Tascam 488?

Masters Of War

I have never recorded before in my life, but lately I have become very excited about the idea, I have no real knowledg about recording or any of the equipment needed. From what I have learned I have come to the conclusion that a Tascam 488 would be nice piece of equipment to start out on, am I getting in over my head, is this too much for someone who knows nothing about recording? How much should I expect to pay total for the 488 and other related items (mics, cabels, ect..). Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Well, it all depends on how good you want to sound. I mean I did my first 4 track recordings using 2 $20 radio shack mics. I've learnt a lot since then and have also spent a fair bit of money. If you get into recording then the number of things on the 'to buy' list will generally be greater than or equal to whatever your budget is :)

Have a read throughout the homerecording site. Like I said, how much you'll need to spend to get started really depends on how much you are willing to spend....

BTW, I've never used a 488, but have a 414mk2 and it was (and still is) a good recorder to learn techniques with.

:D Yo Ninja Man:

The 488 is one nice unit; I had a couple and I've remastered tapes from them to CD on my 2816 and they were pretty darned good.

But, a big BUT, the 488 is old technology. I don't espouse that digital SIABs are better than analog; however, for the home recorder who just wants to do some nice stuff and save time by not having to wait for the tape to rewind, there are SIABs out there from 800 pezzutos to 1500 that will give you a great CD. Depends on how much time you have to go through the learning curve.

But, if you get a 488, it's a great box to build your skills.

Have fun because that is what music is=FUN.

Green Hornet :p :D ;)

The Tascam 488 is a fairly nice unit, especially for starters, but you may want to focus on getting the 488mkII, which gives you a few subtle enhancements over the 488 "std".

Both the 488 [std] and 488mkII can be found in fairly nice condition and at reasonably low bid prices. Expect to pay appx $300-$350 for a low-use, nice condition 488mkII, and somewhat lower for the 488 "std". Also, bid prices on these units is going lower each day, as is all the used analog equipment market.

Both these items are available as used/auction items only, and are not available as new/retail. However, there's still a fair amount of lifespan still available on the low-use 488 and 488mkII, in most cases. As always, price and condition vary daily, so find your best unit, and make your best bid.

I paid $325 for a low-use, ex-cond 488mkII, about 6-9 months ago, and it included a like-new large-format book called "Using Your Portable Studio",... a $25 value, retail. In the analysis, my net cost of the 488mkII was $300,... + shipping, of course.

Good luck!!

So without phantom power i couldn't use a studio projects b1 mic with my 488 right? which means I need to buy a phantom power supply box right? Could anyone suggest a good product for phantom power that's not too expensive (I just spent $250 on the 488 and I'm about to drop another $150 for the mic and related gear), or should I say fuck it and go for the shur SM57. Wow man this stuff is so complex (and expensive), thanks.

I'd say that if your just starting out to buy the 57. Yeah its's unfortunate but it is all going to add up. You can cut your costs by always trying to buy gear that has more than one use and is upwardly compatible. You will always have a use for the 57. Or if you do need phantom power, don't buy a phantom power supply instead buy a small mixer with a couple of usable pre-amps AND phantom power. You'll always be able to find a use for a small mixer.

There's nothing wrong with the SM57!

Everyone needs at least one. It's an inexpensive, high quality mic, that will last a lifetime. I could say more, but I won't.

Other than this:

If you read every post here, you'll come up with about as many preferences and recommendations as Carters has little pills. Not only that, but if you just buy everything that everyone recommends, without any previous base of knowledge, you will be led down many, endless paths of frustration, because you have not learned the basics enough to know what you really need, or how to use properly what you just bought.

You got the 488, which is a good choice. Now, why complicate matters with a mic that requires phantom power? The 488 has only 2 mic preamps, and it does not supply phantom power, as you have learned on your own. Nothing says that phantom power is the "magic bullet", or a phantom powered mic will necessarily give you any better results than a dynamic mic.

Get the 57, use it with the 488, and learn the ropes, before you step off the deep end of gear consumption, with phantom powered mics and external preamps. Stick with the basics, first, otherwise, it will be money spent & gone down the drain.

I've been home recording over 22 years, and I don't yet have a single phantom powered mic or external preamp. The Tascam Portastudio and SM57 does it all.

Learn a bit more about basic recording principles, and the associated recording hardware, before you go headlong into buying everything someone says you "need". You don't need condensor mics, phantom power, external mic preamps, or even DI boxes, to make good recordings with the Tascam Portastudio. It's all not necessary. If you knew that, I wouldn't feel like I have to tell'ya, point blank.

I've read all your posts, and this was my summary response.:eek:

hmm... Thanks for the advice man, too bad I already stepped "off the deep end of gear consumption" and bought the b1 and mic preamp with phantom power, hahaha. Oh man, hopefully when I get this stuff and hooked it all up I won't be feeling as bad about all that "money spent & gone down the drain" as your post is making me think I will. Eh, it will be alright, but then again what do I know...

I've seen you write, over & over, that your budget is just "so much".

That's why I, as a reader, am as frustrated as you, after reading that "one more piece of gear" will solve your problem. That's all. I didn't mean to seem like a jerk, being too stern, over-opinionated, or whatever.

The point was, in a nutshell, that the Portastudio can do it all, with a modest complement of low-tech gear, relatively speaking. I also think this craze about condensor mics, phantom power & external preamps is just that, a craze. You don't "need" that, any more than you need a Ferrari to drive to the corner for milk. The simple basic setup will do'ya.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to be helpful. Instead of steering you toward the next new item, which leads to the next, & the next, I was trying to paint the picture that a simple setup is adequate, and technique is most of the game.

Sorry if it seems that I popped off at you. I'd like to see you spend less on gear while chasing this dream, and get something simple & functional, that gets you recording quickly.

You have to know your gear, too, which doesn't happen overnight,... & doesn't come with a price tag.

I've read your posts,... all of them. You won't regret your higher end gear purchases, in the long run, when you've comprehended enough to use them to their best utility. For starters, it's a bit of overkill,... but I wouldn't mind having that Ferrari to go get milk, either. Ha.

I think the 488 was a good, ground-level purchase, and you might have been best served going right to something the likes of the SM57, before gettin too deeply involved in gear you only half understand. The SM57 is a worthy mic, it's a great match to the 488, and you'll learn ropes of recording, eventually enough to make more informed decisions. It's your budget, not mine, and I'm trying to give a few basic tips on how to maximize it.

Sorry if I was rude. Good luck. That's all.

I didn't think tyou were being rude, but i had just spent $250 on all this mic gear which I thought I "needed" and you telling I just basicaly wasted my money kind of knocked the wind out of me, but it's all good, live and learn. Actually perhaps you could save from making another blunder in gear consumption, I have TDK SM60 tapes for my 488, but I read in one of the posts that the Sony UX Pro is the best type of tape, is this true, is it worth the cash?

I'm sure either tape will be fine.

I didn't mean "waste" in the true sense. "Overkill" might be a bit more accurate, but in the long run, you'll grow into it, I have no doubt. ;)

PHANTOM POWER on 488

If you want Phantom power look on e-bay for a 488 mkii, it's the newer of 488's. It has two phantom power XLR plugs which will handle a STEREO PAIR Of B-1's. I sold one on e-bay 2 months ago for $325 to help pay for a BOSS BR-1600 CD.

Good advice.

Master & I already covered that in another post. You're right about that.
Well worth mentioning again, for the next reader that comes along.

Thanx!!!

488 mention

Greetings. I thought I'd add my 5 cents worth. I've had my 488 for well over 10 years and used the crap out of it the whole time. Here's a few pros/cons if it helps:
pro- i've never had a mechanical problem with it, just maintenance on the heads.
pro- 4 track simutaneous recording
con- no built in XLR inputs
con- runs at 1 1/2 tape speed so requires re-mix down to tape deck to recognize reg tape speed.
con- tape hiss

I've recently priced/purchased/switched to digital multi-track recording, I must advise that that avenue be explored fully. Based on the low cost of many of the digital units on the market these days, as well as interfaces to computer (if one's PC has enough of the right stuff), you can purchase something that you may end up longing for after just a short time. Good luck!

Songwriter333 said:
Greetings. con- runs at 1 1/2 tape speed so requires re-mix down to tape deck to recognize reg tape speed.
con- tape hiss
I do believe that you have to mix down no matter what medium you use unless you intend to never copy or distributw the piece. There is no multi-track recorder that does'nt require you to mix the material down. That would be pretty useless.
Use the DBX. I have found that it virtually eliminates tape hiss. Not trying to be a dick but I just don't see those two "cons" as cons.

Agreed.

The "2x" tape speed gives higher fidelity, so that's a "pro".

Dbx noise reduction virtually eliminates tape hiss.

No XLR inputs can be dealt with using an XLR-to-1/4" transformer-adaptor.

Remember, the 488[std] only has 2 mic preamps, on Channels 1 & 2, and the other inputs are LINE level, which accommodate instrument inputs, but will require an external mixer w/preamps or standalone preamp units to accommodate mics.

I've never used Sony tapes, but as long as they are Type II/Chrome tapes, they should be fine. I've heard "The Green Hornet" recommend the Sony tapes.

Cheers!! ;)

I still have my 488 in the original box. Very low time used and always demaged and cleaned. But I only keep it now to play the old recordings I made with it. I haven't done that in years tho. It's a nice machine, I should mix down my tapes and sell it while it still has value, maybe I will in the next 2 months.

Back