New Tascam 388, question..

taperocket

Hi, I just recently bought a Tascam 388 on e-bay. Its supposed to be in really nice condition so we'll see...So a few questions, I'm not sure if this unit includes a take up reel, if not where can I get one? Also, where is the best place to find tape for this unit?? It takes 1/4", 7" 1800 ft tape. Thanks for your help!

Radio shack used to have reels you might give them a try.
And a couple of months ago i ordered tape for my 388 at American
music supply. I got the 1800 ft Quantegy #457 But I think if I was just going to be recording songs at home and not need to run the recorder for a full 45 minutes I would get the 456 instead
1200 feet. Also if radio shack does not have a blank reel you should be able to find something on ebay with out to much trouble.

Alright I'm set for the recording tape but I still need a blank reel...No go on the Radioshack, they dont sell them anymore. I saw a few online but they just specify that the reel is 7" and not whether or not it is used for 1/4", 1", 2" etc. Will the same reels work for 1/4" , 1/2" etc? Thanks for the help so far, I'm new at reel to reel but i just think analog sounds so much better than digital.

Chances are if its 7" Reel it will be 1/4 inch. Good luck on your 388 its a nice machine and yes you are right that analog is the way to go! Let me know how it goes with your new machine when you get it.

Does it come with a manual?

Herm, thanks for your help, thats kinda what I figured seeing that 7" is a small reel size and that none were labeled for a specfic tape width.
Up to this point I've been recording on the Tascam 488mkII which I honestly believe yielded some really good results...my band recorded on 2" tape for our first album and the sonic quality isnt bad on the 488MKII. Yep, I think it comes with a manual.

There are numerous tape suppliers that sell over the web, and will have empty reels.

geez, too numerous to name, but search this bbs for more clues.

BTW, any 7" reel will be for 1/4" tape.;)

Back