Reaper vs. N-track

Thurgood...

I dont wanna be a smart-ass, but a reaper forum would have more answers than the n-tracks forum.

Thurgood said:
Any sugesstions for making Reaper not crash my PC. (adjusted buffer etc.) still crashes.?? Help.

are you running the demo song wth ogg vorbis audio files? try using wave files, I have heard some people have trouble with projects running ogg vorbis format.

grandpa digs it and he didn't even know it had effects. he just hits record and play.

man, reaper has really came a long way in a short time. it really is a kickass app. i wish someone would develop a stripped down os for it to ride on.

I just downloaded Reaper. Been using N-track for 7 years. I like it, but it is kinda buggy, and I'm tired of always having to play with the buffer settings.

Only problem I have with Reaper so far, is I can't seem to find an EQ for the track. Where the hell is it? Also, I wish there was a way to bring a whole project from N-track into Reaper.

Toker41 said:
I just downloaded Reaper. Been using N-track for 7 years. I like it, but it is kinda buggy, and I'm tired of always having to play with the buffer settings.

Only problem I have with Reaper so far, is I can't seem to find an EQ for the track. Where the hell is it? Also, I wish there was a way to bring a whole project from N-track into Reaper.

It's less buggy than most apps I've used. Actually, less buggy than any recording app I've used. I can't imagine it being more buggy than Ntrack. What issues are you having?

You're looking for Reaeq = Reaper's eq. It's a pretty damn fine one at that. Not to mention the excellent compressor, impulse reverb, and all the Jesusonic goodies, especially some of the user written ones. Reaper is stuffed with useful and good sounding plugins.

Give yourself some time to learn Reaper and you will be rewarded. It's damn fine recording software. I try not to brag on anything around here but Reaper deserves it.

Delta 1010. I can't believe there isn't an EQ right on each track. Pretty basic feature to be missing.

Toker41 said:
Delta 1010. I can't believe there isn't an EQ right on each track. Pretty basic feature to be missing.

It's not missing. It's just not in the way. ;)

Hint: TRACK TEMPLATES.

I'm using a 1010lt here in reaper with no issues. What problems are you having?

There are no track templetes, only an empty folder. All I want is EQ on the track control. Seems like a pretty basic feature that I have never seen a mixer without. I can do it by using a plugin EQ (reaEQ), but shouldn't have to go that route. Should be right on the mixer for the track.

Toker41 said:
There are no track templetes, only an empty folder. All I want is EQ on the track control. Seems like a pretty basic feature that I have never seen a mixer without. I can do it by using a plugin EQ (reaEQ), but shouldn't have to go that route. Should be right on the mixer for the track.

no track templates > there's an easy way to fix that! :D

i don't miss the clutter of other recording software. no eq on default tracks is fine by me. if i want it, i spend 5 seconds adding it to a track. if i don't want it, it's not in the way to begin with. even better, i spend about 2 seconds adding a customized track template for a vocal, guitar, softsynth, etc. with just a couple of clicks. tracks in reaper are universal. any track in reaper can be used as a regular audio track, midi track, send bus, network bus, etc. in other words, a reaper track is a blank canvas for the user to use how he/she sees fit. you aren't forced to follow preconfigured track schemes. you don't have to spend time on and work out a plan for routing before starting a project in reaper. not only that but audio, midi, and networking can live on the same track if wanted. effects can be copy/pasted between tracks to save time in setting up tracks and tracks can be easily duplicated. learn how reaper works and you'll be able to configure it to work best for your needs. reaper is laid out in a very intuitive way but you have to let go of how your other recording software does things.

btw, what were those issues with the 1010 in reaper?

That's all good, but...
....could someone please clue me in as to how to add EQ to the track without using a plugin FX?

I've had great results with N-track. I'm more than willing to try Reaper. I've worked with countless recording, and mixing consoles, in my 25 years of recording, and never have I encountered one without a basic EQ on each channel. I really, really don't understand not having one. Can't imagine how it could be considered "in the way". I shouldn't have to open the FX list, and the EQ plugin every time I want to tweak the EQ on individual tracks. Why would I want extra steps? If there is a way to put the EQ adjustments right on the track mixer, I wish someone would explain it, because I've yet to be able to find a way.

Some people are never willing to make an effort.
Listen,You can set up your trasck "temp plate" to include any or all FX you need (including a GREAT EQ).
Save it and you will only have to do it once.
I prefer not to have my mixer cluttered.
Bardo

bardo said:
Some people are never willing to make an effort.

exactly. toker complained about bugs and won't specify his 1010 issues. complained about no eq available and reaper has a very good quality eq plugin that can be set to show up on default tracks. doesn't matter if it's a plugin or not (it's still 1's and 0's!). you can call it a plugin or a camel. it's still a software eq. i don't know of any recording software that can fit a multiband parametric eq on it's tracks without cluttering things up. 3 knobs required per band!

After 8 years I dropped n and went Reaper after about 2 hours of playing with it and haven't looked back. n is just too buggy and inefficient.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the $40 Reaper purchase, when my PA cabs were repossessed...so now I gotta use that "expendable income" to replace those....

Welcome to the Roller Coaster known as life... :(

i just had a total blast session here after work for the past few hours cutting up, fixing my drum tracks into usable jammable waves in Reaper and it was very smooth, very cool, i'm stoked w/ these tracks, i'm jamming on them, can't stop... :) :)

i dig the automatic cross fades in every cutup wave and the export consolidate the wave from selected or all tracks, i've never seen anything like it...

TravisinFlorida said:
exactly. toker complained about bugs and won't specify his 1010 issues. complained about no eq available and reaper has a very good quality eq plugin that can be set to show up on default tracks. doesn't matter if it's a plugin or not (it's still 1's and 0's!). you can call it a plugin or a camel. it's still a software eq. i don't know of any recording software that can fit a multiband parametric eq on it's tracks without cluttering things up. 3 knobs required per band!

I NEVER claimed I was having bug issues with Reaper. So far, bug free. I simply stated that an eq on the mixer is a pretty basic feature of ANY mixer. I've recorded in multi-million dollar studio's, and in bargain basement barn studios. I have NEVER encountered a mixer without a eq right there, quickly available, without having to bring up new windows. Should be right there. Period. I certainly wouldn't call it "clutter", more like necessity.
Damn, I don't agree with you guys opinion, and suddenly I'm lazy? :rolleyes:
Shouldn't have to put "effort" into the most basic of features.

Back