Alesis Masterlink

why ask why?

Blue Bear Sound said:
Not just me -- it's used in MANY studios all over the place!

The unit is EXCELLENT!!!

Do you guys just use it as a stand alone CD-R? (convienince only)

For a home deck what would it do more than a consumer/best but CD-R..
like my Pioneer (single CD burner) or a Sony and a PC (move the song orders)?

(I'm assuming no one uses the "mastering" effects...)

just curious...

Many use the effects. Do a search, read the reviews. There are direct links to reviews on the Alesis website as well.

I vouch for this baby. I spent 600 of my life savings on it without regret. Its just so easy, convenient and reliable. Good Mastering gadgets too.

COOLCAT said:
Do you guys just use it as a stand alone CD-R? (convienince only)

For a home deck what would it do more than a consumer/best but CD-R..
like my Pioneer (single CD burner) or a Sony and a PC (move the song orders)?

(I'm assuming no one uses the "mastering" effects...)

just curious...

1st off, most home consumer burners are usually equipped with simple 20-bit A/D-D/A converters and sample rates of 44.1/35 or less. Sometimes limited to burning speeds of only 1-4x along with thier finicky perf when using 80min/700mb c/ds, these units produce c/d's w. hi block error rates. Compatibility with particular C/DR's is a must with these units as not all brands
of music c/dr's will function in most home burners.
The Alesis Massa'link is built with hi-end converters,24 bit 44.1/48 sampling,normalizing,peaklevelling(mastering) functions and is a most essential tool for producing a quality product.

2 ?'s

MISTERQCUE said:
1st off, most home consumer burners are usually equipped with simple 20-bit A/D-D/A converters and sample rates of 44.1/35 or less. Sometimes limited to burning speeds of only 1-4x along with thier finicky perf when using 80min/700mb c/ds, these units produce c/d's w. hi block error rates. Compatibility with particular C/DR's is a must with these units as not all brands
of music c/dr's will function in most home burners.
The Alesis Massa'link is built with hi-end converters,24 bit 44.1/48 sampling,normalizing,peaklevelling(mastering) functions and is a most essential tool for producing a quality product.

you've intriqued me some..
on the home burner-standalone, your true.
I can only use Maxell blue backs consistently.
and it has a somewhat trebly reproduction,
as tested with store bought CD's. the fiber optic helps.

?2)normalizing and leveling, i thought this was a bad thing
unless a Mastering House does it?

?1) you say "simple 20bit" home units?
the new DP01(Tascam Porta studio 8track) has 16bit 44.1??bad?
i seriously thinking of upgrading my Yammie MD8 for it..$500..kinda a
technophobe and a musician/songwriter recording gearhead porta-potty
trained. This unit sounds great.

my pioneer CD-R is old...but its more user friendly than
the pc for quick burn and off to the car.

I use some of the effects.... the EQ is useful in small amounts (never needed large amounts!) and the Limiter is a hidden gem in my opinion. For certain tracks it adds a nice punch and lift to help cement a mix (in this case, I don't use it for volume....)

I am young home studio builder and have been looking and contemplating to buy this unit soon. When I complete my bands album and burned it from the Masterlink then sent it to a professional master'er, would I get better results sending the burned copy from the Masterlink to a mastering Pro. or get the same or worse results from burning the final mix from a standard burner then sending it to a mastering Pro.?

One of the cool futures of the masterlink is you can burn in 16 bit , 24 bit sample rate 44.1 48 khz , 88.2 khz and 96 khz
So for example when you're recording in 24bit - 48khz you can mix it to the masterlink in the same format and burn it in the same format and send it to your mastering house, a (normal) cd recorder is 441.hz and 16 bit

Remco

I paid $1300 for mine when they first came out, and would do it again. For $600, what are you waiting for? It's a bargain. And an excellent tool. Al

Outboard c/d burners in my small arsenal is the Tascam CDRW700, HHB, Onkyo 513 and the cheapest-of-the-cheap, Phillips 765. My pc burners are
a Plextor and a Pacific Digital.
I use the Tascam mostly as it's A/D/A converters are excellent, a 48 sample rate, extremely low BLER's (even @ slow speeds) and can burn both yellow and red book standards. A nice tool for producing hi-quality, 2-track mixes of your jammies!
But d@mnnnnn would I love to get my grimy hands on a freakin' Massa'Link and eventually I'm gonna' get me one of those bad-boyz, unfortunately, I've been suffering from a disease called "BROKE-ITIS" which has prevented me from satisfying my G.A.S. (gear acquisition sysndrome) addiction. :(

Hopefully I can get a great price selling off my mother's and 2 of my sister's jewelry they were so nice to let me have 2 weeks ago when I entered thier homes' 1 late Saturday evening while they were out for a dinner & a movie!
I'll pay them back right after producing a hit song that'll sell 5mil copies mixed down on my new A-Massa'link!!!!

Sounds like a plan, right!!? ;)

masterlink

i was looking at one in GC, $799.
but you could get a damn nice PC and CDR, with some
freeware, decent audio-card for that price.

whats this burning - red book mean?

Is this compatible with the Masterlink?
confused, seems there's 2 different S/PDIF cables?
RCA and the light fiber??

<S/PDIF digital optical output>

Back