Alesis Masterlink

I agree with Bruce that the limiter is a gem. Here's what I often do: I run the normalize function to find out how much I can boost the signal without distorting. Then I turn off the normalizer and boost the gain so I end up with peaks that are around -3 to -5 db. Then I turn on the limiter, and slowly run down the threshold until I get a little enhancement of the sound. And that's it! It seems to work great every time I have tried it. I love it.
Al

can you use the converters in it for tracking. ive herd they use good converters . also i read that you can get it modded for even better sound? who is offering that service and what does it do?

gemsbok said:
can you use the converters in it for tracking. ive herd they use good converters .
You could, they're decent enough...

also i read that you can get it modded for even better sound? who is offering that service and what does it do?
Not sure why you'd bother -- just use outboard A/Ds-D/As.... I use Lucids on mine, and there's a not-so-subtle improvement in sound quality (makes the good sounding unit even better!)

AEL said:
I agree with Bruce that the limiter is a gem. Here's what I often do: I run the normalize function to find out how much I can boost the signal without distorting. Then I turn off the normalizer and boost the gain so I end up with peaks that are around -3 to -5 db. Then I turn on the limiter, and slowly run down the threshold until I get a little enhancement of the sound. And that's it! It seems to work great every time I have tried it. I love it.
Al

Aha! That's the post I was looking for. Okay, I'm with you on the "run the normalizer and then turn it off" part, but how do you boost the gain after that?

Oops - nevermind...I found it. DOH! Thanks for the tip though - that sounds way better than the normalizer. :)

AEL said:
Al

Ditto,,,I just bought one of these toys, so I need the step by step for this method>? When its normalized (to the distortion point), how do you monitor this to know? Or do you just burn a couple CD's to hear the outcome? Hey,,, am a newB :D Hook a brotha up! :D (sorry for that last remark, I was listening to Acid beat loops tonight and got me thinkin that way ....LOL) :D

Peace :cool:
AJ

"Boost the gain" means to go to the playlist edit screen and increase the number in the upper right hand corner. Just use the normalize calculation to tell you how much to boost the gain and still leave a little headroom. Does this answer your question? Al

Back