Zoom R16 External Microphone Feedback

Vyodacoda

I have a problem with Feedback.
I use the R16 for recording and as a Mixer for Live Performance .
When on a live performance I get Feedback from the mics. I normally use a Peavey Microphone, both my vocal partner and I also have a Shure SM58. It happens with either of these Mics.
The speakers are always placed in from of us and I often use headphones as a monitor.
Any help with dealing with feedback will be very useful.
Many Thanks,
Barry,

Full Setup
Zoom R16,
Electric Guitar into Slot 1. Sometimes another guitarist joins us and goes into Slot 2.
iPad to play backing tracks that I record on keyboards and other instruments. Goes into slots 3+4
Slot 5 and 6 have Microphones.
Shure SM58 or Peavey mic into slot 7 or 7+8 if I use a TC_Helicon Perform VK Vocal Processor.
Slots 7 and 8 are Coupled.
Internal Mics are turned off.
Outputs to a Behringer PA utilising just 1 stereo channel. The PA has no effects selected as I prefer them to come from the R16.
I have tried a Behringer FBQ without much success.
I hope this helps.

I don't think that the R16 is responsible for the feedback. Feedback comes when a signal coming from the speakers is picked up by the microphone and is amplified, picked up again and again.

The things that cause feedback are 1) volume, 2) microphone rejection (or lack of) 3) peaks in frequency response. One way to address feedback is to determine what frequencies are being affected, and drop those frequencies with EQ or a feedback suppressor. If you're in a small room, or one with very lively surfaces, it will accentuate that problem as the sound bounces around the room.

You can insert an EQ before the master volume output, but you'll still need to figure out what frequencies are causing the problem.

Hi There,
Many thanks for your prompt reply. I agree that it is not the R16 that is responsible, but it is the only place that I can intercept the signals.
I also think that you are right that EQ is the way to go. I am just wonderfing if there is a methodolgy of how to isolate the frequencies in the R16 as I do not understand the eq system and how it works. It is not the same as seeing the EQ sliders etc.
Many thanks for your help and information it is much appreciated.
Best regards,
Barry.

Can you elaborate a bit on the situation where you are getting the feedback? Small room? High volume?

Depending on hour your system is configured, you might be able to insert something like this between the R16 and the amplifier.

FBQ8000 EQ/Feedback Suppressor

We play mainly in large communal rooms of retirment homes so it is a lot bigger than a room.
I have purchased the 6 band version of the FBQ but when I insert it between the R16 nf the PA, it modulates the entire output and we lose all of the top frequencies.
I played in the place that I live a couple of days ago and I could only take the volume up as far as the mics would not feedback and I was told that I was too quiet.
So I seem to see it as the answer either lies in the R16 or I have to purchase a better mixer.
Many thanks for your help once again. It is very much appreciated.
Best regards,
Barry.

Back