Zoom MRS-4

RJ133

Hello all . First post . I've recently purchased an mrs-4 4 track digital recorder . It came with a 128mb smart media card . I was able to open it with an external card reader but the contents cannot be played on my windows 10 computer . I recorded a couple tracks and when I pop it into the card reader it says they were modified in dec. 2001 . Same as the tracks that were already on there which I deleted . Anyway do you think the card had been corrupted or is there some kind of formatting step on the recorder itself that I'm missing ?

Thanks .

The Zoom MRS has a proprietary audio format, not the standard WAV or MP3 formats. You need to download the Zoom Card File Manager, found on the Zoom website here. It will allow you to convert the native MRS audio files to WAV format and back. It says WIn 98/ME/2000/XP, so you might have issues running under Win 10. I suspect its 16bit software, which precludes running under Win 10 64 bit. You might be able to run it under Win 7. If not, you'll need to either find an old computer to do the conversion, or run under a virtual machine with something like Win98 installed.

Also, download the manual and look at page 57. It tells you more about the file format.

Thanks . I downloaded the card reader but there's a registration process which I don't have a number for . I was able to get a free trial version on there but I can't get it to do anything . Looks like this recorder is pretty much useless to me .

Strange that you have to register software for a proprietary device.. You might contact Zoom for assistance. They may have a work around. Be aware that it's a 20 year old interface, so you have to expect there might be issues like that.

Back