Zildjian ZBT

As a trash-can lid...

If you absolutely positively have to get a cheap "sheet bronze" cymbal, please don't make it a Zildjian ZBT. Don't get me wrong, Zildjian makes wonderful cymbals in the higher categories (cast bronze) but their entry level cymbals just don't cut it.

I would much rather look into Paiste Alphas or Sabian B8pros. I've heard them and they all blow away the Zildjian ZBTs. But the best thing you could do is wait, save a bit of money and buy a "real" high-end cymbal (Zildjian A, A Custom, K, K Custom, Z Custom; Sabian HH, Sig, AA, AAX; Paiste Dimensions, Signature, Traditionals, etc.)

You can always improve the sound of a crappy drum by changing the heads, muffling it, tuning it properly. But a piece of trashcan lid will always sound shitty.

I highly disagree.
I have ZBT's and like the sound maybee that means I have bad ears or maybee I come from a punk background were it didnt matter.
But I have em and and have played with many other players who like em to. for the money they are good.
there like buying a $200 - $400 dolar guitar.
Sure I culd go get a gibson guitar but who has a grand to blow, So I bought a mexi fender. I dont so If thats what ya can aford then get em.
-Reco

well, i play in punk / ska / swing bands and i dont exactly have a shitload of cash to throw around...

would the ZBT's be a better buy over maybe the Paiste 502's or 802's???

I've played all those entry-level cymbals, heard them being played and even owned some.

If I was to buy a set of them, I'd get...
Paiste 502-802-Alpha Hats
Sabian B8pro Ride
Sabian B8pro Chinese (the best ever, thrashy like hell)

And as for crashes, I think all of them are harsh and piercing, which can be good for punk music. But if you were to play say jazz or funk, you couldn't use them (IMO).

Salabim said:
Any good?

Tim

Back in the 80's, Zildjian had a budget line called Amir, and they were killer sounding Cymbals; they easily fit in with The A line-the just sounded like cymbals, and there was nothing "budget" about their sound.
They quit making them, and that was one of the worst mistakes they ever made-because none of the Budget lines ever sounded like a real Cymbal since then.

The Best sounding Budget lines are the Paiste Alpha and the B8Pro's.
From my perspective, the rest of them are like buying, Camber Cymbals.

So you have 3 options:
1. Buy budget Cymbals
2. Save your Money.
3. Buy used.

I would say go with Option 3, for the price of a budget set, you can get a used set of REAL Cymbals.

My current Hi-hat set was bought used in 1991.
I got Paiste 14" 2002 Soundedges (I bought 23 Paiste Cymbals from a Paiste Endorser- a Set of 2002's, and a Set of Rudes)
I turned around and pieced out what I didn't want-and made my investment back!

Thanks Marty! I owe ya one man!

Anyway, Look on Ebay; Check out Daddy's Junky Music
(Used Gear By Mail-is one of the biggest Used Dealers in America! I've gotten tons of deals from them-including a pair of PA cabinets that were almost $3,000 new-I got them used for $600 AND they paid the shipping on them!)

http://www.ugbm.com

If you buy through E-bay, remember it's buyer beware-that said, as someone who has done some wheeling and dealing on E-bay, I have not gotten ripped off yet, and I've found that most people have been pretty Honest in their descriptions, but I do believe that your purchases are backed (I.e, you send so and so a Money Order, and he doesn't even send it to you)

Tim

502!

Yeah if ya can get em get the 502's!
I had some before but I wuz stupid an sold em.

Re: 502!

reco said:
Yeah if ya can get em get the 502's!
I had some before but I wuz stupid an sold em.

Are you talking about 602's? The 602's are the ones that Bonham and the guys in the late 60's and early 70's used.
They were an awesome cymbal line.
The 502 is a current "entry level" cymbal.

Tim

Im talkin the 502's
They are a little better than entry the 302's are entry level.

I work in a drum shop and I am constantly asked to recommend ZBT vs. B8 vs. 302. After closely listening to all of these product lines (way more than I really want to) I find it difficult to truly recommend one over another. They are all inexpensive, entry level cymbals, and the compromise of sound is obvious. I would always recommend saving your money until you can buy the sound you really want (buy cheap - buy twice) However, if you don't have much to spend and you want/need cymbals right away, any of them can do the job, in particular if you are not playing at a professional level. Bottom line, trust your ears.

Paiste 302, 402, 502, 802's

is there any difference between the 'new' and the old 302, 402, 502, 802s????

Back