Zildjian A or Z custom's

im sure you know but these cymbals are fucking loud!

I have A newbeat high hats
A custom ping ride
Z custom crash

All i can say is they sound amazing as far as recording goes i really dont know which are better all i know is i came up from b8s and jesus christ these things are muscle car loud

z customs are a much thicker cymbal the Zildjian A is probably going to be the way to go. Get Newbeat hats you can't loose with them.

petermiller said:
z customs are a much thicker cymbal the Zildjian A is probably going to be the way to go. Get Newbeat hats you can't loose with them.
yeah i love my newbeat hats sickest sound fromt hem so brutal :eek:

A's are gonna be way better for recording, unless your playing some hardcore crap ya know, but yull get a much better tone with A's

I go with Zildjian A or A Customs almost always. Zildjian does make some "studio" designed cymbals, not as harsh.

a will probably be best but z can work awsome for recording too but you will have to use mics on all the drums so you can turn the overheads down alot and all the other drums up. but if taht is the case i would use z crashes and hats but thats just because i like the sound of them if you can mic everything use the ones you like more, if you are only able to use 3 or 4 mics probalby shouldnt consider z. zs record great you just have to be equiped to record them

mmmmm newbeat hi hats...

ahhh i wish i had the courage to mix cymbals... im a sabian man myself

go with the a's

random.hero said:
mmmmm newbeat hi hats...

ahhh i wish i had the courage to mix cymbals... im a sabian man myself

go with the a's

I'm all about the Sabians too (mostly thanks to a great customer service experience I had with them over 16 years ago), but I love New Beats, and I have an early 80's Zildjian crash that flat out rules.

As far as the OP's question, I say As all the way. Zs are way too thick and need to be bashed in order to pull their tone out of them. In a recording situation, I wouldn't want to be wailing away on my cymbals on every hit, nor would I want to be recording a drummer who just bashes non-stop with no dynamic control. But that's just me :-)

well it depends on the music, pop punk type of stuff i like zs alot, as with some heavier rock and metal and even punk like lagwagon i like the zs, sometimes it sounds better to wail on the cymbal.... then again alot of times it doesnt as well

z's only sound good to me if you are willing to beat the crap out of them.
when they work, they work, but they don't seem to be as versital.

giraffe said:
z's only sound good to me if you are willing to beat the crap out of them.
when they work, they work, but they don't seem to be as versital.
oh they definately arent as versital, but that doesnt mean there arent some times they dont sound really really good

I have A and A custom crashes, and they sound just beautiful on tape. Never really liked the Z's, but that's just me.
Cheers!

Like every one else here, I love my A customs. However, like also mentioned, sometimes the Z's have that sound that works "better" for certain styles. I would like to take that one step further and say sometimes they may work better for specific drummers. If you ever end up with one of those drummers who beats the hell out of their cymbals, but not out of the other drums, the Z's may be a life saver:)

I don't know if I maybe wrong, but I've played Z's before, and for them to deliver, you have to hit 'em hard. So it also would depend on what kind of music you're trying to record.
Cheers!

I used to play z customs because im a "metal" guy and i thought they were cool. They sound alright but nothing compares to the tone of a custom cymbals which is all I use now.

Back