Youve got to be kidding me.

uh, please.... there's nothing wrong with getting that "classic pack" on your screen.

Frankly, I don't know vintage high end studio gear from shinola and wouldn't be able to tell the difference. My main reason for getting the card would be to keep from maxing out the system CPU with too many plugins.

Frankly, I don't know vintage high end studio gear from shinola and wouldn't be able to tell the difference. My main reason for getting the card would be to keep from maxing out the system CPU with too many plugins.
Uh, I didn't mean to throw a stone at your intentions :) , really!
My point was - get it if you need it. It's all good as long as you are aware about what your are getting.

btw, a nicely rendered high resolution animated images with Desktop Alpha Blending enabled DOES require a lot of CPU power , so with things like multiple Studers all over your screen and what not that "card" can be really handy. Without the "card" those reels may start freaking out and get pretty jumpy and you have a complaining customers at your doorstep....heh heh

And, that's why the "deal" is: Buy the card and get the "classic pack" "free" ... LOL.

when I said that it's a "near criminal enterprise" I DID mean it.

uhhhh, anyway ....

cheers everybody !!!!!!!!!! :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

There's one and ONLY one roughly speaking "gadget" out there (in the "box" , that is), and it's called DSP.
The rest of "it" is just bunch of re-packaged presets, active "X-Y fields" on your screen and variety of really cool looking skins, and it's all mixed with user's imagination :D

As for the "demo track sound" on that promo, it sounds to me really great :p , reminded me the video of my friend's 4 year old son practicing hockey. ;)
here it is:

If Yuri Ushakov isn't a great name for a hockey player, I don't know what is.

Kid's good.

The volume difference between the A-B samples automatically disqualifies it from any consideration.

If they matched peak volume to show the added gain from the "tape compression", that might be acceptable - but then they would need to mention that. Otherwise, it's insulting tricks.

I have a UAD-1, and it forever pisses me off that engaging the Pultec or Fairchild raises the gain. OT - I know Har-Bal gets easily dismissed, but it automatically adjusts the output volume to compensate for EQ changes. That is more useful than raising the volume and adding distortion.

I don't disagree, though my sense of outrage over this one product is diminished in the context of all the other absurdities in the recording world today. I'm just grateful I have a mixer and a couple of tape machines that work and I can record without constantly looking over my shoulder wondering if I need to upgrade converters, use more plug-ins, mix "out of the box," use a "summing" box, add an imitation of a tape machine or look at a screen. But then I don't think recordings are more important than playing music, either.

Cheers,

Otto

Why are some people so OCD about converters anyway? Aren't we talking about artifacts that only a tiny fraction of people will be able to hear?

Why are some people so OCD about converters anyway? Aren't we talking about artifacts that only a tiny fraction of people will be able to hear?
well .... probably in the case of most modern converters but it's possible for a converter to be so poorly designed it doesn't even reproduce the correct pitch!

There's a whole consumer mentality about so much of the recording equipment world that leads to people obsessing about gear and never being satisfied with what they have. One delight of working with my old junk is that I'm simply not on that train. I just don't think about that kind of stuff. Just have to keep the old machines clean and working.

Cheers,

Otto

There's a whole consumer mentality about so much of the recording equipment world that leads to people obsessing about gear and never being satisfied with what they have. One delight of working with my old junk is that I'm simply not on that train. I just don't think about that kind of stuff. Just have to keep the old machines clean and working.

Cheers,

Otto

Now that I think about it, all the books I've read seem to be showcases of expensive high-end gear. Bob Katz rambles on and on about dither noise in his book before he says one word about any practical techniques. The reality for me is that some of my vintage keyboards have so much internal noise that -120dB dither noise wouldn't even begin to be the major problem.

...my sense of outrage over this one product is diminished in the context of all the other absurdities in the recording world today. ....
Cheers,

Otto
Uh! That's a good one! :)
Here's the "problem" though ....
In the past "absurdities" have been sold in a nice metal cases with cool sets of knobs and stuff like that. Nowday you get "them" just as is ... absurdity in its pure form -as an idea for your empty yet imaginative mind, that is. :D

"Is this a real life? Is this a fantasy ......"
And, so let's envision a modern profesional sound engineer, who just had found out that 456-reel at 15 yeeps' on Piggy and GP9-reel at 30 yeeps' on Mama'Drammer REALLY make them meaty and punchin' through the rest of the "mix"..... heh heh
:p

With courtesy of 10 Musical Events That Could Be Considered Torture (event #3) and The Muppets: Bohemian Rhapsody we can do it, so.....
....shall we?
Here you go - (see attached)
:D

Attachments

• is_this_a_real_world.jpg
    is_this_a_real_world.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 23
Back