Youve got to be kidding me.

And, at $350 no less! Cheaper than running a real A800 for sure.

Now, I want a plugin to simulate an Ampex 350 (ok, throw in a 600 too), and while we're at it, a 3M Mincom M23, a Magnecord PT-6, a Sony TC-101, and a Wollensak T1500. But, I also want to simulate all the mechanical flaws too, I want the flutter and wow, the scrape flutter, the azimuth instability due to guidance issues, and yes, I want to pick my tape type, everything from 111 to 456 and beyond, including print-through and drop-out. I want a bias control so I can simulate under-bias with high THD and extended high end, or over-bais with low THD and a rolled-off high end at will, and I want to simulate the response bumps of a record EQ that can't track bias self-erasure. I want each flaw...oops, sorry, parameter...to be variable from zero to "realistic". Might as well toss in a worn or dirty head simulation while we're at it.

Is that asking too much? Oh, and I want that by next Tuesday, if you don't mind...I got this session with a guy who plays virtuoso jews harp, which I'm gonna mic with a new SDC into an IC preamp, but digitally simulate an original Harry Olson/RCA-PB31 ribbon....

Jim

PS, yes, I'm kidding you. Sorry if I pegged the sarcast-o-meter.

Happy new year! :drunk::drunk::drunk:
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy, Baby! :drunk:

and now it's time for a word of wisdom from a real "PRO":
"I think everybody understood that tape machines were tone shaping tool that's why there were diffrent formulations of tape, I mean, you have your 456 , GP9 and it really dictated how hard you could hit it with level before you start getting saturation , before you start getting distortion"

:laughings::laughings::laughings:

okay, I guess it's cool for some, but to me this smells like: click, click, click, CRASH!! To me, analog is more a way of recording and working then it is about sound (while that's a factor too). You are just not using the right side of the brain with all these digital gadgets.

I heard about this and watched the "demo vid" several weeks back. I don't know what's more more pathetic, the general lack of a real demonstration of the product, or that what little you do hear of it is obviously played a couple dBs louder than without...that's slimy salesmanship even for a plug-in maker. And 350 bucks for a digital distortion plugin? Aack.

That said, even though it's like trying to give yourself a lush new pair of lips using lipstick, I suspect I'd rather hear this thing on ProTools mixes than without, but it's kinda like choosing between crabs and the clap, ya know? I'd rather not have either lol...

No human being on earth would hear a difference between the before and after if it wasnt side by side.

Think about that.

The musical examples provided were all the most generic musical creations possible. If you are writing like that, you have bigger problems than whether you are recording analog or digital.

Terrible invention created for terrible musicians.

That said, even though it's like trying to give yourself a lush new pair of lips using lipstick, I suspect I'd rather hear this thing on ProTools mixes than without, but it's kinda like choosing between crabs and the clap, ya know? I'd rather not have either lol...
Or, to put it more succinctly;

You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig. :D

Cheers! :)

You are just not using the right side of the brain with all these digital gadgets.
There's one and ONLY one roughly speaking "gadget" out there (in the "box" , that is), and it's called DSP.
The rest of "it" is just bunch of re-packaged presets, active "X-Y fields" on your screen and variety of really cool looking skins, and it's all mixed with user's imagination :D

As for the "demo track sound" on that promo, it sounds to me really great :p , reminded me the video of my friend's 4 year old son practicing hockey. ;)
here it is:

With the plugin enabled it just sounds like they're adding a little compression and gain. Hmm.
Compression , gain ...what ever, it does not matter .... - re-packaged DSP preset, that is.
That's exactly what I'm "ranting" about.
This is a near criminal enterprise, in my not so humble opinion.
They don't tell a customer/buyer what exactly they sell, insted they sell what ever they sell as something that it is NOT!

That's why I completely dismiss everything about it, period.
But then again, as I've mentioned before, anybody who buys these "revolutionary products" deserves every penny of it.

:spank:

Magnecord PT-6

OMG!!!

I started in radio in 1967...I probably ran enough tape through those God-forsaken machines to go around the Equator a couple of dozen times.

But there is probably somebody out there who believes the Magnecord is the epitome of analog greatness...

I also want to simulate all the mechanical flaws too, I want the flutter and wow, the scrape flutter, the azimuth instability due to guidance issues....

You'd think a plugin masquerading as a tape deck would have all that, right?

Going on and on about this is practically preaching to the choir when done in this particular forum, but its insane to think of what the target audience is for this plug-in. Anyone with decent money and studio can afford a tape machine. Also, i think anyone with decent background in recording would know that the difference between an actual tape and what this plug-in is doing is something concrete. It goes beyond something that can be recreated in a fake way. If i was all uptight about being entirely in the box, and wanted to go outside the box to a tape machine to get all the anomalies and character of a real magnetic tape, a plug-in like this is an absolute failure simply because its still just digital. The plug-in is barely doing anything to the signal. Youd see more of a difference just using a different mic or preamp. UA makes some decent products, but they are slipping more and more into just plain BS and they should really take a look at themselves and take a stance that is more genuine and more about creating an actual improvement or solution for creative recordists rather than just watering down the elements that already exist. We already have tape. We already have digital. You are only finding ways to sell us the same shit we already have with a different name with almost no improvement whatsoever. I dont see anyone falling for this product who knows anything about sound or recording. Anyone fooled into thinking that this is what they need to finally make the next step up artistically needs to take about 20 more steps that they dont even realize are there. It just seems like such a massive waste of time, this kind of stuff.

BTW, the new forum look sucks.

The target audience is exactly the opposite of the audience UA should be striving to maintain credibility with. Makes me want to rethink the whole idea of getting a UAD-2 card now.

... Makes me want to rethink the whole idea of getting a UAD-2 card now.
uh, please.... there's nothing wrong with getting that "classic pack" on your screen.

just as there's nothing wrong with playing "Call of Duty" , just enter your age for access (as it's for "mature" only, ya'know ...heh heh heh), and you're in :D

HAPPY 2011, again :drunk:

p.s.
the age of darkness is here.

Back