Youtube okay, or seen as self-promotion?

I usually put my video stuff over in the vid forum, but what you've been posting is live work for audio comment - so though it is video aimed, it is audio intended - and belongs here.

Sorry but YouTube is another definition of "hope" and there is no such thing as hope unless the word "false" precedes it. I have stuff on soundclick l uploaded in 2006. It's a good reference. Youboob for me served a purpose 10 years ago, haven't uploaded anything since.

I feel that music videos (if the video shows the performer actually performing the music and not just poncing around in front of the camera) are so far superior to audio-only that there's no comparison.

Also, in terms of getting feedback about the audio portion of video projects (what this forum does), it's useful for listeners/critics to hear it as it's going to ultimately be heard (in my case, after YT has run it through their 'squash it to -14 LUFS' machinery).

Anyway, I wanted to know if people were critical about me posting my stuff in its Youtube format here. From what most people have said, it seems not.

Anyway, I wanted to know if people were critical about me posting my stuff in its Youtube format here. From what most people have said, it seems not.

Speaking for myself, I have no issues with anyone posting YouTube video links here, with or without 'the performer actually performing the music and not just poncing around in front of the camera' as you put it.

So, okay and no criticism from me even if there is an element of self promotion.

Youtube view counts are like FB likes - I enjoy seeing both - it's like applause. There's ambition ('Hey, let's see if this one gets a hundred views.') but it's like the ambition to do nine holes of golf in under 45. It's part of the game. But the main reason I post the videos is because I think it's the best way to present the music.

Reactions: TAE
Youtube view counts are like FB likes - I enjoy seeing both - it's like applause. There's ambition ('Hey, let's see if this one gets a hundred views.') but it's like the ambition to do nine holes of golf in under 45. It's part of the game. But the main reason I post the videos is because I think it's the best way to present the music.
Totally agree brother..It's a great parking place on the internets where we can store and share our works with our friends and family and the world if the world gives a shit. It's one thing to say I'm a musician and another to be able to pop up your YT channel on your phone and say here, see, that's me! Crazy right? For sure

I have a mansion, forget the price

I’ve never been there, they tell me it’s nice
My favorite line in that is: 'They say I'm lazy but it takes all my time'.

I can so understand that. Plus, the inescapable inner logic of it is a beautiful thing.

I think Soundcloud is a great idea as well...btw I've subscribed to your YouTube Channel!

I've come and gone a lot for a long time, yeah. I don't know if that makes me anything but old.

The Cicada story lost to the evil hands that permanently deleted all of the post in the Cave from the internets ...fun memory of a well told story.

Self promotion used to be a vile thing, but it doesn't matter anymore. That was from back in the days where everyone but you was making money off your work. They set it up so that only managers could do booking etc, and take a cut to make a living. And managers were mostly vile nasty people. Today there is no money anymore, so all that is left is self promotion. I mean who is going to market your project for you?

YouTube is a reference, it really isn't a promotional platform. You can try to do it that way, but the yield is very small. I say me for a parable again.

Look at the Hardware album Billy Gibbons just put out. My song got 50,000+ hits but that only translates to like $25. Now "She's on Fire" got a million hits, but that is only the equivalent of like $600. Those figures just don't represent a living income. I would say that Hardware sold less than 1000 physical albums, and maybe a few hundred CD's. So that may have actually been a loss.

Take Taylor Swift for example, she gets millions of hits on everything constantly, yet screams about how little she makes. YouTube is a good way of showing your family, look mom, lm still in LA and didn't get sold into white slavery like everyone said was going to happen.

That's right, plus you can post stuff on Youtube and never be pro no matter how many views it gets. But if a song's on a streaming service, does that make you pro?

That's right, plus you can post stuff on Youtube and never be pro no matter how many views it gets. But if a song's on a streaming service, does that make you pro?
I kind of just answered that question on another thread. But lan Hill of Judas Priest and l had a long talk about that years ago. And the answer is no. I get quarterly royalty payments from BMG and BMI but l don't consider myself a professional at all. Streaming services are kind of in a grey legal area. Once you do that, you corrupt your catalog. Meaning if you sell your catalog it's worth much more if it was never released in any shape or form. But if nobody has ever heard your work, what kind of offer can you expect to get. It's a Catch-22. All the catalog buyer can do is hope to farm out one of your songs to a film, that wants something like it that has never been heard. Whole it's instant gratification getting likes and hits, you devalue your work that way. None of which is very professional.

Now our law firm used to specialize in entertainment law. People say your full of crap your story makes no sense. Well maybe it doesn't. Why did l spend all that money going to law school to never take the bar and become a lawyer?

Well it's like this. I'm a musician first, and lawyers lead dismal pathetic lives. I thought l wanted that but when l finished law school, l was having way too much fun. If l became a full blown lawyer all the fun was going to have to end. Confidentiality etc.

So l was torn. Make wads of cash or keep running with Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll. So it was a no brained. I chose to go with drugs and drunken orgies. Which sounds terrible but trust me it doesn't suck. And we can still talk about matters of entertainment law.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1498711085505.jpg
    FB_IMG_1498711085505.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 5
Back