Your Sympathy

andrushkiwt

Older song redone with things I've learned from HR folk over the years. About the gear:

vox - sm7b, SSL EQ, CLA-76, LA2A
vox FX - switching in and out a set of distorted vocals, free distortion plugin and EQ
guitars - Gibson 2001 studio gothic, hybrit (lepou plugins) head into Amplitube recto 2x2 cab, CLA-76, LA2A
bass - Fender pbass, GNX3000 Ampeg head into Ashland cab, SSL-EQ, tubedriver free plugin, CLA-76, LA2A
drums - superior drummer 3 NY Avatar set, CLA-76, LA2A, plus a second track of compressed drums mixed into the main drum signal, 20:1 CLA-76

abbey road plate reverb

main - SSL-EQ, SSL G compressor, J37 tape delay plugin, waves limiter

Nicely done. It kept nagging me, kept reminding me of another song, then I nailed it down : The Cure - Lovesong

Your verses and bass part just seemed to ring that bell to me.

Did you ever find a sweet spot in your home for recording vocals and acoustics?

Last edited:
Nicely done. It kept nagging me, kept reminding me of another song, then I nailed it down : The Cure - Lovesong

I'm sure there's a better spot than what I'm using, I'm just too lazy to move around :) I like having the mic behind my chair so I can just pivot and sing into it and be within reach of my computer and DAW.

Great job and welcome back! You’ve been gone a while.
Thanks RFR. Haven't written or done much in a long while, you're right. This is even an older song, maybe 8 yrs old. The only stuff I've been compelled to write in the last year is 60s/70s style rock, using lots of 7ths and suspended chords etc. I had maybe 10 songs I was working on but it's sat there unfinished for several months.

Reactions: RFR
Good arrangement, good playing, good sound. I'm glad you didn't make this one all about the guitars - I really liked the bass. What a ton of work making sure a tune sounds this good, yes?

Good arrangement, good playing, good sound. I'm glad you didn't make this one all about the guitars - I really liked the bass. What a ton of work making sure a tune sounds this good, yes?
Thanks Dobro. Sure, it's a lot of work. But I'm getting most of it dialed in as I record nowadays. The longest part is always writing the drum tracks and hand-adjusting everything to give it a live feel. I have a blank song template saved with my usual plugins, reverb etc... I just apply EQ and compression later on.

Thanks for the compliments and kind words

Thanks RFR. Haven't written or done much in a long while, you're right. This is even an older song, maybe 8 yrs old. The only stuff I've been compelled to write in the last year is 60s/70s style rock, using lots of 7ths and suspended chords etc. I had maybe 10 songs I was working on but it's sat there unfinished for several months.
Well, get back to work. :D
Love to hear some of your 60s/70s stuff

I just gave this a good listen. Man, I love the sound and the song. This is the type of thing that I listened to years ago. I'd have bought the album based on that song alone.

I just gave this a good listen. Man, I love the sound and the song. This is the type of thing that I listened to years ago. I'd have bought the album based on that song alone.
Awesome, thanks man. Glad the sound is good, taken me years to get it. Tons of help from ppl here, including RFR who posted earlier up top. I do hope it doesn't sound too dated... I'm a 90s kid so lots of alternative rock influence.

Ive had this on a playlist

There is a similar groove to Lovesong, but to me this is far better. the Dynamics, Energy , & Emotion really drive this to another level.
Great Ear to Catch that!

@andrushkiwt's material has a lot of energy and dynamics.
that's almost surely the nirvana influence ;) loud/soft, changing gears, noisy feedback sometimes... on that note, I found this pretty cool plugin for simulating feedback. It's called BC Acufiend. I might have paid a small amount for it, I think, but it does a pretty decent job. Tons of settings to mess with, changing the octave of the feedback, threshold, pitch, etc... Anytime you hear feedback from me, it's coming from that. Maybe I should make a post about it in another thread, more ppl might like it and find use for it.

that's almost surely the nirvana influence ;) loud/soft, changing gears, noisy feedback sometimes... on that note, I found this pretty cool plugin for simulating feedback. It's called BC Acufiend. I might have paid a small amount for it, I think, but it does a pretty decent job. Tons of settings to mess with, changing the octave of the feedback, threshold, pitch, etc... Anytime you hear feedback from me, it's coming from that. Maybe I should make a post about it in another thread, more ppl might like it and find use for it.
I didn't get into Nirvana much, just what I heard on the radio. I do like them, though. I went for Weezer's pop sounds.

Perfectly mixed - and man did you hit the sweet spot w/ production ear candy. This is simply top shelf performances at the top of one's production game.

... a thoroughly enjoyable listen on multiple levels.

Back