Your Other Hobbies

Mish

Surely it's not *all* about music, inneh?

I do love writing - I've finished 4 feature length screenplays so far and shit loads of lyrics. Then I always enjoyed drawing/painting and couple of weeks ago I picked up making my own miniatures. Highly entertaining - you have two blokes of "nothing" and few days later you have something you can touch, move around and shit. Nice way to waste few extra hours per day.

oqc2kz.jpg

Uruk-Hai, courtesy of Lord of the Rings trilogy

2igd4x4.jpg

Cyborg from the future, lmao

34q7jmu.jpg

Cave Troll, from Fellowship of the Rings

s60f3q.jpg

Julius Caesar, just finished painting.

i like to play golf and take road trips with my partner :) last place we went was north carolina to play golf :)

Hiking, camping, horseback riding, target shooting for sport (don’t hunt though) alternative energy (wind & solar), martial arts (Shotokan Karate since 1975... student and teacher over the years), genealogy, ham radio, soccer, running, weight training, inventor and all around mad scientists. :)

Man I'm jealous. I had a chance to do Kiokushin-kay when I was in my final years in school but had to quit because of intense studying. Still practice it free-lance though, martial arts have a massive tranquilizing effect on me

well, i'm an enthusiast of many things...

i make wine from grapes with a friend of mine (he's a 1st generation american f/ sicily, no less). we just bottled our 5th year, a petite syrah, and it's delicious!!!! malolactic fermentation smooths things out so nicely!

i also play the role of avid amatuer chess player, chef, physicist, theologian, and political pundit. i also love a good cigar. anything darkly wrapped by CAO is marvelous.

how the hell do i have time to make music??? :confused:

i make wine from grapes with a friend of mine (he's a 1st generation american f/ sicily, no less). we just bottled our 5th year, a petite syrah, and it's delicious!!!! malolactic fermentation smooths things out so nicely!

I'm jealous. That's on my short list, but I haven't gotten to it yet!

I don't know where the line is between hobbies and things I like. But I like many things to the point of "hobbyness:"

Building & woodworking (from guitars to the house that isn't done yet), writing, shooting & hunting, also an amateur theologian, physics, cooking, and one of my favorites is the thing that inspires all the other: traveling and visiting places and people that open my eyes to the world...

Last edited:
Ha, I used to brew wine with my dad when I used to live back home with my parents. 50-litres of strawberry and blackberry made wine, reprisentively! I don't know if I loved it so much because it really was that lush, or just because you spend the whole summer babysitting the bottles, watching the bubbles flow to an "IV-bottle" like a machine gun.

Well, since I've mentioned painting here're some of my works -

2sala1f.jpg

33w7bmd.jpg

6yje3l.jpg

Yes....:D

I also homebrew...beer. Anything super hoppy, and a fine cigar.

you're speaking my language! i'm a huge india pale ale fan. have you had clipper city's "loose cannon" ipa or dogfish head's "90 minute imperial ipa?" excellent brews. great lakes' "commodore perry" is another fine one.

i just ordered a CAO sampler from cigars internat'l. it comes with 3 of my favorites, as well as a couple i haven't tried yet. italia, brazilia, and l'anniversaire maduro are all fantastic.

you're speaking my language! i'm a huge india pale ale fan. have you had clipper city's "loose cannon" ipa or dogfish head's "90 minute imperial ipa?" excellent brews. great lakes' "commodore perry" is another fine one.

i just ordered a CAO sampler from cigars internat'l. it comes with 3 of my favorites, as well as a couple i haven't tried yet. italia, brazilia, and l'anniversaire maduro are all fantastic.

I don't believe I've had eithr of those brews...

Ah heck, I used to have two acres of winegrapes. I sucked real bad at farming. Good thing I sold out at the top of the market! :o

well i'm certainly no horticulturist, although some day i'd like to grow my own grapes. currently we buy cases of pia or regina grapes from california.

well i'm certainly no horticulturist

First you need to get a little snootier. Not in an unfriendly way, but you do need to call yourself a "viticulturist", or better, a "winegrower". Funny, but the small fruit guys never refer to themselves as "jellygrowers" :D

There is some truth to the phrase "winegrower"; there is little you can do in the winery that the grapes don't give you. I mean you can force the wine to be chemically competent, but with immature or lacking flavor components, there is little point.

I just drink whatever cheap Australian swill I can get in 1.5L bottles. Thing is, it's pretty damn good compared with the plonk of 20 years ago. Those Aussies have it down to a science and a process better than anyone else in the world . . .

Ah heck, I used to have two acres of winegrapes. I sucked real bad at farming. Good thing I sold out at the top of the market! :o

Great, now I'm doubly jealous! I suspect I'd be a lousy farmer too, but I doubt I'll ever get find out--at least not with grapes. (But I'd LOVE too). I've got 25 acres (more than half is really rough woods, but almost half is decent prairie) but it's more clay than dirt.

It's really funny that this should come up right now, because just yesterday I spent $200 bucks on a dumptruck full of dirt. 25 acres and I have to buy dirt--cause mine won't grow crap! Mrs. Strat wants to grow a fruit & veggie garden and instead of just tilling a 30 x 30 square--we dig up the top layer and replace it with "bought" topsoil.

Downright goofy. Anyway, I don't anything about how hardy wine grapes are or aren't--in terms of our clay/soil and the climate here. There's one winery in town and from what I hear they only grow a variety or two.

Downright goofy. Anyway, I don't anything about how hardy wine grapes are or aren't--in terms of our clay/soil and the climate here. There's one winery in town and from what I hear they only grow a variety or two.

There are wineries in just about every state, it probably is every state now. Anyway, winegrapes come in three basic varieties:

- European, usually known by their scientific name, vitis vinifera, or just vinifera for short. These include all the well-known varietals you'll see at a wine shop; chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, merlot, syrah/shiraz, zinfandel, riesling, etc., etc., etc.

- American, which include something like five species, I forget all of them. These aren't use as commonly for wine, but some better-known varietals are the scuppernongs and norton. These also include the well-known table grape varietals, like concord.

- European/American hybrids. These were mostly developed in Europe in the late 19th century, when the European grapes were being decimated by the imported American pest phylloxera. American grapes are immune, so hybrids were created. The problem was eventually solved with grafting European cultivars on American rootstock, and that is the standard practice worldwide except for I think Chile where phylloxera hasn't invaded yet. Check me on that though. Because the need for hybrids went away, they didn't catch on in Europe all that much; I think the Swiss still grow a little bit.

But they are much more popular in the Midwest and marginal locations in the East. Common varietals are chambourcin, seyval blanc, and traminette.

OK, most people when the think about growing wine think about soil, and that is important. But with different American rootstocks, you can find a grape that will grow in just about any soil, except perhaps the most miserable clays. Drainage is equally important; a slope is nice but drain tile works too.

No, the most important criterion is "will my grapes die in the winter" :D Most vinifera can tolerate winter lows down to -6F, -10F for some of the German varieties. In some places, if there is a good, reliable snow cover, you can mound up the graft and one cordon (arm) and grow from that every year.

The hybrids are often good much colder than that, I forget exactly though since I didn't grow them and I wasn't in a cold climate. I know there is lots of them in places like MO, I never met any IL growers :confused:

The Americans can tolerate just about anything, but the wine is . . . rather different than what you'd be used to from the store.

The second problem is length of the frost-free growing season. If it's too short, your fruit will not get very ripe. That's OK for some white grapes; in fact in Ontario they do a lot of icewine, the natural way! And it's pretty good! Or you can just add some sugar in fermentation if you're going to be too low in final alcohol.

The cold-climate reds I've had . . . they tend to be very light, which is good as the tannins aren't very mature, and they are acidic. I suppose that's not any worse than the ridiculously overripened, overextracted reds that CA likes to put out these days--CA, where raisins and wine come off the same hopper!

This probably is applicable for you:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/ho-221.pdf

Also check out the Cornell U. viticulture site, they are the leading research institute for viticulture in the East--also VA. Tech, but Cornell is much more concerned with cold-climate stuff.

Great info--thanks!

When we first moved to the "country" I looked into this, and your post is bringing back some of what I learned. In fact you mentioned Chambourcin for the midwest, and I remember narrowing down to that one as my first choice. Just haven't gotten there yet.

And you mentioned the Missouri wineries--you're right, there are a number of them, and they do well. I guess I should have considered them and taken heart--they're basically in small towns an hour so south/southwest of St. Louis (some more west) and Waterloo, Il is really just a satellite town of St. Louis (don't tell them, though!) My wife and I both work in St. Louis.

So yeah, maybe it is more doable than I thought...

Thanks again for the info. :D

Back