Your Oldest Microphones

D28Flatpickr

What are some the oldest microphones you have?

Do you ever use them live or to record?

What applications?

Pics would be great!

I don't know the years on these, but here are the oldest I have:

Turner Dynamic S33D
Sure Unidyne 55
Sure Unidyne 55SW
Astatic T-3
Rauland-Borg 1265

I've used the turner for harp, the Sures for live and recorded vocals and the 55 for "crowd around the mike" bluegrass, and experimented with getting the Sun Records early Elvis and Johny Cash sound with the Sures as well. I've used the Astatic for miking amps and the Rauland works but I use it for decoration and collecting dust - it came from an old school intercom system I repaired.

Attachments

• Old Mics.jpg
    Old Mics.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 157
I have an old EV 664 that I used on a track, needs a new cable right now though 4 pin stuff, I can't seem to locate a shop that sells them yet.

I have your '55' but minus the on/off switch and with the DuKane sticker on it, of all things. Shure re-badged it for DuKane for some integrated PA packages they offered and I wound up with it from the rummage sale that was the FAA studio when I started free-lancing there.
Even the government decided that one could go for free, so it sits proudly next to my TV now, and when I've had a few I still pull it out for some fun.

The not oldest, but cheapest mic I have is, appropriately enough, from my first cassette deck:
A Phillips with auto-level that I got at 13. I was in the street just having a great time with that little lo-fi device (and of course I still have the tapes :D)
And the mic still works.
Along with the weirdly shaped mic that came with a dreadful 'portable' Aiwa R-to-R machine from 1968 or so with built-in speakers (8 D batteries; at that point the only thing I call portable and worth it is a Nagra..)

And to get to your point again, I am now, that I have written this, going to find the adapters necessary and have me some fun trying to see what the heck these things sound like through my 2-track Studer after all these years. Good thread.

C.

i have an oktava ml 19.

i use it almost exclusively for screamers, it just works really, really well on that front.
occasionally for singers, or rarely horns.
but it distorts rather easily (i actually suspect that somethings wrong with it)
but in a way that's pleasing for screamers or yellers.

Rawland Borg 55 (OEM by Shure) early 60s. Used for occasional harmonica.
Neumann M49c 1964. Used for vocals, piano,acoustic guitar & a few other things.
PML (Pearl/MiLab) DC63 late 60s. Used for acoustic guitar, O.H., percussion .

Scott

Back