Your Favorite Bass Player Thread!

A GUY NAMED JON

Sick of all the guitar players hogging the spot light. Well, here is your chance to recognize your favorite bass players.

Here is mine

Geddy Lee - Rush (of course)
Les Claypool - Primus
Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath

Still Paul McCartney for me. He really bought the bass out of the closet. Closely followed by James Jamerson. Can't really say I'm a Jaco fan. Mark King is phenomenal but Level 42 and his own stuff are let down, IMHO, by dull songwriting.

Yours is a good list too though.

Victor Wooten!Out of all the great players I can think of,noone can come
close to this cat on technique and tone.

Often the bass just gives a bottom to the song and that is okay...When I think of good bass I think of songs where the bass seems to be the crucial instrument holding the song together. I appreciate Getty Lee's playing (already mentioned) and I thought of some songs by Blue Oyser Cult, particularly, "Burning for You" and "Sole Survivor" on the album Fire of Unknown Origin. The bass player on that album (according to their website) was Joe Bouchard.

uh, there really is one choice for tone, composition, and technique. there really is only one guy without equal. there is only one god of the bass. there is only without comparison in all departments. there is only one who really was larger than life.

Charles Mingus

you all must be smokin crack or dope. there is only one god of bass.

jaco, s clarke, geddy lee, victor chops only wooten blah blah blah blah

.CHARLES MINGUS MOTHERFUCKER

Attachments

• mingus.gif
    mingus.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 288
bass players that seem to just sound great to the ear rather than impress me with fretboard antics would have to include

jj burnell...early stranglers
m rutherford...early genesis
p hook...new order
s gallup..the cure

Back