Yes. A Dell :(

mattfunkel

I'm currently recording my music through a dell. Although I am in the process of picking out my mac, I still would like to know why my dell is being so stupid. I need to put a new song up on our page before the little amount of fans we have jump us in a back ally. I use cakewalk sonar 4 through a firebox. Sometimes but not always the case, after I record one track and go back to put in the second track on top of that the playback starts to skip as if it is buffering. It's only when I'm armed for recording and no other time. I figured it was just because Dell lied and said 1 GB of Ram was perfect for recording, but I was hoping I could just adjusted some settings on my comp that would fix the problem. I've tried updating the drivers but my comp won't let me update my firmware (which is required for the update). I'm starting to really get annoyed with the situation can someone please help? I know a lot of people will probably want to say I should of gotten a dell in the first place but I already know that. I just need a temporary fix until I get one.

Thanks,
Matt

I have a Dell with 1GB of RAM and it usually works pretty well.

There are probably setting within Sonar you can adjust, but since I don't know that program I can't suggest much more.

Was there ever a time when this WAS working correctly? 1G ram is plenty. Laptop or desktop, firewire internal or pcmcia? Throw us a bone dude.

here's a bone

It's a latitude laptop and the firebox is firewire that is connect through the input on my comp labeled 1394. And it has always been like that with the firebox. The M-audio mobile pre I have works well but they sound terrible...

Odd. I had the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 6400 (2 gig ram , 7200 RPM drive) running a Mackie 1620 Onyx w/firewire card. Traded it (the card) in for an Edirol USB and haven't looked back. Check your buffer settings under Options, Audio Options (or at least that's how its set up in version 6). Barring that, is it possible to run the firebox pres through the M-audio, or is it the sound of the coverters that suck?

well...

I've been on the phone with dell all day and they are replacing my mother board so I guess it was just a technical problem with my computer. but thanks for your help.

Don't worry, if you get a new mac, chances are youll get the same FW problems.

Install DPC latency checker and start looking for issues.

On a side not, stay away from Acer computers for audio recording. I only had problems on those.

GGK.

The day that you realise a PC is just a collection of off the shelf components, the sooner statements like this will be ignored, as they should be. If you want to dish out advice, learn more about what it is you're advising on. If you had problems, it's most likely your fault or the software you're using.

Yes, this includes x86 Macs too.

1gb of RAM is fine for recording. I only have 1gb and I have absolutely no problems at all.

Did you try changing the buffer/latency settings on your sound card? That's more often than not the solution to skipping.

The day that you realise a PC is just a collection of off the shelf components, the sooner statements like this will be ignored, as they should be. If you want to dish out advice, learn more about what it is you're advising on. If you had problems, it's most likely your fault or the software you're using.

Yes, this includes x86 Macs too.

Dude, remember though...it is customary for a bad workman to blame his tools. :p

What I don't get is, if people have such a problem with these brand name PC's, why don't they build one themselves? Is it because maybe if they do that then they'll have no one to point the finger at but themselves when it all goes tits-up?

Dude, remember though...it is customary for a bad workman to blame his tools. :p

What I don't get is, if people have such a problem with these brand name PC's, why don't they build one themselves? Is it because maybe if they do that then they'll have no one to point the finger at but themselves when it all goes tits-up?

Yeah, you're right :)

The reason is they'll end up with a box just like the one they bought, except it won't have a support phone number on the back of it :D

Yeah, you're right :)

The reason is they'll end up with a box just like the one they bought, except it won't have a support phone number on the back of it :D

[RANT]
That's exactly why I build my own PC's. I'd rather know exactly what's in the thing, do my own tech support and have individual warranties for each component, rather than have a PC I have the choice of either voiding the warranty on or speaking to some muppet whose computer doesn't know the answer to my question, and taking 3 days off work waiting for a support guy to come to my house only to find he either doesn't turn up or calls me 20 times because he's lost on the way to my house despite being 100 yards from it. All to get some guy to do a bunch of stuff I can do myself. Fuck that.
[/RANT]

I couldn't agree more! that is the main reason I don't use mac's (don't get me wrong, macs can be great..) but I want the option of instaling a delta 10/10 card, or upgrading my ram or processor if my computer gets to old for my software. I can also install multiple optical drives and hard drives (it surprising how fast you can fill up a hard drive with just audio...), and not to mention with now-a-day's online computer stores you can make a great system for cheep.

Very true Nick. As an gearhead, there is some gratification in buying more gear and making it work. Mac has removed that joy by just "making it work". Damn you Mac.....

Lol......(kidding).....I'm a PC guy all the way!

This is why I don't record to my pc. I use a digital multitracker and just upload the tracks to Reaper. Screw all the problems with latency, driver conflicts, all that crap. In the end, it just works better for me to just record and mix, rather than spending all week trying to figure out what is going wrong.

Back