Year guitar made

true-eurt

Maneater
How do you know what year a guitar was made? Most of my guitars are previously owned...but I'm not even sure the year on the new ones I've purchased either. Just because I bought one new in 2006 does not mean it was manufactured in 2006. I'm clueless on this one...:facepalm:

I may have asked them question a long time back in a thread but couldn't find any threads with the question....soooo

Why isn't the yr a guit is manufactered included with the serial number...and stamped on BOTH body and neck, not just one or the other?

How do you really know what yr guitar you have unless the style or brand you purchased was made only one time in one yr..or there is a distinguishing feature on it?

If you don't know the yr, how can you give proper info to potential buyers and price it to sell?

I suppose I should have kept better track of this way before now, but never thought I would ACTUALLY be considering selling any of them ever ever ever anyway.

Most of the manufactures of guitars or after market seller/buyer sites have listings of how old a guitar is according to it serial number.
Most times right down to the day of the month of the year. ;)

Depends on the guitar maker

Gibson for example have the day, month and year as well as the production number (ie this was the 34th guitar produced that day) as a part of the serial no

useful tool HERE to decode serial numbers

Most of the manufactures of guitars or after market seller/buyer sites have listings of how old a guitar is according to it serial number.
Most times right down to the day of the month of the year. ;)
Thanks moresound..I sorta figured that out but it isn't that simple for some of em...as Samick or Tradition...and the previous owner of the Tradition either signed or had someone sign it...across the first part of the serial number with black marker.

The samick I own is difficult to even find the model..I'm wondering if it was a special order. I've read it isn't always possible to find the manufacture yr on guits.

g o o g l e.

it has all the answers.
Yah Ive been doing that..thanks.

Depends on the guitar maker

Gibson for example have the day, month and year as well as the production number (ie this was the 34th guitar produced that day) as a part of the serial no

useful tool HERE to decode serial numbers
Too bad I don't own a Gibson.:D

I do own a Fender, Hagstrom, Jackson and Ibanez and they should be found easily. I'll have to check it out..I had some family emergency come up and no time to continue search yet...thanks fror the link you posted too!

Back