Yamaha PF 2000 problem

bigb56

Hi all, first post here. I acquired a Yamaha PF2000 that had been dropped. I found Muckelroy's thread about the PF 2000 and I ordered some new keys to replace broken ones and cleaned up the unit and put it back together. The problem I am having I believe is with the built in amplifier. There is static, and while playing the sound will suddenly drop out for a second then return, sometimes with a loud pop heard through the speakers. Heavy/loud playing seems to exacerbate the problem, and occasionally the sound will drop out and not return without a re-boot. When it does return it will pop first.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

Thanks, Brian

After noticing that the problem almost completely cleared up after a good warmup of about 20 minutes I determined that is must be a bad connection point, after warming up the slight expansion of metal would make for a better connection. I removed the cover and found several connectors on the sound board would make static when wiggled, and one of them would cause the cutout and popping just by wiggling it a tiny bit. I removed all of the connectors and the board, cleaned all connectors male and female with electronics cleaner and dried everything with compressed air. Put it all back together and no change. Not sure what to do next, if I can't find someone to re-make the connectors I guess I'll see if a new harness is available for a reasonable price.

Fixed. Turns out the connectors were OK. There is a large heat sink along the front of the amplifier circuit board with 5 ICs clamped onto it. Seems over time the heating and cooling of the ICs compromised some of the solder joints. Any movement at all on the board would cause them to drop out, including wiggling connectors. I found it by accident after dropping my flashlight on the heat sink. Re-flowed them all and it plays like new. So 5 new keys, a battery and some solder and I got a great playing 88 weighted key Yamaha. Just posting this in case someone ever runs across the same problem.

Now where do I learn about MIDI?

Back