Yamaha NS10 vertical for home recording

jojo169

Hi guys, I just wondering if anyone here use Yamaha NS10 vertical version for home recording?

I see on ebay that NS10m (horizontal) is much more expensive and I don't know if its worth the price.

How do you guys suggest me if I use the vertical version on my home studio?

The vertical ones are the old original home stereo version. They were crap hifi speakers before they were crap studio monitors.

The horizontal ones have a redesigned tweeter and crossover that made them a smoother in the upper mids. I can't imagine what the old ones sounded like if the redesign made them smoother and less aggressive.

I'm actually surprised anyone is still interested in these things. They served a purpose in a bygone era, but can be surpassed by speakers that cost less.

Sounds like a smooth salesman linking to a sales site.

Problem is the link does not go to a sale page. Not for me anyway. Maybe just a bot?

Prove me wrong jojo169 by reply. My SOC # is: 0100-00-0000

The vertical ones are the old original home stereo version. They were crap hifi speakers before they were crap studio monitors.

The horizontal ones have a redesigned tweeter and crossover that made them a smoother in the upper mids. I can't imagine what the old ones sounded like if the redesign made them smoother and less aggressive.

I'm actually surprised anyone is still interested in these things. They served a purpose in a bygone era, but can be surpassed by speakers that cost less.

I bought a pair of NS10T's from a guy on Craigslist ($150). Tried them to answer a question I had. Question answered.

I gave them away.

The NS10's certainly serve there purpose... for me.

I use them for a few things - verbs, vocals, checking overall mix

Here's how I see it:

Decay - they have an awesome character that I love when dialing in my reverbs (and sends)
Mids - they can really show you what's going on here... so I like to check my overall mix on them
Lows - they are bass-lacking so I check to be sure my kick and bass are still there on these (really helps translation to bass lacking systems)
vocals - I solo vocals and check em on the NS10's cause I do most of my vocal EQ on them, and I'm always super happy with translation, and tone in the mix
stereo image - I like to pay attention to placement and imaging on these, as I feel it translates well and is not exaggerated

Like any speaker, you need to get to know em, but I feel naked without a pair. NOT AS AN ONLY PAIR, but I'd say I spend 40% of my mix time on them - or at least checking mixes on them (if mixed elsewhere without them).

I bring mine to studios that don't have them (on occasion)

At my studio, I use them along with JBL4328P's. I also bring them to a studio that only has Genelec 1031's.

They are handy in both case

All you NS10 haters, go fly a kite or engage in whaterever activities you like.
Self mutilation, Self copulation or whatever tickles your fancy.
:D
Some of the Greatest records ever were mixed on NS10s.

A lot of pros better than any of us use them still.

I love them.

Now the Ns 10 T, thats a different story. I think the "T" stands for toy. :-)

Rant over. :D

I went the other direction and got the Urei 813's that were ubiquitous in major studios at the same time the NS10's were. I had some NS10's for about 10 years, out of the three sets of monitors I had (genelec 1031, urei 813 and ns10) the NS10's were the ones I used the least, so I got rid of them. They really didn't work for some of the darker, thicker stuff I was starting to do at the time.

The only thing I really hate about them is people who don't know any better thinking that they must be the flattest, most wonderful sounding speaker simply because they were in every studio. It's the same deal with auratones, even though we are at least a generation away from newbs seeing pictures of those.

I am a huge 813 fan as well. I wish I still owned a pair.

As for the yammis, I am well aware of the strengths AND weaknesses. One being the lack of bass response.

However, that lack can be a strength in my eyes. No hyped up bass lets you concetrate on the midband as well as the bass not creating problems in the room.

All monitors, no matter the price, sound different. There is no gold standard. There is no one that is flat and accurate throughout the freq range. (That I know of or can afford) :D

Some people love krk rockits. I hate em, and think they are garbage. But I've heard good mixes done on those, and shitty mixes done on high end monitors.

The point is; one needs to learn their own speakers to get the best out of them.

The only thing I really hate about them is people who don't know any better thinking that they must be the flattest, most wonderful sounding speaker simply because they were in every studio. It's the same deal with auratones, even though we are at least a generation away from newbs seeing pictures of those.

That is likely the best way to put things in perspective.

All monitors, no matter the price, sound different. There is no gold standard. There is no one that is flat and accurate throughout the freq range. (That I know of or can afford) :D

Some people love krk rockits. I hate em, and think they are garbage. But I've heard good mixes done on those, and shitty mixes done on high end monitors.

The point is; one needs to learn their own speakers to get the best out of them.

+1

I agree completely.

Still have my original first version NS10's vertical and proud. LOL

Alan.

me at work.jpeg

Attachments

• 41147id_19.jpeg
    41147id_19.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 75
The NS10s I use at a local studio are horrible sounding speakers - but damn they are useful sometimes.

I've always thought that the way they handle transients is seriously different to most studio monitors out there, perhaps it's a side-effect of using ultra-light paper cones for the woofer, perhaps its something else but I always notice transients sticking out on Ns10's in a way I don't with other monitors.

Maybe thats part of why they can be considered a 'useful' monitor, probably the same reason I hate the sound of them too.

Last edited:
All you NS10 haters, go fly a kite or engage in whaterever activities you like.
Self mutilation, Self copulation or whatever tickles your fancy.
:D
Some of the Greatest records ever were mixed on NS10s.

A lot of pros better than any of us use them still.

I love them.

Now the Ns 10 T, thats a different story. I think the "T" stands for toy. :-)

Rant over. :D

What would you guys suggest to power NS10m's ? I had an old Stewart power amp but, it went to the happy hunting ground. I keep hearing folks say if you're gonna use NS10's you'd better have a great amp. Well...I'm sure I can't afford a GREAT amp. I also read on the forums that these Samson things are crap. So, I thought I'd refer to the knowledgeable ones on this forum. How much amp to get the most out of these speakers and if you could suggest brands that a lowly songwriter , non tech could afford it would be much appreciated. Please speak slowly as I am not only a songwriter but Cajun as well. Thanks all.
small home studio for demos - 3 and 4 instruments usually acoustic.

Depends on what you consider expensive.
I run mine with an older Bryston 3b amp along with a Bryston 2b as a backup amp for another set of ns10s.
Great amps, and older ones can be had in the 500 range.

I used to run them with a Yamaha amp. Don't remember the model, but it's the one with vu meters on the front panel.

This is the amp that Bob Clearmountain prefers. If you do a search it will lead you to a Gearslutz thread where different amp preferences are stated.

What ever you get, a clean power rating higher than the speakers power rating is better. You dont want to be pushing power amp distortion and clipping into the 10s. Ive been using them for years, and the only time I've blown up tweeters, is when they have been underpowered.

With the good amps, I've never had a problem even when cranking them.

I've also known people that use the Alesis Ra series of amps, and they have been happy. You can pick those up for about
2 bills.

I hope this is some help

The amps that I used were the hafler amps. They aren't made anymore, but there were a ton of them for not much money. There should be some on ebay for pretty cheap.

Back