Yamaha NS-10M Studio vs non-"Studio"?

abbazabba

Does anybody know if there's are two different models of the Yamaha NS-10M monitors, one labelled "Studio" and another without the "Studio"? I was told that there was but I can't find this info anywhere since this model has been discontinued. I bought a pair off of Ebay that were advertised as a "Studio" model but it's not written that way on the box and I don't have any documentation to verify this. Does anyone know how I could find out?

Thanks.

The only difference was that there was extra "dispersion foam" around the tweeters to stop the practice of having to place tissue paper over the original series.... (this is because they are harsh-sounding with a very screechy top-end)..........

They also re-arrange the driver placement to allow them to be placed on their sides...

Those are the only differences I know of.........

Blue Bear Sound said:
The only difference was that there was extra "dispersion foam" around the tweeters to stop the practice of having to place tissue paper over the original series.... (this is because they are harsh-sounding with a very screechy top-end)..........

Like that actually fixed anything in the top end... :D :D :D

Blue Bear Sound said:

If all I have to do is put some tissue over the tweeters, then I can live with that. Thanks!

Massive Master said:
Like that actually fixed anything in the top end... :D :D :D
Seriously! :eek:

One might wonder at just how good a monitor they are if you have to put tissue over the tweeters in the first place!!! :p

(Answer: they're crap... some people are used to them and have learned how to work around their significant sonic limitations, but there are many nearfields available that make the NS10s sound like the overblown, over-rated, exceedingly crappy monitors they actually are, that it makes no sense for someone just getting into recording to torture their ears with them....)

Last edited:
"If it sounds good on these pieces of crap, it will sound good on anything."

Overheard by me of several pro mixing engineers I have sat in with. Pretty much sums it up.

H2H

lets see. most studios have them so they cant be that bad.i love the midrange on them. they were designed to act more like a home type stereo speakers . the older versions were tweeked using tissue paper to cut down on the ear fatigue. youll have to learn them but you want several types to throw your mixes at anyway.i wouldnt get them as a first set but maybe add to the set up. .

Hard2Hear said:
"If it sounds good on these pieces of crap, it will sound good on anything."

Overheard by me of several pro mixing engineers I have sat in with. Pretty much sums it up.

H2H
Used as originally intended for a "crap reference", by all means.... but why people hurt themselves mixing with them I'll never understand!

hehehee

Blue Bear Sound said:
Used as originally intended for a "crap reference", by all means.... but why people hurt themselves mixing with them I'll never understand!

its because pro's use them!
Gearheads see NS10's in pictures.

it's Power of Suggestion.... you see a picture of your favorite ME and there's NS10's on his console... so now the following flock of sheep, confidentally walk in the foot paths of their famous shoe brand company.

its like someone answering a difficult question for them.
(which monitor to buy??)

One doesn't have to think for themselves, one can rely 100% on the fact that...

1) A PRO MEng USED THIS MODEL, NS10, MONITOR AND GOT A PLATINUM RECORD.

2) I CAN BUY THE EXACT SAME "TOOL" THEY USED.

This leaves only SKILLS and MATERIAL preventing them from a Platinum disc on the wall!!! The tools are there...can't blame the "tools" or speakers...

If convinced the SKILLS are 100%... now its only the PLatoniumMaterial preventing the TV acceptance award speech.

I bought a Rickenbacker guitar so I'm a Beatle...ok without the songwriting talent and Abbey Roads... but my guitar is PRO level!! gdddammmitt.
I got one thing thats pro... i bought it.

HR:Adams are great monitors!!
HR2: Why??
HR1: Bear swears by 'em!
HR2: Heard 'em yourself??
HR1: Nope! but i ordered some... they're awesome speakers, Bear has 'em.

i did talk with a friend in turkey who want to buy now monitors for his homestudio. He is working in a studio as an asistan and also in a radio in istanbul. His first thinking was ns-10 cause genelec is to expensive. 2 Mistakes in one sentence. For him Genelec & ns-10 are the best cause he see and use them at work.

gemsbok said:
lets see. most studios have them so they cant be that bad.

Yes, they really can. Get yourself something else, or suffer the cronic headaches I used to have from mixing on NS-10's.

And their frequency response looks like that street in San Fransisco, you know, the one which is all S curves.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

COOLCAT said:
its because pro's use them!
Gearheads see NS10's in pictures.

it's Power of Suggestion.... you see a picture of your favorite ME and there's NS10's on his console... so now the following flock of sheep, confidentally walk in the foot paths of their famous shoe brand company.

its like someone answering a difficult question for them.
(which monitor to buy??)

One doesn't have to think for themselves, one can rely 100% on the fact that...

1) A PRO MEng USED THIS MODEL, NS10, MONITOR AND GOT A PLATINUM RECORD.

2) I CAN BUY THE EXACT SAME "TOOL" THEY USED.

This leaves only SKILLS and MATERIAL preventing them from a Platinum disc on the wall!!! The tools are there...can't blame the "tools" or speakers...

If convinced the SKILLS are 100%... now its only the PLatoniumMaterial preventing the TV acceptance award speech.

I bought a Rickenbacker guitar so I'm a Beatle...ok without the songwriting talent and Abbey Roads... but my guitar is PRO level!! gdddammmitt.
I got one thing thats pro... i bought it.

HR:Adams are great monitors!!
HR2: Why??
HR1: Bear swears by 'em!
HR2: Heard 'em yourself??
HR1: Nope! but i ordered some... they're awesome speakers, Bear has 'em.

you're the kind of person that will just keep going and going and going and going with a joke long after it stops being unfunny, aren't you?

Back