XP-Pro Updates and Cubase SX

C#Dave

As the title says, I have Windows XP-Pro and XP Home. When I first got the SX version, I didn't load any updates on Windows 2000 Pro, because the addition of SP-1 slowed boot time to a crawl, so I reformatted, and reloaded with "Plain Jane" 2000. Worked like a charm.

I've since upgraded my machine. Abit IS7-E, 2.8C processor @ 3.02 GHz, 1 GB dual channel memory, and 3 physical hard drives. I also have another one right here next to it that's identical, with the exception of a 2.8 Prescott processor and 4200ti dual head vid card.

Then I purchased XP-Pro and Home versions, and put the SX on the XP Home drive, along with SP-1, and a handful of critical updates, and all is well. BUT, I would like to streamline the OS so it doesn't use as much memory, and its time to reload Windows anyway. So I'm going with XP-Pro this time.

My friend in CA that I record with on-line, has pretty much the same setup that I have, with the exception that he uses XP-Pro, and NO updates. He loads XP Pro "Plain Jane", and that's it. He has had SOME issues with lockups, and has solved that by upping his latency to 2048, (too slow for guitar which is my deal) but I think it has more to do with the fact that his system is not "tweaked" for performance as I have done with my rigs. As per the help of "Viper" (you tweakers know of whom I speak) and some of the other XP "tips and tricks" guides, I have the system about as performance tuned as possible. The majority of these tweaks are common knowledge, but some involve disabling services and some registry tweaks. Bla bla...

The recorder drive NEVER goes on-line, except for the brief moment to activate Windows, as all my updates are on CD up to Feb, 2004. Then the internet connections are severed in Device Manager and in the BIOS. Never to return.

So my question is this: Are there any Windows updates that are essential to recording with Cubase SX and XP-Pro?

All of the updates I've seen, including SP-1, have to do with Internet Security, which I certainly don't need, so why would I need any updates at all? My XP Pro was purchased in Nov of 2002, and supports all WDM drivers that I use, (1, Matrox 450 video card) all the other drivers that I use are on a CD that I made up, and update as time passes. I realize that SP-1 is what Intel uses for the USB2 "driver", but I don't need USB2 either. I disable practically everything in the BIOS that doesn't make sound.

Once again... The recorder drive NEVER goes on line, but if there are any "hidden" benefits within any of the updates that pertain to Cubase stability or related issues that someone is aware of, I sure would appreciate the advice!

Thanks guys!!!

Dave

Back