XLR to USB?

Sturgeon's Lawyer

Hi,

If this is the wrong forum, please forgive me; I'm new here. I did do a bit of searching, but didn't find anything useful.

So:

I have an unidirectional microphone with an XLR cable, and I would like to use it to record directly to my PC -- which, I guess, means I need to convert the signal from the XLR interface to a USB signal.

Does anyone have any suggestion about how to do this? (Preferably without spending a fortune, as I recently lost my job...)

Thank you in advance.

Go to amazon or sweetwater and search for USB audio interface. You will find a bunch of boxes that have the ability to plug an xlr mic into them an connect to the computer via usb. you can ind them for as low as $35 and as high as a few thousand dollars.

Without a bit more info, it's hard to know if this is the best solution. Which microphone, and what type of computer? Do you have software? Are you looking to do multitracking? How many channels?

For a bare minimum, you could get something like the M-Audio M-Track Solo for $50. It's a basic audio interface but it has the necessary specs, 48V phantom power, instrument, line and mic inputs, direct monitoring. It's limited to 48kHz/16bit, but honestly, for the majority of folks doing recording, that's perfectly fine. It's CD quality. Alternately, for a bit more money you can get units by Focusrite or Tascam.

You can use Bandlab software to record for free. You can use Reaper without registering it, and when you get another job, go ahead and register. It won't stop working, it just puts up a nag screen at startup.

You could check out places like Craigslist for used units, or places like MusicGoRound (depending on where you live). Sweetwater has GearExchange, where you might find used units a bit cheaper.

Thanks to both of you!

Yes, I have software; I'm using Reason 12 (which allows multitracking) on a Windows 11 PC.

The M-Track Solo looks interesting, but the specs list the software it works with and Reason is not among the items listed. Should this concern me?

A big question is, do you need to monitor the input and playback at the same time without latency? If so, be sure to get a proper audio interface. There are crude converter cables and the like, but they may lack important features like input gain and direct monitoring.

Go to amazon or sweetwater and search for USB audio interface. You will find a bunch of boxes that have the ability to plug an xlr mic into them an connect to the computer via usb. you can ind them for as low as $35 and as high as a few thousand dollars.
This is really the simplest and most effective solution.

I don't know how far I'd trust a $25 amazon interface. But a $50 MAudio from Springwater will certainly work.

It looks promising. Since it uses an ASIO driver, it probably does direct monitoring, but a cursory search didn't answer that definitively.

Is the microphone a dynamic type, e.g. Shure SM58 or a capacitor (aka "condenser") mic? The latter type need phantom power provided by the interface pre amp and few of the very low cost, single XLR interfaces did not provide the full 48 volts or/and could not supply enough current. The problem is probably not nearly as bad as it was but it is as well to be aware.
Interfaces tend to be very reliable things so a second hand one could be a good move. We have Cash Generator shops here and they give a warranty and even a one week no quibble buy back. I still have a Focusrite 8i6 I paid 90 quid for many years ago. If you do go the SH route, Focusrite are both common and good. Rarer is Native Instruments but is very good kit.

I really, really suggest you stick to 'conventional' interfaces with 'knobs' and stuff!

Dave.

I wouldn't go near that plastic iRig. It may be tempting at only $60, but for $40 more you can get 2 channels in a sturdy metal box with 24-Bit/192 kHz and quality pre-amps of a Behringer UMC202HD. Or for $129 (only 1 input) but with some bells and whistles of the IK Multimedia AXE I/O One.

The M-Audio Mtrack Solo is about £40 here, even cheaper is the Behringer UMC 22 both new. Since you have a dynamic mic you might like to try the Behringer first as they have surprisingly* good microphone amplifiers. Good that is in terms of more gain than you might expect and really pretty low noise.

*Actually NOT really a surprise, it has been possible to make a really good mic amp for peanuts (like <$5) for well over a decade, just that few people put them in interfaces! At least not budget ones. Oddly, budget mixers from such as Mackie and Behringer had decent pres for many years.

Dave.

Back