wuhan or zildjian?

BlackHawk2029

if you had to choose between the two, would you go for a wuhan s series box set or the zildjian zbt rock set? the wuhans are cast, and i quite like them as a friend of mine has them, and the zildjians are sheet cymbals and i've never heard them..... so im not sure.

Thats a hard one.

Out of curiosity - what's you budget (if you are in fact deliberating over buying one of these 2)?

i choose death!

but seriously...how much is the set? for the price of the set maybe you can get 1 decent cymbal. that's what i'd do.

zed32 said:
i choose death!

but seriously...how much is the set? for the price of the set maybe you can get 1 decent cymbal. that's what i'd do.

he's got the right idea (unfortuniately)
just start getting good stuff, you'll actually save money by not buying twice.

unfortunately, time is required.

one strategy is to just buy some good broken cymbals off ebay. yeah they sound weird and don't last that long, but if you're gonna buy twice, at least you can get a broken good cymbal for cheaper than a new POS cymbal. 90% of the time, a cracked good cymbal will still sound better than a new entry level cymbal. sometimes you can get lucky and score a nice cymbal for like 20 bucks, and the cracking isn't too severe.

Quality and sound-wise, the Wuhans basically are A Zildjians, just made overseas with the resultant price cut. I don't personally like the sound, but I don't like Zildjian As either. ;)

They are definitely a step above the base model stamped sheet metal cymbals though.

and if you like the Wuhans as stated above, then go with them. the ZBTs are guaranteed to not sound any better. they are really shitty.

also, i personally tend to stay away from any cymbal that says "Rock" in the name. they usually sound like ass and are probably too heavy.

I'd lean towards a ZBT set off eBay. You practically can't break them, and you can resell them when you are ready to spend up. They don't sound very good though :confused:

In this instance you get more. These are good quality cast cymbals, just less expensive. The ones I have played are almost carbon copies of Zildjian As in weight and sound. The only thing you "get" by paying more is the Zildjian name. But that makes a difference to many.

makes no difference to me. i really like my buddy's S series cymbals. im thinking i might go for it here in a couple paychecks (im a broke 17 yr old whose job gives him crap hours) being that i have no cymbals ATM other than a 12" china (wuhan actually), and im thinking about a couple wuhan splashes and another china and crash. seems i may end up with a flat out wuhan setup.

BlackHawk2029 said:
makes no difference to me. i really like my buddy's S series cymbals. im thinking i might go for it here in a couple paychecks (im a broke 17 yr old whose job gives him crap hours) being that i have no cymbals ATM other than a 12" china (wuhan actually), and im thinking about a couple wuhan splashes and another china and crash. seems i may end up with a flat out wuhan setup.

go for quality over quantity dude! but if you really like em, then get em, they could very well be worth the money. i can't say because i havent heard those wuhans yet.

Between those two and ONLY those two?

I'd take the Wuhans hands down. ZBTs are crap and the S series wuhans are actually somewhat useful. They have a lot of complex overtones and are somewhat dry. Granted, there's a lot of Chinese white noise, but that's better than the ultra focused clang of the ZBTs. I have a 16" S series that I'm quite fond of in certain recording situations.

yeah they dont seem to be horribly cheaply made. i actually really like the ride my buddy has. his has a nice ping to it and the bell on it is pretty nice, tho i prefer a little more focused attack on a ride bell.

zbts are crap, u can get sabian b20 packs for the same price and they are better than the zbts but i rekon the wuhan ones will be better than them both.

zbts break easily and sounds like shit.

I have played exclusively on Zildjians for about 8 years now but I still have to say stay as far away from the ZBT's as you possibly can. They are horrible. I've never heard the wuhan's but I can't imagine that they would be any worse.

Zildjian made a mistake by diving into the entry market without a trading name (Squier, Epiphone etc.) for the cheaper stuff.
It just made the name less valuable and now I don't feel special to have Zildjians, even though mine are beautiful old Avedis...

Back