wuhan china cymbals

I have a 12" one. It's great for the 12 bucks I paid for it. It's a pretty quick trashy sound. Their so cheap if it sucks oh well!

Most of them really sound good. They all sound different from each other and they break pretty easily but they are 1/4 the cost of a sabian and sound (mostly) just as good or better.

I own a 14", 16" 18" & 20" Wuhan China (don't use them all at the same time) . I think Wuhans sound just the way a China should (like a loud thrash can :D ).

As was stated, each one has it's own sound, so you have to find the cymbal that gives you what you want. However, on a whole, I have found very few Wuhans that I did not like (and I worked in a drum shop for seveal years and heard dozens of Wuhans.

They can break easy (althouh I've never broken any). For the price, Wuhan has to be just about the best value you can find in an instrument!!

just a little off topic here. i briefly tested a wuhan "S" (i think) crash. very interesting crash cymbal, kinda like a really bad "K". dark and loud with the strangest (but very pleasent, china type) over tones. well worth checking out if you can wrap your head around the tone. personally i liked it, but i can't see myself using one.

Cymbals

dr.colossus said:
just a little off topic here. i briefly tested a wuhan "S" (i think) crash. very interesting crash cymbal, kinda like a really bad "K". dark and loud with the strangest (but very pleasent, china type) over tones. well worth checking out if you can wrap your head around the tone. personally i liked it, but i can't see myself using one.
I have a Dark K and think it's better than a custom A.(too thin). I'm trying to get back to the old avedis sound.
Anyway about the Wuhan.I have used them for chinas and think there great for the buck!
My 20" is too dry so I'm thinking about rivets :D
The smaller ones; 12" don't sustain, but I like the 16". It just depends how picky you are. I've gone through a lot of crashes just to match with one cymbal. :cool:

Bdrum said:
I have a Dark K and think it's better than a custom A.(too thin). I'm trying to get back to the old avedis sound.
Anyway about the Wuhan.I have used them for chinas and think there great for the buck!
My 20" is too dry so I'm thinking about rivets :D
The smaller ones; 12" don't sustain, but I like the 16". It just depends how picky you are. I've gone through a lot of crashes just to match with one cymbal. :cool:
It depends on what you like. I have a 12 inch and I like it because it is quick and doesn't sustain. It is all a matter of taste, but it is big bang for the buck.

I have a drummer friend who got one of these for free when he bought some hardware for his drum. He was pumped that it was free because he didnt know how much it really cost at first.

He broke it in less than 2 weeks with minimal playing but decided he liked it enough that he wanted to replace it. flipped out when they were only like 8 bucks or so. But he says they are great when he wants a trash sound. Might get kind of expensive if he breaks um that often though.

Thats about all i know.

danny

My drummer has one and whenever he hits it it hurts my ears. Whenever he leaves the room the bass player and me take it and hid it because it really does hurt our ears.

Some of those things sound like a freaking whip, which I would imagine is what patlang is referring to about it hurting their ears.

They're really cool. It's awesome that they are so cheap.

Use a spring and you shouldn't break them.

Yuck. I think they sound very brash and don't sit well in a mix. The only cymbal I know that sounds better cracked.

These things just sound awesome. As long as you're not a stupidly hard hitting drummer as I am.. they should last a while.

Supercreep said:
Yuck. I think they sound very brash and don't sit well in a mix. The only cymbal I know that sounds better cracked.

i think most cymbals sound awesome when they just begin to crack! Unfortunatly you only get a few playing hours out of them before they become unuseable. I had a 20" medium crash (sabian) which began cracking around the bell; while i was disappointed in not being able to use it live it saw out its days in the studio, (sounded like a "happy" k) but its completely dead now... I do have a thin 22" 'a' that has craked the same way, it is now my go to quiet jazz ride, the crack gives a light sizzle with a very mellow ping.

if chinas are too harsh for a particular appthey can be softened and made more interesting by floating a smaller crash (especially a craked one,) on the china. keep them a little closer together than you would open hi-hats. see image for a cross section of what i'm talking about.

Attachments

• cross section.JPG
    cross section.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 84
yeh you're describing staxxs. i agree with you there. i have a 14" ziljdain china and it craked, i put my 12" AA sabian spash on top of it and it sounds soooo good. nice and trashy but it holds a nie sound not tin can as you might expect.

i really like my 12in wuhan china. got it for $10 from the Fiend. it's explosive and works great as a punctuation. very little sustain and a very quick decay, which is exactly what i want in a cymbal filling that role.

granted that's not what i want in all of my cymbals, but for a small explosion or punctuation mark to a musical phrase, that's exactly what i want and what i got for my $10.

i haven't broken it yet.....but i did break the stand it lives on. :D

cheers,
wade

Oldest cymbal manufacturer in the world. Yep. They are cool and unique sounding. I'm reminded of Bill Bruford's trashy china attacktics on "Starless and Bible Black" Fast and yucky. I concur with the good Dr. Colossus in that their standard crash (and ride) cymbals are also excellent sounding instruments - at a price so low, you might just break one for the fun of it. Oh, and when you do...they'll still sound at least as good as one of their chinas. :D

Back