Writing when I should.....

up-fiddler

Taming the World--for now
.....be recording. Still, for me, it is best to strike when the iron is hot. (Or even lukewarm.) I have an uncle in southern Mississippi who I visit every other year at Christmas. Anyhooooo...... here is one that came out in short order. I wrote the melody in my head while writing the lyrics for this one. It doesn't usually work that way for me but I accept serendipity wherever and whenever it strikes me in the face.

Mississippi
c. Dave Morehouse 2009

Red beans and rice
On a Saturday afternoon
Make me look twice
At the mirror in my spoon.
Mr. Gravy I can’t say
What you mean to me.
(Please take no offense
Mr. Sausage, if you please.)

Mississippi
In the mornin’
Mississippi
Through the day
Steamy sunrise
Without warnin’
Steals my breath away.

A harp on the porch
From across the street
Makes my ears scorch
And drives my feet.
They tap like a dance
From a skeleton’s shoes.
The cuffs of my pants
Can’t seem to refuse.

Mississippi
In the mornin’
Mississippi
Through the day
Steamy sunrise
Without warnin’
Steals my breath away.

I hear a dog bark
From across the bay
A fitting remark
From an unsheltered stray.
He knows what it is
To be all alone.
He is what he is
And tomorrow’s unknown.

Mississippi
In the mornin’
Mississippi
Through the day
Steamy sunrise
Without warnin’
Steals my breath away.
Steals my breath away.
Yes it’s here that I long to stay.
Simply steals my breath away.

Wonderful bit of writing, Dave!

This just so excellently captures that steamy, torpid feeling . . . sitting on the front porch, legs a-dangle . . . I can so easily hear John Fogerty swamp music happening with this.

"They tap like a dance/from a skeleton's shoes" and "a fitting remark/from an unsheltered stray" are two terrific lines; highly evocative and nicely original.

I note you have a melody for this one. I am keen to hear it. It's a shame that you have, though, because it might be fun to play with it.

................I note you have a melody for this one. I am keen to hear it. It's a shame that you have, though, because it might be fun to play with it.

Feel free to play away. I do, in fact, have a melody. I will put something to tape with this one at some point but if you would also like to do so then jump at it. It might be fun to pick a date and then post them simultaneously to see how different they turn out. :eek:

You're on!

It's actually not a bad idea for a challenge . . . posting a set of words than having each participant interpret them musically.

I have been thinking the same thing. Each person has different styles and taste, and would be fun to hear the different end results.

. . . I can so easily hear John Fogerty swamp music happening with this...

Except that Fogerty was a CALIFORNIAN! Now, if you had said Mississippi John Hurt, or Sonny Landruth, you would have my full attention.

But anyway, the lyrics are good ones.

Count me in

Dave I would love to put some music to these lyrics as well, if that is fine by you?

When I read the words I can definitely hear something in my head (the metal plate sometimes picks up AM talk back).

I have collaborated in the past, but have put lyrics to other people's music and would like to try t the other way round.

Well . . . I am in . . . and I am nearly done.

I read the words Friday evening . . . by midnight I had the song structure in place.

Did some vocals on Saturday morning as well as some other cleaning up.

It could go up as it is, but I just want to try one more thing, which I hope to do later this week.

Well . . . I am in . . . and I am nearly done.

I read the words Friday evening . . . by midnight I had the song structure in place.

Did some vocals on Saturday morning as well as some other cleaning up.

It could go up as it is, but I just want to try one more thing, which I hope to do later this week.

Show off!

Some of us have 60 students to get through 'devised theatre' exams this week! Thankfully no bad soap opera about teenage pregnancies, however some of most nihilistic stuff I have seen in a long time!

I'm trying to work out if they are a pessimistic generation or an optimistic one with an interest in pessimism?

Working on Dave's song is the 'me time' light at the end of a month long adolescent and creative angst tunnel!

Looking forward to your interpretation.

Burt

It sounds very much.....

.....like I ought to get started on the 'Dave Song' also. I have the melody and instrumentation in my head but the interface to get it to everyone else isn't very well developed. I guess I will have to lay it to tape and post as an mp3. It would be much easier to simply tap into my brain though. Now where did I put that headphone adapter?:eek:

up-fiddler;3118706[B said:
Mississippi
c. Dave Morehouse 2009[/B]

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but I was reared in Mississippi, in a rural little town. Fortunately, my parents sent me to a private school. ;)

I think your lyrics capture the "down-home" essence of the Magnolia state rather well. :)

Cheers,
Joseph

Last edited:
I don't think I've mentioned this before, but I was reared in Mississippi, in a rural little town. Fortunately, my parents sent me to a private school. ;)

I think your lyrics capture the "down-home" essence of the Magnolia state rather well. :)

Cheers,
Joseph

Thanks Joseph. That means a lot to me.

Back