Writers Block With Mixing?

JG96

Recently I have been really struggling with making progress in my mixes. I have gotten good mixes in the past and I'm not sure why this is happening. I am hoping to get back in the swing of things as I have a lot of songs on my plate. I would love to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience and/or any tips on how to overcome this issue.

Maybe your ears are getting better at listening but your room treatment is lying to you?

Just a possibility. I have listened to old mixes before my investment in room treatment. Some of them were just lucky good stuff. Others not so good.

Now I don't have to second guess myself as much.

Thats very possible. I'm in a dorm room with garbage acoustics. I have my monitors here but I use my headphones more.

listen at quiet volumes in mono, it saves your ears (speakers only) something like an avantone mixcube.

headphones are extremely bad for your hearing, high SPL volumes 5cm from your actual ear drum can never be good for you, earbuds are even worse

Last edited:
I am using either a pair of Event PS8's or Audio Technica M50's. I can't really do much about my room being untreated. What can I do to prevent fatigue?

I am using either a pair of Event PS8's or Audio Technica M50's. I can't really do much about my room being untreated. What can I do to prevent fatigue?

That might not be true. If everything is built in a frame and can be moved, like setting some traps in the corner, some wall treatments and use a frame with legs or something. You might have to be creative.

That might not be true. If everything is built in a frame and can be moved, like setting some traps in the corner, some wall treatments and use a frame with legs or something. You might have to be creative.

That's true. Half the room is my roommates though so I can't really do anything over there. On my side I could probably put traps in one corner but the other corner is the door. Wall traps might be tricky as my bed is against the only exposed wall. There are closets on one wall and windows on the other. The whole room is 14.75' by 11.5'.

Here's a recent mix I have been working on. I still need to automate the vocals though.
View attachment 89634

Sorry for the late reply, I've had a bit of work this week. Cool little song there, I think you're real close and can nail this one!!

You know I'm noticing a lot of "bottom end" in that mix, which is fine, if its clean and if you even it out with some nice shiny mid to top end. One thing to remember, higher frequencies bring width, so if you're mix seems a bit muddy and "mono" ish try paning something (like a gtr) L and the double R and boosting a bit of the top end. If you don't have a double (mono gtr on the verse?) try paning the gtr to one side and throwing a 1/8 or 1/4 note delay panned opposite. Just a few suggestions. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Back