wow

eyema_believer

Bondservant
Last night, I had the chance to pick the brain of Paul Riser for a few hours. He's coming to teach arranging at the school where I'm involved, and this was sort of his introduction to the faculty and student body. He brought a string section (12 folks from the Detroit Symphony) and we supplied the band and singers. The guy shows up, and hand writes the most beautiful charts you've ever seen and passes them out.... then answers questions for as long as we wanted.... what an awesome time....

If you don't know who Paul Riser is, check out this discography: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Paul+Riser

I couldn't sleep until 4am. :D

Peace!

~Shawn

Reactions: NL5
that's quite a discography... alot of compilations though....

Yep.... but the thing is, it would be next to impossible to find an exhaustive discography for him. He said at one time, they were doing 25 alblums a week at Motown... Because the publishing was taking too long, they wanted to give them plenty to do I guess....

Good one faderbug,
I'l like to hear what he's done with the bass!
Luck you Eyema. Remember the fauvists said, "Burn the museums, but after I've had one last look!" Roughly translated as...there's always something to be learn from past masters so long as we remember to move forward.

Last night, I had the chance to pick the brain of Paul Riser for a few hours.

Kickass arranger, I have played tons of his charts. He has great string parts, and pretty challenging. Charts like My Girl have amazing parts.

He brought a string section (12 folks from the Detroit Symphony)

Probably some were and some were freelancers. Lots of good players in Detroit, I go up now and then and play at the Fox.

I couldn't sleep until 4am.
Rightly so, thats a terrific opportunity.:cool:

Back