Worthwhile?

• This is awesome! Gimme me more!

Votes: 134 83.8%
  • *sigh*, whatever

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • What a windbag! Shaddap!

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
Excellent information man. It's always awesome when someone shares knowledge like you have done. Somewhere down the road I would like to open a studio, and reading your post has already given more direction and guidelines that I know will help in my endeavor.

notbradsohner said:
Dear Frederic,
Thank you for completing my semester project for my "Business Principles" class I am taking.

You're welcome, and that's exactly what running a recording studio is all about.

It's a business.

Whether you sell cars, recording time or tape dispensers, the concepts are the same.

Niimo said:
when writing a business plan for a studio, and it comes to the yearly projected income of the studio, how do you get those figures. pull them out of thin air or is there a generic way to calculate that.

Projected income is easy. Recording studios sell service based products, so it's easy to take your rate and multiply by the number of available hours in a year.

For my plan many moons ago, I figured it out based on a standard work week of 40 hours, with a two week vacation, knowing full well those hours are "shifted", meaning late afternoon through early morning, rather than 8-6pm. That comes out to a nice round number, 2000 hrs a year. If your rate is $50 an hour, that's 100K per year, rate.

I had several practice rooms that rented out for say, $40 an hour or so. That's potential for $160 an hour on top of my $50 hour rate (service multiple customers at the same time). Two of the three studios I owned or co-owned had more than one setup, meaning I could record, mix, master or whatever, more than one client at a time. So the original $50 an hour could theoretically be $100 an hour, or $200K a year.

Of course those figures are pie-in-the-sky figures. From there you have electricity, rent, insurance, compliance with fire codes, construction, annoying town-provided soliciters (join the commerce club and stuff!), sponsorships of boy scouts or girl scouts if you wish, a company car :D, heat, water, sewer, property taxes and repair if you own the facility (and if you do, and have more space than you need, you can rent some space out as we did... recover that way), selling of guitar strings and picks, purchase of replacement equipment after a bass player gets made and decides to throw your microphone out the window (oh, and a replacement window...) a cleaning service, coffee, pizza, etc.

What your business plan really is... is pretending to run the business without actually running it. You project income, and expenses, and some of those figures absolutely won't be right, so you make a decent guess based on experience, potential market, some research, visiting other studios pretending to be a customer, knowledge of your industry contracts that will record with you in a heartbeat, and so forth.

But your business plan is really pretending to run the company, then making it seem prettier for investors, should you want or need any.

Just don't exhaggerate the numbers to your favor... I'm very big on being conservative, and losing some potential investors, as compared to many others who make beautiful "slicks" with wild pie-in-the-sky numbers and have zero chance on delivering any of it.

Very fast way not to get venture capital on another project.

wow

I was really impressed with your details... I was just a hip-hop recording artist until I decided to start my own label..... be my own mgt.. This thread will be a life saver to many thankz -1

hey man

hey i wanted to start a recoding studio in my basement for prices ,i have a mackie 6 channel mixer ,eurorackub1202 mixer and another one but with only 1 channel ,and i have a good soundcard ,i have e 609silver sennheiser mic ,samson q series tom mics ,MXL991 for overheads ,MXL 990 for vocals i have 2 of those nad a shure beta mic for the kick drum ,do you think i have the potential to start a studio i currently have 200 dollars to spend if i need anything extra . heres a sample of all this equipment using an esp f-50 guitar and a crate half stack with a vintage crate cab .

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=1287

just copy and paste this into your explorer bar .

Gear Logging

Hi Fredric,
Thanks for all insights :)

I have just overhauled my project recording studio and I am getting a lot of ribbing from friends and business partner over two decisions:
1) to make the main live room and control room a No Smoking Area.
2) to number and log any equipment that doesn't require a forklift to shift.

My mates think that I'm a bit over the top. They believe that the best music is made in a totyally relaxed atmosphere - and that Mics etc should be easily accessible. One thing they do agree, however, that booze and beats don't mix.

Whats your opinion?

PS please excuse my really dodgy spelling

conorus said:
1) to make the main live room and control room a No Smoking Area.

2) to number and log any equipment that doesn't require a forklift to shift.

I don't think you're a bit over the top at all.

Ashes (or coffee) on the equipment and it's toast... requiring service or replacement.

The tar in the air if not circulated and filtered, is very acidic. You know all that hoopla in the news about acid rain eating car paints? Concentrated cig smoke is acid air. And your gear does NOT like it. Faders, pots, switches, tape heads, and tape do not like tar at all.

And, some of your customers may not like walking into a live room to sing, full of smoke. Some of my customers were rock/garage/grunge/metal bands (late 80's), but we had a lot of other customers that I personally enjoyed recording much more. A particular church would bring their huge chior over annually, to make a christmas album to sell to church members, to draw in more money at the end of the year. A local school would send over their "first chairs" and make a quartet, and we of course would record them. They'd sell those tapes at the main orchestra concert for extra cash, to pay for new loaner instruments for the orchestra. Each studio I owend had a kitchen/lounge where I allowed microwave popcorn explosions, pizza boxes, and endless smoking.

As far as inventory tags... the last studio I owned we did just that. The tags were about 1/4" wide and about two inches long I'd guess, with a sequentual number. They'd go on with this nasty epoxy, and there was no way to get the tags off without destroying them. We tagged everything that wasn't nailed down, and available for loan. I also used those sequential inventory numbers as "rental part numbers" for line items on the bill, if they were rented rather than loaned. Rarely do amps, guitars and such disappear, but mics, patch cords, guitar straps, and media disappear very easily. Fits right in a coat pocket.

Inventory the place. You can also take photos of each piece of gear, record the serial number, and the assigned tag number, and give that to your insurance company in case of theft, fire, water damage, etc. It's a very useful thing.

Also, the casual thief would likely see the tag, and NOT take it.

I am opening my first recording studio in two weeks, so this information comes to me at a great time. Thanks so much for your insight.

Myers-Briggs always gives me the INTJ reading and the "influencer" outline you describe couldn't be more like me if you knew me.

Greatest thread ever......

Seriously.

I have been on Musicianforums for more than 2 years now and on this forum for a few months and this is by far the most informational thread I have ever read on either forum.

Next year I am attending Webster University for Audio Production and getting a second degree in Business Entrep. As I'm sure you can acquire from my majors I hope to one day own my own recording studio and this has set my sights even closer to my dream. :cool:

frederic said:
The "Gift of Song" crap really kept the doors open when the studio was dead.

For some reason, my various attempts at pro studio ownership had seasonal dead spots, and at least one day a week that beyond dead.

Stocking accessories is a profitable thing too... and you can charge a little more than a guitar store. Not ridiculous, but a little more, for the convienence. We sold tons of drum sticks... not sure why... but I'd say about 1/2 of our clients (mostly practice room customers) would buy sticks when they walked in. We'd sell them for $8 and we paid less than a buck a pair :)

It all adds up...

Then the municipality takes it just as fast in taxes, and in electric LMAO.

My first studio was fun... I didn't get an electric bill for almost a year. Seems my meter was in other tenant's space, and the electric company would read theirs, and ours, and add them together and bill our neighbor. The idiot didn't notice either.

A 22 room studio does use a lot of electricity, you know ;-)

We have a huge wasp nest just above ours...I'm not sure we get accurate readings year round.

punkin said:
We have a huge wasp nest just above ours...I'm not sure we get accurate readings year round.

I don't get readings on anything. Since our house was built in the early 40's, the water and electrical meters are inside. Usually the meter readers just walk around the house, don't see the meters, and walk away and guess.

That's fine most of the year, as they generally underestimate by a lot, especially on the electrical. However, come December, they ring the bell until someone answers, then read the meter.

This past December, my electrical bill was about 2500, making up for the entire year of grossly low estimates.

Of course, I do weld a lot and I have a "server farm" in the basement. My, blinking lights are sure purty....

server-farm-small.jpg

OMG!

You're out of control...I'm thinking intervention here. Cars, Trucks, Recording, Network Servers, Welding and Fabrication...you're just playin'...an old kid...living a fantasy. Stop it...get serious and get out there and get a sucky life like the rest of us...NOW! Go on... :p

punkin said:
OMG!

You're out of control...I'm thinking intervention here. Cars, Trucks, Recording, Network Servers, Welding and Fabrication...you're just playin'...an old kid...living a fantasy. Stop it...get serious and get out there and get a sucky life like the rest of us...NOW! Go on... :p

Actually, I'm totally *in* control having my own server. I host my various domains which include web, mail and ftp. I also host my own DNS, so I can change anything I want whenever and however I like. No dependencies, no foriegn tech support, no hassles with vendors.

*And*, the main server has 1.97TB (yes, terabytes) of raid-5 storage with two hot-standbys, so up to three drives in the array can fail/die/catch on fire before I start to lose data. If I don't notice three dead hard drives, I DESERVE to lose data.

BTW... storing audio and video files (especially video because of the massive size) on a remote server with this many drives, through gigE, is by far significantly faster in both read and write than a locally attached hard drive, partly because the data is tossed across many drives, and partly because that server has 2gb of ram mostly used for caching. So my local hard drive might give me a 10-12msec read time consistantly on a 20gb file, whereas the server will average about 1-2msec. Makes things like Adobe Premiere almost "pleasant" to work with.

The drawback of course is the bandwidth and electricity costs about $280 a month to keep it online. And, because the racks are bolted to the concrete floor as well as the joists above it, during hard usage (like tape backups) standing in the kitchen is interesting... you can feel the floor "rumble" a little bit while in bare feet.

Tera Reid bytes :D

You should consider rubber isolation mounts for the racks and upper braces...help to keep the vbrations down and help you sleep at night...while you're dreaming of Tera Bites ;)

You thu' man Frederic...you thu' man. :)

It's only annoying in the kitchen, if there are no other noises. Turn on the microwave and you can't hear it.

I debated "pucking" the racks when I installed them four years ago, but it was a hassle I couldn't be bothered with. Plus, I sleep two floors up so it doesn't bother anyone at all.

It's rare that either my wife or I are awake at 2am when the backups kick off... but if we are, and in the kitchen, you hear the distinct "whirrrr cluncka-clunka-whiiiirrrrrrr of the tape library changing tapes, immediately followed by a massive rattling of the hard drives, for about 10 minutes, until it's time to change tapes again :D

And totally off topic, I started making new manifolds for my truck this past week.

IM001572.JPG

I cleaned up the left runner already, the right one was still cooling off when I took this picture.

Not bad for some scrap steel, and a long section of black pipe :D

punkin said:
Nice! I wonder how the flow bench would rate those?

No idea. Regardless of the kinked, homemade "weld els", there is no way it's going to flow worse than the really ugly stock exhaust manifolds.

BTW, the flange bolted to the red thing (which is a jig), is a turbo flange :D

I know, not recording related...

Passenger side done, 1/2 done driver side. Completed passenger side:

IM001584.JPG
IM001585.JPG

Completed in the sense that the welding, grinding, and sanding is done.

Now I have to port the exhaust ports on the two manifolds (when the second one is done) to match the massive material removal I've done on the cylinder heads.

I'm going to have to rethink my cam design... I have a feeling it's not aggressive enough because of all the porting I've done thus far. However, going with a bigger cam will suck because I have the most radical profile one can use with regular lifters... and converting the block to a roller is a PITA. Doable, but unplanned work. And I wonder why it's still not done! And I better hurry up... the original 388K mile small block is getting unhappy.

<TimTaylor>arrr arrr arrrrrrrrr</TimTaylor>

Sick puppy frederic, sick puppy. But brilliant as usual. Me and my uncle cranked 300 ponies out of a VW type IV on the dyno once. I can barely remember what we did! Love this thread even if OT.

Back