Wow.. learned a lot about mics this weekend.

tallman

This weekend I was lucky enough to take home an entire microphone kit from a local club. It wasn't the best kit in the world, but it did have some good mics, and also had a lot of 58's. The 58's were the most fun to play with.

I put on a pair of headphones, and listened to each 58. To my great surprise, 6 out of 8 58's sounded similar, but each had very distinct qualities.. the remaining two 58's had VERY different sounds.

I decided to pull off the windscreens, and take a look at these things.

Neither of the *odd* 58's had visibly damaged diaphrams, but both did have the internal foam windscreen missing. The result was a HUGE boost somewhere between 3k and 6k (I'm doing this by ear.. those frequencies might be off), and next to no response in the warm or low frequencies.

As a live engineer, I've learned to check the outer windscreen on a 58 before giving it to a vocalist, but I'd never really thought the secondary windscreen made a DRASTIC difference. It DOES.

When I'm done recording my band this weekend, I'd be happy to record a few samples so you can all hear the differences.

I'm curious if anyone has any comments on this, or experience with it.

Will this affect the performance of the mic on percussive instruments? My hope is that it will, and I'm using one of the "broken" 58's as a secondary kick mic to try and exaggerate the sound of the impact on the kick drum skin.

I don't have too much variety in terms of types of mics, so I'm labelling the mics by their distinct characteristics, and trying to use them in the most appropriate spots.

Advice welcome. Today, we are tracking drums.

Also, has anyone had succes using the ATM11 as a high-hat mic?

Oh, and a final note.. I have two beta 52's with slightly audible differences in their performance characteristics. I was surprised when trying to use this as a vocal mic how much it rejects off-axis sounds. I mean, at 2 inches away, move 1 inch to the right, and your voice is practically gone.

Are there dynamics with smaller diaphragms that have a similar performance characteristic?

I'm thrilled to have a lot to listen to this weekend.

Wish me luck on my recordings.

P.S.. we're stuck with noisy Behringer preamps. Any bets on whether or not I can make this record sound good?

After re-listening.. I just realized there are two boosts on the *broken* 58's.. One significant one in the HONK zone (around 1k), and another in the sibilant zone (around 5k). Can the internal windscreen be replaced on these mic's? Any ideas on where to get a replacement in toronto, and how to attach it (glue?)

Back