Would you pay $60 to watch Grammy "nominee" Marc Daniel Nelson mix a full song in real time?

I do watch some of his stuff. Man has god ears.
But watch someone mix, and doing it are two separate beasts. Don’t wanna pay to watch :)

Reactions: TAE
Not for me. If I was trying to run a commercial studio and thought it would help me progress in my business, I MIGHT, but for recording at home, it wouldn't be worth it.

I wouldn't. It would be like paying to watch someone driving or cooking or something else I can already do.

What would the point be of watching a master certified engineer working on an aircraft engine that you will never be allowed to service, but you might be able to look at, but probably just ride in the aircraft.

It's of interest only, and without the same kit, the same plugins and the wonderful room what is the point of knowing that if you were to have one, pressing button Z would make your mix - so you decide to buy the missing plug-in, then you carry on watching and he uses another, and another and another.

Nothing makes up for hands on with your own gear, developing your own techniques without that plugin. I'd be interested for curiosities sake, but paying $10 would probably be no. Even worse, unless you know who he is, a simple spelling mistake made me think he was a painter.

I've watched all sorts of awards ceremonies and the winners matter, unless will smith wipes out their Limelight. Does anyone remember anyone who won anything at that awards ceremony?

Through the years we have had excellent music producers, and I've watched Alan Parsons very carefully for 40 years, and even learned a thing or two, but some things you learn, you never get to be able to try until years later, because we work in totally different worlds. No doubt loads of people consider him somebody to listen to an emulate, but not unless he's doing it with modest equipment, with stock versions of plugins on typical monitoring systems with the kinds of music sources we work with. $60 to watch somebody who could be the best producer, best engineer and the most terrible presenter. I'd watch for free and donate happily if it provided me with something, but I've seen too many on-line courses that were clearly just money making products.

So that's a no from me.

So This particular instructable is one of many HERE Pro mix academy...
I subscribe to a newsletter by Warren Huart produce like pro...and he sent it they are probably connected...I agree hands on is best and learning how to use what you have is also best...enter GAS :rolleyes: If I only had these monitors, that mic, that interface, that limiter..on and on and on.

I did pay probably $50 several years back to go to an event at the Grammy museum with Alan Parsons..OK That was cool..Very small, like 75 seat bitchin theater. I was in the 3rd row dead center..And there was Alan sitting on a chair being interviewed and a backline all set up behind him...So he tells his story of his days at Apple and how he got tossed into producing DSOTM some of the fighting lightning and thunder storm stories and then...his back up band comes out and we get about a 40 minute concert...HOLY SHIT! That was cooooool....

The takeaway is capturing the genie in the bottle is easy if you happen upon a genie and you have a bottle....... and are really tricky.

Reactions: RFR
I remember a London trade show years ago, and in one of the cheaper upstairs out of the way booths - I found one selling plugs, sockets, rack strips and that kind of interesting stuff. I mentioned that the guy looked a lot like Alan Parsons - he said he was Alan Parsons and this stand belonged to a friend, who'd gone to get food. He was supposed to be on the stand of a mega console manufacturer downstairs in the centre ring, and had been marooned up there for 30 minutes!

I might. :unsure:

These courses kind play on our hopes and dreams ya know? I mean it's only $57 .... and it could be the magic we need to be successful.

Marc who?

I am completely bored to hear about 'Three time runner up nominee.....'
These people should make their films/records/or whatever, and leave it at that.
Let the audience decide who is great.
I am not for back-slapping award ceremonies.

Er, I did pay to hear Thomas Lang play and answer questions about drumming.

When I see Marc Daniel Nelson, I pay attention.

Would I pay for this course though? Nah.

I don't care for mixing professionally recorded tracks anymore, it's no fun. The songs generally sound mixed as soon as you import em, it becomes a game of. What delay do I want to automate in this section of the song, what do I want to automate in this section etc.etc. There needs to be mix breakdowns/sessions of the typical home recording. You would learn 9999x more from it. (and I am sure that's why none exist)

I might. :unsure:

These courses kind play on our hopes and dreams ya know? I mean it's only $57 .... and it could be the magic we need to be successful.
The music business has changed radically.
Producers and engineers are not getting bathe kind of money they were getting in the past.
There’s a few big time players getting the big bucks but it’s a small ‘elite’ group that’s hard to get into

Other sources of income are needed, hence, mix classes.

You think Warren Huart and Rick Beato would have youtube channels if they were busy producing? I don’t think so.

Producers and engineers are not getting bathe kind of money they were getting in the past.
There’s a few big time players getting the big bucks but it’s a small ‘elite’ group that’s hard to get into

You think Warren Huart and Rick Beato would have youtube channels if they were busy producing? I don’t think so.
I've noticed that the owners of a lot of the youtube music production channels that I have followed for years, no longer produce their own content, or not much of it. They have guest hosts that usually have their own youtube channel providing content. Some of those guest hosts I follow, some of them I did not find particularly helpful so I didn't subscribe to their channels. If I wasn't interested in the guest's host's channel, I'm not going to waste my time watching them on Warren Huart's channel that I do subscribe to, to see Warren Huart.

Yeah and Alan freeking Parsons doing his thing...are they just being philanthropic with their knowledge...hmmm?

To make a living as a musician is a rough road to travel. To make a living as an recording engineer equally tough, as a producer same..the odds of figuring out how to make the big $$ and live off the fat of the land is a story of mice and men...And I hate meece's to pieces!

Ari Herstand throws out a lot of "free" information but in the end it's about pay to learn ...

I think back when I watched my first free instructional tutorial on youtube some 20 years ago where a dude took the time to show the world how to install this after market stereo and air conditioning control kit in a Acura,...This was proprietary knowledge and this guy had to of spent a good few hours taking the time to video tape the process and post it on youtube FOR FREE...Game changing ..I was sooo impressed and it so totally gave me the confidence to go for it ..I did...mistakes were made, I swore a few times but with his instructional , a lap top in the seat of the car and stop go on the video I succeeded in accomplishing the task and was my daughters Hero...saved us @ $3K.

I have learned so much here at HR.com for FREE..Harvey Gerst was an incredible resource till the dumbasses made it so frustrating for him that he had to bid us adieu...So many others...And the reaper forums HOLY SHIT actually when you think about it there are forums now for almost any and everthing you could want to know about..but you have to sift through the stuff and many time get bad advice to get to the cheese.

These types of courses tease us into thinking they are a fast track to the cheese. IN the end maybe they are a more clarified peek into how to get the job done...or not

We all have a favorite teacher and the worst on we ever had..the luck of the draw most times...

Hmmm a lot like life.

I've noticed that the owners of a lot of the youtube music production channels that I have followed for years, no longer produce their own content, or not much of it. They have guest hosts that usually have their own youtube channel providing content. Some of those guest hosts I follow, some of them I did not find particularly helpful so I didn't subscribe to their channels. If I wasn't interested in the guest's host's channel, I'm not going to waste my time watching them on Warren Huart's channel that I do subscribe to, to see Warren Huart.

Yes very true..... Due your due diligence and carry on as you feel best suits you...There are many roads that lead to Rome and few that will take the lemmings right off that cliff and into the deep blue sea...:eek:

Well would ya punk? How about for $57.

So I guess in this pay for it and learn video..Marc goes through the whole process of him mixing a full song with plugins..
I'd pay him $57 to come to my house and show me a few things on my year 2000 Akai DAW.:geek:
Then I'd ask my wife to make him an omelette because her omelettes rock. Why, I'd even pour him a Grants whiskey and coke.

I'd pay him $57 to come to my house and show me a few things on my year 2000 Akai DAW.:geek:
Then I'd ask my wife to make him an omelette because her omelettes rock. Why, I'd even pour him a Grants whiskey and coke.
Now you're talking!

Back