Would love to hear what you think of the mix on this...

Steve Ireland

This is a tune from my (hopefully) soon to be released ep. I think the mix sounds pretty good however my singer thinks it's lacking something but he can't tell me what lol! It was mixed in Reaper and mastered using Ozone 10. Thanks for any advice from those more seasoned than me.

Attachments

• Plague Doctors - The Second Wave - Mastering Project Ozone 10 - Corruption and Greed2023-03-02.mp3
    6.3 MB
The very clear vocal up the middle is what stuck out to my ears. Maybe some stereo imaging on the vocal. Add a couple stereo plugins (maybe ReaVerb ?) to a reverb buss and pan them left/right to taste. Run the vocal through that - play around with the panning, stereo and wet/dry. Kinda spread the vocal out more to the sides so it blends more with the rest of the tracks while also keeping it up the middle.

The limiting is a bit on the heavy side, which prevents the piece from "breathing". Limiting is useful for gluing a mix together, but when the piece sounds like one long sonic scream at you, then it becomes a bit on the fatiguing side.

I think that's what sounds most "off" here. It's a bit of a loud sonic collage up against pressed glass ... and it sounds like the piece is "shouting" at you in somewhat indistinct artificial overload.

... kind of like everything is "turned up to 11".

... making everything sound unnaturally "flat" in sonic depth.

Last edited:
This is way, way too loud and is flat topping - the red danger light comes on and stays on. If you release it - spotofy and the others will instantly mess with it to make it not ring the alarm bells. I actually had in-ears in and when I pressed play, it was a made grab to pull them out as quick as I could. You need to look at the volume data - LUFs wise.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 20.20.05.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 20.20.05.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
I actually did think about the limiting aspect of it but clearly still over egged it! I’ll try taming that a bit as well as the stereo imaging stuff that Spantini mentioned. Thank you.

The intro synth reminded me of the Prodigy. Very cool. The vocal reverb treatment sounds 'cold'. I have the same problem trying to get the vocals to sit right. Maybe try a vocal doubler to thicken them instead of reverb

Back