"Work it Out"

guitar nerd note:

those guitar parts were done with my '84 carvin dc200K, shown in the pic

i had recently taken all of the original electronics out of that guitar,
it already had the bridge pickup replaced with a duncan custom custom (love that pickup)

i had my luthier wire the bridge pickup directly to the Potentiometer,
no load.

that really works with this all koa guitar.

That's a nice looking guitar. Vocals and guitar playing needs no comment. Mix-wise, I'd boost the bass a by a small amount and bring that lead guitar down again by a small amount. When a vocal drops out and is replaced by a lead guitar, I want to perceive that guitar at about the same level as the vocal it replaces. I'm hearing it just a bit louder here. The relationship between the vocal and that rhythm guitar on right, the one playing that descending riff, is perfect. Drum levels seem okay. That's a cool jam and a catchy riff. Reminds me of something Kansas might have played.

You're remixing this?

I don't think there's much point in putting your stuff in the clinic...just post in the showoff thread. :)
My only nit, is just my personal taste. I don't like full pan drums (usually try to set mine 40-55%). Hats going on on the left, and tamb and ride on the right kind of distracts attention away.
Another amazing song. I'd say, Kansas meets Nugent, but yeah.

That's a nice looking guitar. Vocals and guitar playing needs no comment. Mix-wise, I'd boost the bass a by a small amount and bring that lead guitar down again by a small amount. When a vocal drops out and is replaced by a lead guitar, I want to perceive that guitar at about the same level as the vocal it replaces. I'm hearing it just a bit louder here. The relationship between the vocal and that rhythm guitar on right, the one playing that descending riff, is perfect. Drum levels seem okay. That's a cool jam and a catchy riff. Reminds me of something Kansas might have played.

THAT GUITAR.....
my old carvin dc200k,
it's fun to play.

bass up, yes.
actually, it'll get a whole brand new treatment.

i personally like my guitar solos LOUDER than everything else!!
LOL
why be coy about it....

All the instrument sounds are great. All the playing is great.

I feel like this mix is so crushed and squashed from the first millisecond - there's no place for your excellent guitar leads to take it. You can't step up a notch from where it already is. Whereas the guitar solo could take things from the 'damn' level to the 'holy shit!' level, this is dynamically flat because you started on the 'holy shit!' level. I am wondering if a more tempered approach would allow you to feature the guitar leads a bit better.

You can't jizz all the time lol.

To some extent the vocals suffer the same fate. They are not leads, they are in the blend. The rhythm guitar seems to be a lead even when there are vocals.

You're remixing this?

I don't think there's much point in putting your stuff in the clinic...just post in the showoff thread. :)
My only nit, is just my personal taste. I don't like full pan drums (usually try to set mine 40-55%). Hats going on on the left, and tamb and ride on the right kind of distracts attention away.
Another amazing song. I'd say, Kansas meets Nugent, but yeah.

hey broken,
glad you dig it like it is...
full pan drums, check.
yep, i agree....
i'll bring em in to about 50-50......

no matter how good you think i might have done on this mix,
i KNOW there's room for much improvement,
and,
i always listen to what you guys are saying, it does help me dial in what i'm after,
so i really appreciate it

All the instrument sounds are great. All the playing is great.

I feel like this mix is so crushed and squashed from the first millisecond - there's no place for your excellent guitar leads to take it. You can't step up a notch from where it already is. Whereas the guitar solo could take things from the 'damn' level to the 'holy shit!' level, this is dynamically flat because you started on the 'holy shit!' level. I am wondering if a more tempered approach would allow you to feature the guitar leads a bit better.

You can't jizz all the time lol.

To some extent the vocals suffer the same fate. They are not leads, they are in the blend. The rhythm guitar seems to be a lead even when there are vocals.

the mix isn't squashed....
it's just a full-on played song, two minutes long, there's just no dynamics in the arrangement.

it was mastered by a pro house,
and not intended to be super dynamic....

i may mess with trying to pull out more dynamic range when i remix this,
and will probably master it myself,
so i'll pay attention to 'squishing', for sure.....
but i can mix LEVEL..... against arrangement, to build better dynamics.

--all the inputs had very light compression on them going in,
but i think it's more the nature of the style on this,
than the mastering....

Back