Woolton Church

Mine is on the right also, Sky.
The reason is the way I set the speakers up in relationship to room, plug ins and the box with the bass. My left is on the right, and the right on the left. I'm use to it so I know what is what.

~ laughs ~
Yeah, I never compared me to Neil Young before, but was afraid someone would say Neil S. So I said it first. :)

I'm glad you made it all the way through.
I know what you mean about not being qualified to comment on mixings and stuff. I'm not either.

I know my mix is a mess. I made a lot of mistakes and just did too much on the effects, forgot to set the sterio, and on and on. I'm redoing it now, a little each day, going slow, not high-balling with excitment like last time so I could just get a song out. :rolleyes:

Thanks for you comments, and you can talk mixing to me anytime. I would probably understand you more than some of these other guys/gals.

Thanks.

ye - this is pretty bad - gas :D but hey that's why we are here to learn (and shoot wind too :) )

you already redoing it and you got some good comments. just wanted to say I listened and I care :)

cheers

Thanks Fed.
I jumped into this recording thing about a year ago. I thought for a long time I bit off more than I could chew with Sonar. But now it's coming together.

Thanks for caring.

i also care badgas :) i'd look forward to your second post on this song. you've got good basic material with this song and your voice is unique so that's a great start! now you just have to fix all those things mentioned and you'll have something great in no time!

oh, i liked the organ sound on this. i'd like you to keep that.

the melody in the verse reminded me of "Got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack I went out for a ride and I never went back" a little. I'm not asking you to change it or anything, it just jumped out at me. Had to mention it.

Hello Badgas,
Just came in from watering and hoeing and downloadedya...I had imagined you with a different voice ...funny how one can make a sonic image of what someone might sound like, butanyway,mostly agree with the aforementioned (and being a drummer) I see that the drum part is the leg that limps the most on your tune...whydoncha lemme send ya some drum tracks ¿ midi, loops, empeethree, CD in the mail with audio tracks ¿ If ya dont like em you can always chuck em in Rick Millers pea patch!
el jordo

Gee Eric.
Your right. It does sound like that song.
I've done that before with a couple of other songs I've done.
Thanks for bringing that up. Now I'll never get to sleep. :)

I doctored my voice up with Chorus cuz I'm not a singer and I've always thought that I couldn't sing. Never really tried before.
Thanks for the compliment.

badgas said:
Gee Eric.
Your right. It does sound like that song.
I've done that before with a couple of other songs I've done.
Thanks for bringing that up. Now I'll never get to sleep. :)

man, i feel really bad for having said that. i'm pretty sure everything that i've written has an origin in someone else's music somewhere.

Didn't have time to read the other comments but I thought the mix was too confined to about 11 o'clock. The lead vocal wasn't at all separated from the background music. I like the sound of your voice. Sounded a little like America to me. Cool.

Although I wasn't nuts about the recording, I liked this song. There was something really honest about it that stuck with me. Your voice has an honest quality to it as well. I liked the sense of values in the lyric, and I liked the vocal. Others have commented about the mix and instrumentation, so I won't rehash all that.

I'll tell you what I would like to hear: an acoustic guitar and your voice. That might be the perfect demo of this song.

Here is what I'd do if it were mine. First, find the tempo and set up a click track. Record your acoustic or your voice and acoustic if you prefer to play and sing at the same time--to that click track. Using phones of course, so no click bleeds into the mic.

Once you have the essence of the song done like that, you can add parts like drums, electric, bass, whatever--and lock them up rock solid with the click. Just remember, that acoustic/vocal should be the focus. Everything else is just supportive color or rhythm. It doesn't need much.

When you go to mix, can the chorus on the voice and guitar. Use natural sounds with a bit of reverb if you want. This song has images of being outdoors--natural images. Make your instruments as natural. Heck, even a bit of harmonica would be cool, in a couple spots.

Hi BadGas

I think this would be very cool as a more up tempo piece.....maybe start off slow and add harmony vox....but I imagined a real Rockin' jam for this one.....
and the effects used on the vox are cool....but choppy....clippin'...ya know?

A cleaner guitar sound would be cool too....maybe double up your tracks....a little delay and verb on one off to one side and clean on the other...

The lyrics are awesome......good tunage....nuff' said about that....

Be cool GasMan,
Joe

Okay, finally got it downloaded.

Really good song, and I like the way you deliver it.

I haven't read the other comments, but I know I'm on the second page, and I know enough about this forum to know that people have pointed out this or that aspect of what doesn't work so well.

The single thing you can do to improve this song is get the vocals more up front. It sounds to me like there's about three things that'll help you do that: raise the level of the vocals about 1.5 dB, lower the level of that swirling instrument (keyboard? guitar?) about 1.5 dB, and do whatever's required to stop that intrusive, rhythmic surging (I think it's the aforementioned swirling instrument).

Oh, also - cut the overall levels of every effect you've put into this mix. It'll sound better if it's drier. It's like it's foggy/murky/drowning in effect.

I wouldn't bother with this many comments if the song wasn't worth it. :)

So, what happened at Woolton Church, then? :D

Oh, yeah, I keep forgetting the important stuff. I like this tune. It's a good one.

Well-written, well-sung. Like others, I don't care for the processed guitar (phaser?). I'd like to hear it more natural, as crawdad says.
I hear some rhythm issues that I think would be cleared up by losing some of the effects on vocals and guitar.
Strong writing and singing, the two most important things. Now you just need to make it groove a little more.

Mark

Strong writing and singing. Exactly. So get that vocal more upfront so the songwriting is more apparent, more in evidence.

Ummm..yeah.

Not to re-echo what some have said but, you sound like you are singing from the grave, and the organ from the Bela Legosi movies at the end doesn't help.

I think someone said that an increased vocal and an acoustic guitar would be cool. I'd like to hear it because the song is actually quite soothing.

Listening on laptop speakers and can't turn it up loud. ( at work. )
Seems as though I can hear some shades of "Laughter in the Rain" in there somewhere? : ) Maybe not. Maybe I'm trippin'. Actually, I kinda like it. Strange sort of feel to it. I'd like to be able to listen to it on some actual speakers. I think the chorus on the voice sort of makes the out-of-tune effect. ( or maybe you're just off key. ) But its pretty cool.

the song is OK, but I dont like that chorus guitar I think it would sound better with an acoustic. I also thought the timekeeping was a bit suspect in places, maybe try with a click track and add some percusion, drop the kit. I thought the vocals sounded right for the type of tune and it has a certain quality to it certainly enough to keep working on

technique....not my thing...effects,,...ditto ...now onto the good stuff...lyrics very well writin...really paints a picture...chord structure great..btw?...is your rec set-up comp based??...besause absolutly nothing ive done sounds even remotely this clear...if it is computer based i wish i would have found this sight BEFORE i bought my stuff....

:rolleyes:

really need to hear this fleshed out more
please do just that

nice job
jamal

Nice job badgas,

Real fine song,I like em mello.
I don't think you need the chorus on your voice though,you sound real good.

Definitly takes you back.

Best to you,
Pete

Great song, badgas

And I do like the flange on the guitar, very pinkfloydesque, but I think the voice shouldn't have it.

Where can I read the lyrics? I am mexican and didn't understand them very well because of the chorus, so... is there a written copy of them?

Very nice work.

Back