Woolton Church

hey badgas,

theres a lot of problems with this recording but the melody is a good one imop. It reminds me a bit of a combination between Neil Young and the way Bill Ward used to sing.

First off the whole thing is basically on the left side..There is almost nothing coming out of the right.. second it's very low.. The drums sound a little off sometimes too.. You should bring up the guitars and the keys and the vocals.. add some bass too..Also there are a few spots where the vocals are clipping. Were you banging the mic while you were singing? I hear some thumps.. I think the vocals would maybe have to be redone as well as some of the timing issues handled.. Make the recording levels lower when your recording the vocals and raise the music volume on your headphones when you sing.. That will help you sing a little stronger and slightly louder.. It sometimes helps me stay in key too.. Bring up the everything except the drums, and/or retrack it paying closer attention to some of the timing issues..

You got the melody happening and only drifted off key a few times, but a little more time into this is needed.. Maybe someone else will give you some other tips, but this is a good start..

I did like the melody and the lyrics..

late
sam

Thanks guys.
I know its a mess.
Sonar is really complicated to me.
I'll work on it somemore and see if I can fix the things you mentioned.

considering your name...

...I thought for sure you'd rip one somewhere in the arrangement ;)

Seriously badgas, this is a nice pretty song. The only thing I'm not really liking is that heavy chorus on the guitar. Other than that, there's plenty of feeling and a great melody. Lissen to Sammy and mixmkr tho. They's right :D

Didn't hear the need for de-essing, btw.

Chad

Hey Badgas,

Ditto on the advice and compliments. You've a cool voice. I'd recut it and up it in the mix. If you're hearing esssesssss... be careful with the effects you apply to the vox as they might emphisize the prob.

Cool tune,
I've read the lyrics and the song really embraces the nostalgic bent of the song:)

Peace,

Theron.

Hey cool stuff Badgas. The off balance thing is certainly noticable. It would be ok if that organ would fill the right side now and again. But better to get the balance setup correctly.

I don't hear any sibilance problems.

The drums have some timing/coordination problems between kick, snare and the ride. You played this live on a drum machine I bet.

Bass is blurry.

Overall, this is a very nice tune, just needs some fixing here and there. You have a good mellow voice.

Rock on.

Hi Part.
No, no ripping. :D
I put some flanger effects on the guitar. I thought it gave depth to the song, and since it's mostly about memories I figured it'd fit in.
When I redo it, I'll lower it a bit. I like the song better with it than just guitar though.
I listen to everyone, Part. Everyone's opinion means something.
Thanks.

Hey, Theron.
I added some chorus to my voice to smooth it out or what ever chorus does to a voice. You could be right about the effects.
Glad you like the song.

Hey Emeric.
It took a while but I finally got something up. :)
I make sure there is more balance between tracks next time. Others mentioned that also.
The organ was a last minute idea. It played it's self or something, I think with the guitar sounds. It's off key in several places. I thought I removed it but guess I didn't.
I let the drum machine do the kick and snare on it's own. Later I added the ride and yes, I did it. Man, your good.
Thanks for the compiments.
I'd like Mesh to hear it but I haven't seen him around for quite a while. Guess he's busy. Hope he comes back.

Just have to echo all the above comments. It seems to me the drums are your weakest link.

Hey Badgas.......
I for one dug your voice. I dig N. Young, and youve definitely got some Neil in ya. It really suits your song too. Yea, there are some recording and mix issues that have been covered. .....the panning, the drums,.....and im not sure what that bass sound is but i didnt really care for it too much. I liked the chorus filled guit. though..... I thought it kinda went along with the N. Young vibe. Beautiful song and lyrics..... put some more work into this........ It could be great! ......"Badass":D g

Guernica said:
Hey Badgas.......
I for one dug your voice. I dig N. Young, and youve definitely got some Neil in ya. It really suits your song too. Yea, there are some recording and mix issues that have been covered. .....the panning, the drums,.....and im not sure what that bass sound is but i didnt really care for it too much. I liked the chorus filled guit. though..... I thought it kinda went along with the N. Young vibe. Beautiful song and lyrics..... put some more work into this........ It could be great! ......"Badass":D g
Ditto to everything Guernica said. What is that thumping sound? I know it's intentional 'cause it's right on the beat. Whatever it is I hate it. Sorry. :( The songs pretty damn fine though and I like your voice.

Been busy around here, sorry it took so long to get back to ya.

Thanks Track. I think the whole mix is weak. I'm gonna redo the entire thing.

Guernica, I like Neil Young also, but never thought I could sing like him.

Lt. I think that thumping sound, and I'm not sure, is from my picking hand. When I play acoustic I have a tendency to bump the box with my fingers, sorta like a fill in the background when I play solo.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll definatly correct that.

Thanks Kramer.
Ya know, I've started redoing the song now.
While I'm doing it, I'm also thinking back to when I did that one you heard.

It was new, my first one. I was so excited to finally, after months of dicking around with sonar, get a track laid, that even if it sounded like pure shit, I'd of still thought it was great. I was looking for a finished product instead of a product that was finished the best I could do. Youth in recording.

Now I see/hear what is wrong and I'm trying to correct it.

Thanks everyone.

I thought this was a fairly nice tune. Some ideas for when you're retracking...

I thought the flanger on the guitar was too heavy. You might want to dup the guitar track and apply the flanger to one of them. Then you can use them as your wet/dry mix and play with the volume of them.

When you retrack the vocals pay close attention to pitch, and punch in the parts that have issues. For effects you might want to consider reverb and/or delay. I didn't think the chorus worked all that well.

I'm not sure if a more involved bass part would make it a better song, buy you might want to consider it.

Just some thoughts...

badgas(that shoud have been my user name)

nothing to add but ditto, i think i read the lyric's for this in the song writing forum???? can't remember:( nutti'n but prop's man!!
i'll second the neil young vox, nice pipe's!!

thank's for sharing!!

peace

rick

Triple.
I'll try the dup on the guitar tracks with some lesser flanger on one of them. I guess I got carried way a bit. :rolleyes:
Singing is new to me, so I will take your comments seriously.
I now have a bass, so the next time it'll be right.
Thanks for your input.

Hey Fender.
Thanks for the vocal comment. I was afraid I'd be classed with Neil Sedaka.
~ dabs my brow ~

B.SABBATH said:
First off the whole thing is basically on the left side..

That's weird... I hear it on the right. I gotta look at them fuckin speakers again. Was that the famous Ensoniq E-mu PK-6 in the back there? You don't really sound much like Neil Sedaka, maybe there's a subtle influence there.

Allright...enough screwing around. Nice tune. I've said before, here, that I'm not qualified to comment on anyone's recording chops, so I won't. I like the song. To me that's what really matters...is it a good tune. That is, of course, outrageously subjective but what else is there? If I don't like 'em I don't listen to 'em. Simple. Yours made it all the way to the end.

Thanks fer sharin.

lou

dobro.
There is something wrong with their site. I was just over there and no ones files come up, only an error sign.
First time that's ever happened.

Back