Wood finish for a guitar rack

Chinaman

I'm building a guitar stand and need some advice on what finishes are guitar safe and what I should stay away from. A friend told me some finishes can leave burn marks if a guitar rests on it long enough. I know guitar stands with cheap rubber or plastic can leave marks so I guess it's possible... I was going to use a water based finish, but now I'm not sure.

I'm building a guitar stand and need some advice on what finishes are guitar safe and what I should stay away from. A friend told me some finishes can leave burn marks if a guitar rests on it long enough. I know guitar stands with cheap rubber or plastic can leave marks so I guess it's possible... I was going to use a water based finish, but now I'm not sure.
Finish it with whatever you think looks good - because you'll want to put something between the wood and the guitar anyway, right? Some cork or rubber or something?

You'll most likely want something other than finish between the wood and the guitars resting on it. After a lengthy period of use, the finish on that section would be worn/scratched off anyway.

Any drawings or pictures to post as samples of what you're going to build?

Hmmm, I never thought about the damage that would build up over time. Good call.

I have pictures on my camera but we just moved. The cable that connects it to the PC is missing :( As soon as I find it I'll put up some pics.

The sides of the stand are basically somewhere between an "L" and an upside down "T" shape (with a design, but that's just extra stuff). The four feet of space between them has room for 12 guitars. Two dowels along the bottom wrapped with felt or some sort of fabric for cushioning to cradle the guitar bodies, and a plank along the top with slots cut out for the necks. I routed out the neck slots so they were rounded with no corners. I like the way it looks and don't want to cover them up, but as you guys pointed out... damage over time. Now I have to find something reeeeally thin to put between the wood and guitar necks because with the guitars in, I think I only have something like 1/4"-1/2" of clearance.

I remember seeing a roll of cork at the hardware store that was 1/8" thick. Maybe they'll have a roll that's 1/16"... Cork is safe, right? Slowmotion mentioned it so I'm assuming it is.

I don't know shit about this stuff but I've been following this thread and I'm a lifelong diy-er.

One thing about cork is that it doesn't stand up real well - it tends to break out in chunks.

Wouldn't felt work well? I just bought a roll of felt weatherproofing at Ace Hardware. It was 5/8" wide, something like 15' long for $2.19. It's sold for around windows to seal up cracks. That might work. You could use either spray glue or contact cement to affix it.

pipe insulation foam

I built one and for padding I used a long piece of foam used to insulate pipes. It has a hole already formed through the middle and a slit down one side so you can easily slide it on a dowel (or pipe). You can get them in several colors at the Big Box hardware store, (I used black)

They come in several sizes and lengths.

If you have ever used a "noodle" as a "floatie" in a pool, it is made of the same foam.

They are cheap so if it wears out you just pop on a new one. Even though they are cheap it gave the stand a surprisingly commercial/professional look.

I built one and for padding I used a long piece of foam used to insulate pipes...

That's an excellent idea. :) I used that stuff on my solar water pipes on my roof and for some reason my cats think it's the ultimate clawing post and every day I find small pieces of it in my yard. :mad:

But I can see how that would look good for guitars and be easy too.

Finish it with whatever you think looks good - because you'll want to put something between the wood and the guitar anyway, right? Some cork or rubber or something?

This.^^^^^

You will also find that some guitar finishes will "print" under certain conditions. Not common but can happen so use a fabric with a small weave or even better a chamois leather.

Thanks for the input guys :)

I think I'll line the neck slots with some felt or fleece. I have to get some anyway for the bottom where the guitars sit. I'll get a little extra while I'm at it.

Cheers!

Back