Wish it Away

Drums seem a little hidden in this mix....maybe bring them up a little, give them a bit more depth...brighten them up....:confused:

Vocals do seem to sit a little bit on top of teh mix...maybe drop them down a notch in volume, and the guitars, and then make the whole mix louder?

I think the performance is fine...the mix just needs some tweaks. Biggest one I hear is the drums..they are not coming through the way I would like to hear them....they could be more prominent.

Overall song structure is cool...nice tune man. :cool:

I can't really find fault with it-well, my ears are not their best from this damned cold that hit me this weekend...:mad:
There is a great sound from the acoustic guitar, a good stereo spread too, I think you're voice is a great fit for the song-don't discount yourself, it works very well.
I'll check back when this cold is gone and see what I hear then.

i like the way the drums sound, i'd mostly bring up the snare a bit. but it sounds cool like they are in the background then they come up front during the chorus. vocals are good, guitars are cool. i would try a couple different things with the vox....maybe give it a shot with them a bit drier and see how that sounds. sometimes i have a thing for a really dry vocal on top of ambient guitar/drums/bass. it makes the vox really cut without being too loud. i dunno if it'd work for this particular song, but thats what i'd personally do. maybe put a sharp edge on the vox with some comp/eq and put a light delay on it instead of reverb. the way they are right now just sounds kinda middy to me. i just like messing around with different vocal sounds.

anyway this song is really awesome dude. sounds sorta like APC meets Staind or something. love the song. let me mix it! haha ;) great work man.

That is pretty cool. Nice job on this...

I really like the swirling organ (synth? plug-in? I dunno) sound during the verses. It is not too prominent, but provides a nice backdrop for everything else. I kept thinking that the 2nd of the two alternating organ tones didn't quite fit with the guitar chord change and wished there was some sort of overtone added that more closely followed the change on the acoustic guitar, but it does create a little tension, which may be a good thing.

I think your singing is very good...especially for this style of song. Of the previous comments, I'd agree with bringing up the drums and maybe trying drier vocals. This is a really nice piece you have going here...

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

What you're hearing on the vox is a short delay and a long delay, no verb. I backed it off some and turn them down overall.

I agree about that second organ creating a little too much tension. I actually like the guitar riff right there and hate to cover it up. Ideally I was hoping for my girlfriend to lay down that melody in some "Ahhh" or something. I'm not sure if its a little busy at that point of the song or not.

Which is why I'm asking for help here. :D

I actually tweaked some using all of the provided info thus far.

NEW Version

Thanks again for the time!!

Very ambient sounding mix... It seems somewhat detached and gives a relaxing sensation where the it can be loud but never annoying or gritty or nerve wracking.

Drums - good level and spread
Accoustic Guitar - seems to lean left a bit too much. Noticeable in the beginning especially. Something more on the right to balance would be good.
Bass - nice and heavy, not much definition but excellent carry - sort of a low hum below the rest. Good...
Vocals - still seem a bit wet as compared to the rest. I would maybe try and balance that a tad. Cool voice - not unlike Hootie...
Mix - agains seems to lean a tad left.

The tune is great too, I like your writing and arranging.....

:):D:):D

The sound is really cool sounding. :) The singing is just right. Don't change it. The the tune is pretty cool.

Two things I'd say:
1 - Raise the drums by a good 2-3db.
2 - Lower the bass and low mid scoop, or just low-mid scoop by about 3-5db.

Sounds a little loud. Bass is a little metal'ish requiring crunchy gits and screaming vox.

:)

yeah i'm hearing a little too much bass...maybe get a little more definition on the kick drum. bring the snare up a bit more. vocals seem like they were lowered just a bit too much, maybe just put a bit more air on em or something. and it just feels kinda busy in the low-lowmids. i like the way the bass blends into the background on this sound though, sounds cool. and once again, awesome song.

Nicely written song. The tune at "if I could wish it away" is great. I thought the original mix had a pretty good balance. The arrangement relies heavily on the ac gtr and I think all the song really needs is a very clean and clear rhythm gtr sound.

I listened to both your mixes because I didn't see you had a second up yet... I think the second one is better overall, but I think you had the bass volumes better in the first one. I like the thickness of the acoustic sound and do like the vocals, they fit well. The writing is good, especially like the guitar run in the chorus. When it quiets down I don't know if I like the way the distorted drums are panned so far right as much, a bit distracting from the guitar for me. Good section there though and ending. Dig the tune, sweet! :D

Awesome guys, thanks for all the help!!

ido- thanks for the complements on the open feeling. As most ppl, I've now gone past the "squash" phase on my mixes and now use very little on the main bus. Just a little brickwall limiter with very little just for a couple peaks in the song.
I do agree with you other commets, I'll do a little more tweaking.

bubba - Yea, I went bass crazy with that last mix. When I backed down the vocals and brought up the drums, that made the bass too quiet so I guess I over compensated. Thanks for the complements on my singing, I'm still working hard at it so I still don't have much confidence.

zed - read above on bass. Yea on the vocals, I purposefully low passed at about 11.5k as I'm not very good at pronuciation while singing. :o I hear less of my mistakes when I do this. :D Also, yea the bse/low bass got outta whack on me. Thanks for listening!!!

XLR - I'm glad you liked that part. Its also the part my kids like and sing around the house.:D I just wish I could sing it without sounding like a pussy!! :D THanks for the comments!

Snakedog - Yea the bass.. I'll fix er up. :cool: Thanks on my singing!! Yea, originally that mid section was supposed to be acoustic hard left, but I forgot to mute the right side during that part. I actually need to redo the acoustic because there is a wrong note in that section, and the timing got effed during the last chorus. I'm glad you liked the playing!!

Thanks again guys for taking the time!!

Also I thought I should mention. This is the first time I've used mostly MIDI for a song. Aside from two vocal parts, there is the main acoustic track, and the little lead acoustic/dirty that comes in in the middle. Everything else was "in the box". :D

I really like your voice in this! :)

Great song!

It's be nice to have the vox out front more... Maybe some side-chained compression against the acoustic guitar to drop it a little more when the singing kicks in?

Good job!

:)

Thanks ZeD!!

Actually the only instrument really played and an acoustic. The main rhythm track, then one other lead track in the middle. Everything else was midi. So I guess you could say I played keys. :D But yes, its all me.

I'm on phones today, so take it for that....

Sounding better to me...and I agree...nice performance on the vocals...they fit the tune well. They do seem to clash just a bit with the guitar in this mix..get a little hidden at times. Did you compress teh guitars at all?

Back