Wiring mono jack to mono jack...

fishkarma

Right this should be simple but I have probably over thought it and have confused myself...

Marshall 2203 Amp jcm800> Mono speaker cable> Cab.
Sounds simple, is simple.

My confusion:
I have a TS jack going to a TS jack there are two wires on the speaker cable from wiring speakers before I take it I can solder tip to tip and sleve to sleve and should be safe.

From wiring guitars before I know that the sleeve is used for sheilding and a mono signal is passed down the tip.

I also know many guitarists use regular guitar cables to go between the two so although I know you do not use a guitar cable (due to their incapicity to handle the power) I know that the signal gets sent fine down one of the cores and thus the confusion of why don't these cables require two cores to get the speakers working like a regular amp (non guitar amps).

Am I safe to wire tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve like I think or should I ignore the sleeve as it would be grounding for the sheilding which I dont have on the cable and just wire tip to tip?

Maybe you can see my confusion, Maybe not. I can see my stupidity but I figure its better to be safe rather than sorry, personally I'd say its tip to tip sleeve to sleeve...
Cheers for any help/clarification

-Josh

Speaker cables just have two cores and no shield. So pick one wire and make it tip, and the other is sleeve. Just be sure to wire the other end the same way, or you will reverse polarity!

Back