Wiring an EMG With No Tone Pot

mike2731

Does anyone have a wiring diagram (or can tell me what goes where???) for installing an EMG with only a single volume pot and no tone? I have my pickup and a stereo barrel jack ready to go, but I'm not really figuring out the wiring without the tone pot, and the EMG site doesn't provide a diagram for it. Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

mike2731 said:
Does anyone have a wiring diagram (or can tell me what goes where???) for installing an EMG with only a single volume pot and no tone? I have my pickup and a stereo barrel jack ready to go, but I'm not really figuring out the wiring without the tone pot, and the EMG site doesn't provide a diagram for it. Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

See where where the tone pot is in the diagram? There is one wire going to ground. And since there will be no tone pot, that specific ground is no longer needed. The other two are basically and IN and an OUT. So make those just one non stop connection and its done.

Thanks Outlaws, so I don't need the 3rd wire connected to the jack at all then (just take it off of the volume pot completely)? I'll only need the 2 solder points on the jack?

if you want to turn the battery on and off with the jack you need to use two grounds. instead of sending the hot off the vol pot just put it to the jack.

OK, so I have the black wire running to the jack from the battery, and which are the other 2 wires I hook up to the jack, and where are they connected to the volume pot?

normalizer said:
if you want to turn the battery on and off with the jack you need to use two grounds. instead of sending the hot off the vol pot just put it to the jack.

I thought that EMG pups ran on a "normally closed" circuit, meaning that the power from the battery would not flow until you had plugged in a cable to complete the circuit causing it to be open.

The red wire goes to the battery, the white wire goes to the right lug on the volume pot, and the black wire goes to ground. The middle lug of the volume pot goes to the tip of the jack, the black battery termical goes to the ring of the jack, and the left terminal on the pot goes to ground, with all the grounds (including the pot body, which you may as well use as your ground point) go to the jack ground.

Do NOT ground active EMG's to the bridge.

Essentially, it looks like THIS, but for a two conductor pickup, and then add in the battery.

Or, another way of looking at it is, if you have a diagram which HAS a tone control, just cut the tone control out. It will consist of the tone pot and a capacitor (assuming you don't have an active tone stack, which is a whole other thing).

I think I did a thread on wiring guitars a while back, didn't I? The only wierd thing with EMG's is to add the battery and to remove the bridge ground.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Yeah, that's what I though. All you have to do is add the battery to the volume control block in THIS THREAD. The reed wire from the pickup goes to the red battery terminal, and the black wire from the battery goes to the jacks ring terminal.

And don't ground to the bridge, but I've already said that (it makes EMG's noisy).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back