Windows XP Service Pack and SONAR

AlChuck

Anyone had the guts to install the new Service Pack? Any issues, particularly regarding SONAR? :confused:

Last edited:
I thought they had already put up something on their web site. I know there was another post that pointed to a Cakewalk link.

From memory it was something to do with the way that the firewall 'interferred' with programs. You need to put it in an allowed list.

Here's the link

Personally I saw the Auto-update at work.. it's finally! gone live. I think from memory (at home now) it's between a 64MB download and 200MB or so download!

Porter

I have not installed it.

I'm currently using Win XP w/SP1a (GTPro). Seems to be working for now...

The general consensus that I've seen on this and other bbs is to stay away from SP2, at least until it gets used for a while (tested) by the general public.

From what I'm hearing, it's main benefits are security fixes...useful if your DAW is hooked to the internet, I suppose (mine is not, nor will it ever be)...

I've also heard/read that it can create problems for DAWs in the sense that it causes numerous other programs to be loaded into the startup menu.

My .02...
Tom

From what I'm hearing, it's main benefits are security fixes...useful if your DAW is hooked to the internet, I suppose (mine is not, nor will it ever be)...
That's the gist of it.
Nothing beats a dedicated rig,multi purpose machines are just a compromise.

I'm running it with Sonar Producer, a UAD1 and a Lynx II soundcard. All on an ASUS motherboard homebuilt P4. Not one hiccup so far. The Lynx II was my biggest concern but things are smooth as butta.

Middleman said:
I'm running it with Sonar Producer, a UAD1 and a Lynx II soundcard. All on an ASUS motherboard homebuilt P4. Not one hiccup so far. The Lynx II was my biggest concern but things are smooth as butta.

I was under the assumption that there is no benefit to installing it on a dedicated DAW,so why bother?

I just did it, and i don't kow but there is that security thing that sarts at the beginning. It says that my computer might be at risk... blabla bla.

The only issue is that I use that computer for live performances: Sonar3 with midi and waves and since i installed sp2 I have a HUGE backround sound on my soundcard, I can't tell if it's SP2 or the fact that I went on musicxp.com and optimized my computer for better performance. (the sound card is a connexant audio. not a great card but used to work fine before).

i might remove sp2 if it is possible

lapieuvre

Another option for secure surfing

For those (including me) who do not have a dedicated DAW, I have another suggestion that lets you have protection from all the spyware/adware/web hijacker malware out there. I had some problems with spyware recently and it was tough to get rid of it, although I eventually succeeded using a program called Hijack This. However, now I surf the net with Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

I can't tell you how good it is. First of all, it's free. Second, no pop-ups at all. Third, it's fast. Fourth, it's secure. My basic understanding is that, because it is not, sort of, embedded in the operating system like Internet Explorer, it is harder for malicious code to change the things it wants to. Or maybe the difference is that all the malicious code is written to target IE users. Anyway, I'm a convert. Check it out at www.mozilla.org.

Windows wouldn't need most of these security features in SP2 if people just used Firefox.

Back