Windows Service Pack Piece of Crap

A1A2

I was told not to update windows (XP) unless something is wrong, well, I just heard that one of the updates helps spyware and etc that gives me all the popups when IE ISN"T on. So I installed service pack1 and some little things and now my computer crashes ever 30 mins or so, and it runs noticeably slower than usual. worst of all, those damn popups are still showing up....arrgghh

What can I do? Can I uninstall the update?
Al

The SP install will have taken a system backup before doing the updates.

Just do a system restore back to that backup

Bulls Hit said:
The SP install will have taken a system backup before doing the updates.

Just do a system restore back to that backup

Unfortunately, system restore was/is turned off....I have another problem right now, I tried to use Lasy Known Good Configuration at boot up and my colors are now 4bit with the lowest resolution and I can't change that back. Tried to reboot, same thing again unless I boot into safe mode, then I get my colors and resolutions back...

Any idea what's going on?

Al

SP1 doesn't help or hinder the fact that you have spyware on your computer. Don't blame Microsoft for something that you did by surfing to questionable websites.

If you're having that much trouble, SP1 isn't the problem. I would just do a complete reinstall.

A1A2 said:
I was told not to update windows (XP) unless something is wrong, well, I just heard that one of the updates helps spyware and etc that gives me all the popups when IE ISN"T on. So I installed service pack1 and some little things and now my computer crashes ever 30 mins or so, and it runs noticeably slower than usual. worst of all, those damn popups are still showing up....arrgghh

First off, who told you that? Not uptade XP unless something is wrong? Thats just plain studpid given the number of discovered security vunerabilities in XP.

Common sense would dictate veryfying that on the Microsoft website rather than trusting "someone's" opinion.

XP SP2, which is due out later this year, will indeed have some popup blocking functionality as well as a better Firewall.

Polaris20 said:
Don't blame Microsoft for something that you did by surfing to questionable websites.

In the original posters defense..spyware is on probably everyone's computer except those who vigorously scan/delete it. So although the majority of spyware may be found at questionable sites...it can also be found on computers that do not go to such places. We cannot automatically accuse someone of going to a questionable site.

Second..alot of people use either ad-aware, spybot S&D, or both!

You can uninstall the SP1 software and get back to where you were. Use the control panel and the Add Remove applet.

However there's nothing in XP that makes spyware easier. That sounds like one the standard rumors that have no basis.

Ed

the only way to really get rid of spyware:
lavasoft ad-aware
spybot search and destroy

run both of those.

next:
www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn
downloads.
CWShredder. run it.
Hijack This! scan with it, delete ONLY entries that you know are not what you want.

SP1 made my computer awesome. haha.
also, there IS some system updates on there with IE that helps to stop the windows messaging service, etc. - aka ads popping up randomly in a wierd window, you know?

I have no idea where the spywares come from, so I won't bother touching on that issue. Spywares/popups aren't really my issue at the moment as my computer isn't even functioning normally.

My screen is in 4 bit colors at the lowest resolution, I can't uninstall SP1 because it doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs, but when I boot up the computer, it says I have SP1 somewhere around the welcome page. Totally weird...

Al

haha..dude maybe you should
a - not use a computer for recording
and
b - contact microsoft. haha.

just kidding
but really....

right click desktop, go to properties. all the way over to the last tab. set your color/resolution.

perhaps you don't need to uninstall SP1...what are your other problems, specifically?

Ed Dixon said:
You can uninstall the SP1 software and get back to where you were. Use the control panel and the Add Remove applet.

However there's nothing in XP that makes spyware easier. That sounds like one the standard rumors that have no basis.

Ed

That is only an option if you specified that SP1 backup files upon installation.

i believe i had this happen to me once after installing a sp update. You should be able to just go back and re-install your video card driver.

Couple of tips:

In order to avoid spyware/virus problems avoid Microsoft browsers/email-clients. Outlook Express is virus heaven and IE has ActiveX hooks into the O/S :\
Try using Thunderbird and Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org

Have a dual boot system if you can't afford 2 PCs. One of the two systems should not be connected to the internet (remove or disable ethernet card and/or modem from this system in 'Device Manager') or have any extranious software (e.g. games, firewall, anti-virus) on it.

Always keep your Windows systems as up-to-date patch-wise as possible.
Always keep your 'system' partition (usually 'C:') seperate from your applications and data partitions (you do have seperate partitions for all these things don't you? ;) ).
This way you can regulary format your system partition(s) and re-install Windows in order to keep it running smoothly.

When you re-install Windows (evey 6 months or so is a good idea IME), install stuff in this order:
Windows XP (including SATA Drivers on a floppy if required)
Windows Service packs
Mainboard drivers
Monitor Driver
Graphics Card drivers
Ethernet card drivers
Modem Drivers
Soundcard Drivers
USB device drivers
'Other' Device drivers
Windows Update
Applications

One safe way to protect your system is to have a PC for music and another PC for internet. The internet PC doesn't need to be more than 266 mhz. You can get a used system "complete" for $200.
If the internet PC gets "contaminated", re-load windows.
If you need stuff on your music PC, transfer from internet PC to music PC.

Rule Number 1 ---- always make a backup, especially of the important stuff.
If your PC crashes, or HD goes kapput, you will have the files.

Codmate said:
When you re-install Windows (evey 6 months or so is a good idea IME), install stuff in this order:
Windows XP (including SATA Drivers on a floppy if required)
Windows Service packs
Mainboard drivers
Monitor Driver
Graphics Card drivers
Ethernet card drivers
Modem Drivers
Soundcard Drivers
USB device drivers
'Other' Device drivers
Windows Update
Applications

There's a flaw in your process.

How are you supposed to install the updates before installing the ethernet driver if you're using broadband?

Ummm - Windows update comes after Ethernet Drivers if you look at my list :)

You should have SP1 stored on CD or on one of your data partitions :D

All required drivers should be downloaded and stored somewhere safe before formatting.

BTW - never let Windows Update install drivers for you, I made that mistake recently and it was a disaster! Always download drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Back