Windows 7 v Windows 10 for music production?

On at least three Dells I have owned, a message comes up - the power adaptor type cannot be verified - charging is inhibited or something very like that message, The 17" one just refused to accept the same voltage, same power capacity charger from a different one. No idea how the computer determines the charger is the wrong type if the voltage is the same? T'internet says this.
Use this adapter. $3.99

The Dell power supply I use is from an old Dell Inspiron 600m. I have used it for years with the original 600m laptop and two newer Dell laptops. I have powered my current Dell, the XPS 15 7590 with the adapter in the link, using the old Dell 600m power supply for almost two years with no problems. I imagine there is a chip or something in the adapter that tells the laptop it's the correct power supply. There are no error messages, and the laptop battery charges normally.

One of the answers on that product says you may get the message about incompatible charger - as that lead does not modify the data line, and on a Dell that requires this to enable charging, you're still stuck!

One of the answers on that product says you may get the message about incompatible charger - as that lead does not modify the data line, and on a Dell that requires this to enable charging, you're still stuck!
Nope, works fine, and I have three of them that I use with three of the earlier Dell power supplies. Considering a new Dell XPS power supply is $30+, I decided to roll the dice for $4. Bought one adapter, it worked, so I bought two more. Paid off for me.

Out of curiosity, what model laptop do you have? Maybe power supplies are different in the UK? Are you trying to use a generic aftermarket power supply?

I'm pretty much all mac now - but it was a couple of Dells from around 3 years ago. One would power the other fine, but the other way around, the computer recognised the wrong PSU and gave a message saying charging was disabled. Google suggests it's common and the data core in the cable is responsible.

As a pro Windows comment - my older macbook pro battery died. Theyre glued in and apple wanted £200. I gave in and they sent it away. They found another fault that I didn;t know about and wanted £480 for a repair. They were unwilling to just fix the battery - but needed to repair the fault I didn't know about. I've bought a new batery for £80 and will fit it myself!

Too bad about the battery replacement. I guess the theory is by the time the battery craps out, it's time for a new laptop, phone etc. I don't understand why they can't just repair what you sent it to them for. They probably thought you would pay more without question. The good thing is, the fix for everything is on youtube. Been there and done that. Good luck.

I have been a long time user of Windows 7 which I love because of it's ease of use and accessability.
I am running Ableton for my music compositions which is running sweet.

The need for Windows 10 applications is now creeping in as Windows 7 is starting to become more redundant for certain programs .

My friend has Windows 10 and I hate it, but am I missing out in regards to music production or should I carry on with Windows 7 to the death as it were?
Could be worse.... I still have an Atari ST with Cubase 3.1 😆 It still works for me, all I know as I am an old fart 😄 I do have Cakewalk DAW though and trying to learn this modern strange new world 🥰🥰

I see that some folks have their DAW's connected to the internet. Is there an advantage to this? I am firmly in the I hate WIN10 automatic forced update group so I am planning on keeping my machine off of the net. Is there any reason to change that?
No , keep it off line for as long as you can. If it works now then i wont need " updates " , which imo are more about gathering intel and improving easy back doors into your system to poke around and see what youre up to. Presently there are around 140 back door loops into win 11 from what ive seen reported on line. With all the nefarious activity thats happening on line these days a malicious ransom ware hack is the last thing anybody needs ..

In addition theres 2 basic things id recommend doing. 1: use a local account when using your off line pc as opposed to an Admin account. 2: disable " AutoPlay " , Auto play may allow executable programs to run that may sneak in on mem sticks and other file transfers. its not a guarantee for security but it will help.

No , keep it off line for as long as you can. If it works now then i wont need " updates " , which imo are more about gathering intel and improving easy back doors into your system to poke around and see what youre up to. Presently there are around 140 back door loops into win 11 from what ive seen reported on line. With all the nefarious activity thats happening on line these days a malicious ransom ware hack is the last thing anybody needs ..
Why would you ever need to bring it online? This is a genuine question.

For myself, I’m running PT 10 and windows 7 (offline)

I have no need for any new plugins. Stock work just fine.

Don’t see the need to upgrade anything.

WAV files can always be transferred to an SSD or thumb drive and be put into another online computer for sharing and distribution.

So what would be the need for going to a newer version of Windows? I see no benefit and only liabilities.

Thanks for any answers

If you don't need to be online for anything, then there's no reason you need to update.

For many people that simply isn't practical, since they maybe be using the same computer for audio work as they do for everyday tasks. I pull down files from Google Drive quite a bit, upload tracks to Dropbox and other online tasks all the time. Being offline means having to go to another computer, download to that computer and then sneakernet the files to the DAW system, and reverse the whole process once I finish.

Add to the fact that I have had no more issues with Win10 than WIn7, it gives me no reason NOT to update.

Well I ran a Spitfire plugin today - I had to download the latest Spitfire App to update the library. I'm in the away from home office, and Steinberg wanted me to deactivate the other one to start this one. The fact is so much stuff is constantly updated nowadays, when yopu spend maybe £500 on software, internet houskeeping and verification is just how it is. My old Cubase dongles and using USB sticks to move stuff between machines is just plain silly - it's just impossible. My computer here 500 miles from home uses my NAS drive back home, and I have access to everything. Stick with old versions, old sounds, old systems? Nope not for me!

Why would you ever need to bring it online? This is a genuine question.

For myself, I’m running PT 10 and windows 7 (offline)

I have no need for any new plugins. Stock work just fine.

Don’t see the need to upgrade anything.

WAV files can always be transferred to an SSD or thumb drive and be put into another online computer for sharing and distribution.

So what would be the need for going to a newer version of Windows? I see no benefit and only liabilities.

Thanks for any answers
um yeah .. and the answer i gave is 100% genuine .. do you think i was being sarcastic ?

In addition theres 2 basic things id recommend doing. 1: use a local account when using your off line pc as opposed to an Admin account. 2: disable " AutoPlay " , Auto play may allow executable programs to run that may sneak in on mem sticks and other file transfers. its not a guarantee for security but it will help.
This post here confused me. Keep in mind that I get the impression that you are quite more computer savvy than I am.
It gave me the idea that even if your windows 7 machine is off line, the ‘ internet demons’ could still get you.

But no, I wasn’t being sarcastic at all.

Does anyone use a VPN for accessing systems, especially like Rob, where he is logging into a NAS drive from a remote location? The only thing I would worry about is that it's one more layer of software running in the background that could mess with latency. It wouldn't matter if you are just pulling files up and down. But if it's active while you are recording, even though you might not be actively using your network, it's like having another AV software running.

Any comments?

This post here confused me. Keep in mind that I get the impression that you are quite more computer savvy than I am.
It gave me the idea that even if your windows 7 machine is off line, the ‘ internet demons’ could still get you.

Ahh ok i see now , well yes gremlins can still get into your pc from infected portable media. EG if you download files for a project onto your on line pc and it happens to have some malicious software in there it can sneek onto say a mem stick if you use that to transfer the files to your off line pc. Also if you receive files from a Mac based unit youll notice a file called MAC_OSx ( or similar ) DO NOT OPEN IT , your pc wont like it. If you happen across one of those files delete it.

Reactions: RFR

Also if you are using an admin account on your off line pc and you do get a gremlin on there it will have greater access to important files / folders etc.

Reactions: RFR
I wouldn't be so worried about getting hit with a gremlin from a flash drive. The vast majority of malware these days seems to target your personal data to be stolen via your internet connection. If you are truly offline and air-gapped, the malware has no way to complete it's mission.

The days of people writing malware just to be nasty and reformat your hard drive for fun seem to be over. They want the money.

Back