Windows 7 v Windows 10 for music production?

You can disable those annoying pop-ups trying to get you to update

How? I have Win 10 Pro on my Laptop and it won't let me. It will just install updates in the middle of the night and reboot regardless of what my computer is currently doing. Also... how do you disable the god damned Windows Anti-Malware Executable shit that seems to take up 80% of my CPU every time I turn on the Laptop or run any programs... Windows won't let me kill that process... Can you tell that I hate Win 10? I'll be installing an old Workstation in place of my Laptop soon, and it'll probably stick with Win 7.

I'm going to get a copy of Ubuntu Linux Studio to try. I've read it even comes with a video editer.
The snag may be interface drivers.

How? I have Win 10 Pro on my Laptop and it won't let me. It will just install updates in the middle of the night and reboot regardless of what my computer is currently doing. Also... how do you disable the god damned Windows Anti-Malware Executable shit that seems to take up 80% of my CPU every time I turn on the Laptop or run any programs... Windows won't let me kill that process... Can you tell that I hate Win 10? I'll be installing an old Workstation in place of my Laptop soon, and it'll probably stick with Win 7.
I wrote a small post about this on the Cubase forum ages ago regarding disabling " svchost " background processes .. ill see if i can find it and post it here.... had a quick look and cant find the post , it went through the steps to disable svchost in win 7.

how frustrating ... damn i have to loginto cubase forum now ... arrrgh

brb

ok found it ! i wrote a more involved post with step by step instructions but this one should be an interesting read , theres also a video to help.

maxxdbxx
Feb '16

Had a problem with Elements 8 crashing on start up and sometimes during a session.
after a long drawn out process i found the problem to be in Windows 7 , checking the resource monitor i saw that svchost.exe was taking about 40% of my CPU , which was fine until Cubase needed some ram and it tipped it to crash.
What i did was disable Windows Update @ the dll file , heres a video on how to do it , been working really well since.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rp8vDD6ioM 1
( i managed to finish a project ! wow )
I think a lot of problems we get are more Windows related , it does some really weird things.
m

To be honest, updates don't bother me since I've moved to SSDs. I'll occasionally check to see if updates are available, and if they are, I'll do them before I start doing anything that's going to be sensitive to the amount of resources. With the one old laptop that has a spinner, updates take much longer.

Likewise, Win Defender hasn't given me any problems. Years ago I used McAfee, and had gobs of issues with it. A friend had issues with Norton. Defender has been the least intrusive AV software.

If you're off the 'net, you can disable Defender.

i found this but not tried it ...

Understand the limitations of this method. While disabling the automatic update service will temporarily halt any Windows 10 cumulative updates, the service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time. Here are the directions:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.

2. Type services.msc and press Enter.

3. Scroll down to Windows Update, and double-click it.

4. In Startup type, select "Disabled". Then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the settings.

I see that some folks have their DAW's connected to the internet. Is there an advantage to this? I am firmly in the I hate WIN10 automatic forced update group so I am planning on keeping my machine off of the net. Is there any reason to change that?

well - if you don;t install any Spitfire apps, or Cubase, or Kontakt or (add in numerous everyday apps I use on my system), you can be internet-less but I use all these things and they check on startup, and some really need you to check in regularly to see what has been added, often free instruments and gizmos. It's just plain stupid to even attempt to run the more sophisticated stuff without an internet connection. Even more important when everything an application needs comes via the net, and for security, is checked each start up. Looking at the screen here now, Adobe have at least one update appeared today.

If you buy decent apps - they assume a permanent internet connection is available. If you don't have one, they don't work. I hear some people download on one computer, then transfer the files to another, then go back and get the next update and it works, but Cubase and Adobe - probably my most often used applications do not give you an internet free option. On top of this, there are more and more subscription services - like the excellent Roland historical synth one. However, the ones I would miss most would be Spitfire. Most weeks they give their customers new free stuff, new offer stuff and upgrades.

I see that some folks have their DAW's connected to the internet.

Some folk simply like to use software of their choice and have access to things they need. Being forced to only use certain applications and sounds is a real barrier to creativity. If you are paranoid about the dangerous internet wrecking your systems, then instigate security systems - off-site regular backups, and software to ensure they're done properly. Some restore software you trust for emergencies, and a virus protection service you can live with that isn't too draconian in saying compuyter says no.

What is the very worst that can happen? A user does a silly thing and doesn't pay enough attention and downloads that dodgy copy of the software from a site in Russia, and ecrypts their computer. Somebody else might have a single hard drive that fails spectacularly with the same result through no fault other than bad luck. You buy a new drive and start again, exactly the same as you could do if the worst internet virus had a go at you. Fix the PC, download your content and carry on.

The internet is part of life. Trying to avoid it puts you in a very small xenophobic club. Sure - there is a risk, but it's perfectly manageable.

I'm off overseas for ten weeks. My macbook holds really vital data for the job. This morning I've backed it up and put that back up on my older macbook. I have two identical machines. One will live in the office and the other in the place I'm staying. If something happens to macbook 1, I carry on using macbook 2 - and if the problem is terminal (as it was one year when one got smashed accidentally with a scenery truck) then I buy yet another, and put the backup on it.

If you are really worried about the internet - then really computers perhaps should not be what they are - just a tool. Would a carpenter not use his best chisel, on the chance he might uncover a nail? Just always use your second best one, just in case?

postscript.
Something horrible DID happen to the MacBook in the office. The battery died when I tried to use it on batteries. Went from 100% to off in five mins. Charged back up seemed OK. Did it again, but this time, it wouldn't come back on. Off to see the genius. Battery has died - they only think 2 yrs is about right for a battery in a MacBook, more than that and you're on borrowed time. Battery is glued in, so it's having new battery and other new bits - £200. First question. Have you backed it up? Second question. Please sign this waiver that says although we will try, you may lose the data if we need to replace the drive. Not only virus attacks and the internet kill computers stone dead. If it comes back dead, it'll take me an hour or two to replace the applications and data files I have all backed up.

Then internet means you need to understand the risk and take steps to reduce the risk. It is for my work and leisure activities not an option.

So my Win10 Laptop still kinda sucks... but I was able to get around the terrible disk/cpu issues of Microsoft Defender by installing another (any other) light weight anti-virus software. And while I maintain that Win7 was 100x better than Win10 is... I'll be installing a Fresh Win10 SSD in my Workstation that will be taking the place of my Laptop and not using the Win7 or updating that drive because some of the VST/Software I'm using requires Win10. Wish me luck. ;)

postscript.
Something horrible DID happen to the MacBook in the office. The battery died when I tried to use it on batteries. Went from 100% to off in five mins. Charged back up seemed OK. Did it again, but this time, it wouldn't come back on. Off to see the genius. Battery has died - they only think 2 yrs is about right for a battery in a MacBook, more than that and you're on borrowed time. Battery is glued in, so it's having new battery and other new bits - £200. First question. Have you backed it up? Second question. Please sign this waiver that says although we will try, you may lose the data if we need to replace the drive. Not only virus attacks and the internet kill computers stone dead. If it comes back dead, it'll take me an hour or two to replace the applications and data files I have all backed up.

Then internet means you need to understand the risk and take steps to reduce the risk. It is for my work and leisure activities not an option.
Two years is good for a battery? What kind of nonsense is that? I have an I3-2350 laptop that is 11 years old, has been upgraded to Win 10 and will still run for a solid hour or more on the battery pack. It's not fast but it works. Even with a dead battery, it should power up on a power supply.

Finally, a glued in battery? What brain dead engineer came up with that gem?

It certainly doesn't make me want an Apple.

They're well known for hating the concept of users repairing or upgrading, and go out of their way to make life tricky - like soldering drives in, not usuing sockets. Mind you I bought Dell laptops until they started coding their power supplies so a replacement, non-original would trigger a message telling you it was not the correct PSU and they're refuse to charge the battery!

They're well known for hating the concept of users repairing or upgrading, and go out of their way to make life tricky - like soldering drives in, not usuing sockets. Mind you I bought Dell laptops until they started coding their power supplies so a replacement, non-original would trigger a message telling you it was not the correct PSU and they're refuse to charge the battery!
When did Dell start coding the power supplies? I have an XPS 15 7590 that I bought new 2/21. Since I have a bunch of older Dell power supplies, it's easier to just leave a power supply where I use the computer instead of carrying one around. I bought several of the adapter cords that go from the large diameter plug of the older Dell power supply, and have the small diameter plug on the other end for the new Dell. They all work fine and will charge the battery even when the computer is in use, so capacity does not seem to be a problem.

On at least three Dells I have owned, a message comes up - the power adaptor type cannot be verified - charging is inhibited or something very like that message, The 17" one just refused to accept the same voltage, same power capacity charger from a different one. No idea how the computer determines the charger is the wrong type if the voltage is the same? T'internet says this.
As the error says, this means your PC cannot identify the charger you plugged in. The power connector consists of 3 pins, 2 are power and earth, the 3rd is a signal line to identify the PSU as a compatible (Dell) unit. If the Laptop does not get the signal, it does not allow the PSU to charge the battery, it will, however, allow it to power the laptop. This will protect the battery from high currents if the wattage of the charger is higher than the OEM specification. If you choose to ignore this message, the system performance will go down, and you will notice that your processor clock speed has been halved.

I looked into this and it appears that they use a plug with a sleeve on the outside and inside of the plug for power, plus a sensing pin in the middle. There is some type of ID chip in the PSU that tells the computer that it's the correct voltage and wattage. The posted reason for this annoying setup is "safety", such that you can't use an incorrect voltage or supply with too much power and overcook the lithium battery and have a fire or explosion. Of course, they could just as easily put the chip in the battery pack and limit the voltage. Li-Ion battery charging systems are supposed to measure current draw and drop to a trickle once the battery is charged anyway. Otherwise you couldn't plug your Tesla into the wall and leave it overnight without burning your car and your garage down.

It doesn't hurt that you have to buy an authentic Dell certified power supply at probably 4 or 5 times the price of a generic replacement. Corporate bean counters love that kind of thing.

Back