Windows 7 v Windows 10 for music production?

Ahh ok i see now , well yes gremlins can still get into your pc from infected portable media. EG if you download files for a project onto your on line pc and it happens to have some malicious software in there it can sneek onto say a mem stick if you use that to transfer the files to your off line pc. Also if you receive files from a Mac based unit youll notice a file called MAC_OSx ( or similar ) DO NOT OPEN IT , your pc wont like it. If you happen across one of those files delete it.
Thanks.
There’s a lot of stuff about computers that I don’t know. So.........I’ll ask questions

I wouldn't be so worried about getting hit with a gremlin from a flash drive. The vast majority of malware these days seems to target your personal data to be stolen via your internet connection. If you are truly offline and air-gapped, the malware has no way to complete it's mission.

The days of people writing malware just to be nasty and reformat your hard drive for fun seem to be over. They want the money.
Hey Talisman , i have some interesting articles here , some are far fetched and wouldn't really apply to us average humans, but an " Air Gap " is not necessarily a guarantee of security. Wether or not this applies to any of us its interesting info , personally im a tad paranoid of my off line studio /pc and the hundreds of files and mixes that would be irreplaceable if they were to be infected , not to mention losing a clients personal intellectual property. Yes i have back ups , but what a pain in the arse to re populate .. id rather err on the side of caution myself.

Bit more far fetched however Kaspersky imo one of the most secure systems avail publicly, wrote this article. Im betting they have some info thats not common knowledge.

Being able to access electrical equpment through the power grid has been possible for almost 2 decades , i first heard about it 13 years ago from someone that had used it ..

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ble-to-data-theft-via-power-supply-radiation/

Does anyone use a VPN for accessing systems, especially like Rob, where he is logging into a NAS drive from a remote location? The only thing I would worry about is that it's one more layer of software running in the background that could mess with latency. It wouldn't matter if you are just pulling files up and down. But if it's active while you are recording, even though you might not be actively using your network, it's like having another AV software running.

Any comments?
Hey Talisman , do you mean like a cloud access system via VPN ?

Mark,

I've read about some of those exploits, but if you read closely, many require that you have some physical presence close by, others need an infected smartphone to gather the data. It's getting into CIA/KGB/MI6 territory, or hacking into something like Amazon or Bank of London where there would be immense amounts of valuable data. I seriously doubt that someone is going to go to those lengths to steal a credit card number from your studio computer. It's much easier to just put a card sniffer on the local gas pump and harvest the data, or else just steal your wallet (always a tried and true method).

RE: VPNs, yes, that's kind of what I was questioning. In Rob's case, he has a network drive at home base with a duplicate of the data, so if need be, he could pull down projects that he did at work, and process them at home or on location. VPNs encrypt internet traffic before transmitting, so that if you used public wifi, a thief couldn't read the data that was streaming between your device and your home base. The company that I worked for used a VPN for all company email and to run the accounting/inventory/process software. I could log in at a hotel room, and work securely. However, that type of system is basically like an email or browser in terms of the lack of critical speed demands. For something like a DAW where you might be trying to maintain a low latency environment, does the use of a VPN add an additional load on the operating system that might cause DPC issues.

Mark,

I've read about some of those exploits, but if you read closely, many require that you have some physical presence close by, others need an infected smartphone to gather the data. It's getting into CIA/KGB/MI6 territory, or hacking into something like Amazon or Bank of London where there would be immense amounts of valuable data. I seriously doubt that someone is going to go to those lengths to steal a credit card number from your studio computer. It's much easier to just put a card sniffer on the local gas pump and harvest the data, or else just steal your wallet (always a tried and true method).

RE: VPNs, yes, that's kind of what I was questioning. In Rob's case, he has a network drive at home base with a duplicate of the data, so if need be, he could pull down projects that he did at work, and process them at home or on location. VPNs encrypt internet traffic before transmitting, so that if you used public wifi, a thief couldn't read the data that was streaming between your device and your home base. The company that I worked for used a VPN for all company email and to run the accounting/inventory/process software. I could log in at a hotel room, and work securely. However, that type of system is basically like an email or browser in terms of the lack of critical speed demands. For something like a DAW where you might be trying to maintain a low latency environment, does the use of a VPN add an additional load on the operating system that might cause DPC issues.
hmmm i gonna go with Yes , any information retrieval/trancieve within a system has the potential... where does the encryption get processed ? is it end to end or solo configure ?

A VPN is set up with a provider. When you log in, you create a private network connection with your provider. All data is then encrypted and your IP address is hidden, so that anyone who might be snooping your signal cannot tell what data is being sent, and you can't be tracked by your address. You can have a VPN tunnel between your home base and theVPN server, and another between your off site system and VPN server. The data sent from A to B is secure.

My question isn't so much whether the VPN process creates lag (It does, slightly... online gamers sometimes say they get a touch more lag), but how much extra latency to expect with the VPN software activated, even without internet traffic.

A VPN is set up with a provider. When you log in, you create a private network connection with your provider. All data is then encrypted and your IP address is hidden, so that anyone who might be snooping your signal cannot tell what data is being sent, and you can't be tracked by your address. You can have a VPN tunnel between your home base and theVPN server, and another between your off site system and VPN server. The data sent from A to B is secure.

My question isn't so much whether the VPN process creates lag (It does, slightly... online gamers sometimes say they get a touch more lag), but how much extra latency to expect with the VPN software activated, even without internet traffic.
you would need the specific equipment in front of you to determine that , ... hmm why not check latency with and without the VPN software enabled ? then the difference between the two is most likely the added latency parameter

You don’t need to be online to record, playback, edit, mix etc.

Why not stay offline and only go on when you need to.

Last edited:
I have three W7 computers: a custom Gigabyte desktop and 2 laptops: an Acer which has been great, and a Lenovo which is trash, despite being newer. I will buy another laptop for mobile stuff within 2 weeks, Win 7 or Win 8. I am loading up on DAWs which run on Win 7, supported or not. My mail DAW has been Studio One, the last Win 7 version. for some time now. In the unlikely event that I run out of either computers or software to run Win 7 (or maybe Win 8,) I will finally flip[ over to Linux. I will never use W10, or, while I'm at it, Google.

There are a lot of people who feel better to run The Latest Thing, but I don't. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Win 10 is hardly the "latest thing". It's been around for 7 years and is an evolution of NT. It has proven to be solid and reliable, much like XP and 7. Win 8 was a bit of an mess, really, in the same level as Vista.

People who don't think of the internet as you do have personality disorders? How odd.
Well - if you wish to not take advantage of our current music technology benefits, that is of course a choice - but it's a rather strange one. I always use Sound on Sound as a published guide to what is available, what is good and what is bad - and if you don't connect to the internet you are shutting yourself off from so much stuff, and lots of it is FREE!

Seriously though, I just wonder how much fear of the dangers to your music system, the net is? Is throwing away really good products because they require the net a balance between security and perhaps less good ones that don't? I don't know - but I just know that music, which helps pay bills, for me - needs the internet.

Back