Wind noise

hairylarry

Hi,

With the nice weather I've been making videos outside which means I'm getting the dreaded wind noise. I also have this problem when I'm doing field recording of live shows at the Craighead Forest Bandshell. I have the problem with recording mics and vocal mics.

To me wind noise is almost impossible to fix in post. It's kind of like white noise all over the place. I have had some luck reducing the problem by rolling off the bass when that is acceptable. Is anyone aware of any filters or other software that helps with wind noise?

I have learned to stay away from condensor mics in these situations. Not only do they pick up wind noise more than dynamics but if the wind gets strong they totally distort. Is anyone aware of any microphones that are especially good at rejecting wind noise?

And finally are all wind screens created equal? When I put the foam wind screens over the mics they help a lot. Is there a brand or type of wind screen I should try to reduce wind noise and not mess up the sound of the mic? I have to buy some so any input on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Wind Noise redux

Hi,

I just got back from the Fool's Ball and I'm really really tired. Way to tired to post anything good.

So I thought I'd give my unanswered post a bump just in case somebody with some input missed it.

It's real to me.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Omni mics are good at rejecting wind noise. The EV 635a is a popular (dynamic) example, used as a broadcast mic for reporters outdoors. You might have better luck with condensers outside if they are true omni (pressure) capsules (eg. pencil mics, not variable pattern LDC's). They will pick up wind noise given enough wind, but it might be worth a try.

Feedback might become a concern if you're working on a stage with a lot of monitors around.

sl

EV 635a mics

Hi,

I have a pair of these. I often use them or my Shure SM61 pair or my Realistic 1070b pair. (EV RE50 clones with a wide frequency response) I use them as a wide spaced pair, 15-20 ft apart 20-30 feet from the stage.

These do much better rejecting wind noise than any condensors I have tried outside.

The right windscreens might help these even more. Does anyone know which foam windscreens I should be looking at? I have to buy some for my vocal mics as well. All of mine are finally falling apart.

Any other mic suggestions for field recording where wind might be a problem?

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I would assume that foam is foam. Unless there are major flaws in a wind screen, it should sound the same as any other.

Of course this is the guy who used duct tape for mic clips on his last major project.

Definitly use dynamics (or small condensers very close to the source, like clip-on or headset mics).

Any good quality foam windscreen should do an acceptable job.

Back