Wimpy Loud

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
wimpy loud is cool and will attract more clients.
And scare off more customers. The sales figures for CD's speak for themself, I'd say. :( For example, I'm sure, Red Hot Chili Peppers would sell more if they were mastered properly, as I would buy them immediately.
bblackwood said:
If he wants to make a point, he should at least be fair about it. By using such a crappy approach to achieving the 'loud' version, he comes off as an amateur at best and deceptive at worst...
It's hard to be sound like a real CD when you only have crappy 22050 Hz mono with low bitrate to begin with. He sure could upload it somewhere else, but probably would get less attention then, I guess. Possibly, it could be done a bit better, but it will never sound great at that volume.

For example, I did listen to the new ABBA complete studio box, and it doesn't sound much better than the loud sound in that video. Couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes. No way would I buy such a ruined collection. The originally released CD's really live from great dynamics like the example in the video does.

Personally I think rather than pointing at limiters and loudness as an issue, it's really a matter of extremes and abuse. Just because a track is lower in volume and not compressed or limited, it doesn't automatically mean that it sounds better either. I think that this was part of Brad's point.

There are excellent uses of limiters beyond abusing a mix so that there are little dynamics left. To tell the full story it would be nice to have a video that demonstrated an original mix, one where a limiter was used as God intended, and then abuse.

Until I see the person who created the video selling services or software though I have to believe his intent was audiophilanthropic. Just because he isn't a skilled ME it doesn't mean that we should throw the baby out with the bathwater.

LogicDeLuxe said:
For example, I did listen to the new ABBA complete studio box, and it doesn't sound much better than the loud sound in that video. Couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes. No way would I buy such a ruined collection. The originally released CD's really live from great dynamics like the example in the video does.

If a remaster can make ABBA sound good, I will bow down to the supreme expertise of the ME and retire. :)

flatfinger said:
The Dennis Miller of M.E.'s

:D

I'm trying to come up with a Metal version of that ABBA snippet, but it's so damn "happy" it doesn't work no matter what I do to it.

I still prefer a "Dancing Fool" over a "Dancing Queen"...

masteringhouse said:
If a remaster can make ABBA sound good, I will bow down to the supreme expertise of the ME and retire. :)

ABBAs mixes are amazing! You're joking right??

Back