Wimpy Loud

Wow that's amazing. Is maximising similar to normalizing so? And has he compressed it to get rid of the peaks? I may have enitrely missed the point :o

I believe he (over) compressed it to get rid of the snare peaks, which made them sound wimpy and also messed with the sound of the entire song.

Probably something I would end up doing if I used a compressor on a stereo mix. :o

TelePaul said:
Is maximising similar to normalizing so?
Normalizing is different. It has no compression involved. You merely raise the volume so that the loudest peak reaches 0dB (if normalized to 100%).
That peak usually sticks out without real value to the music, therefor a reasonable amount if limiting doesn't hurt. To find out what amount is reasonable, you best use a limiter without boosting the volume at the same time and compare it to the imput. If you're happy with it, you can normalize it. The combination of compressing and/or limiting and raising the volume (normalizing) is called maximizing.
Somewhere in between the comments, he wrote what compressors he used, though it doesn't really matter as you can damage your sound with any compressor.

LogicDeLuxe said:
Normalizing is different. It has no compression involved. You merely raise the volume so that the loudest peak reaches 0dB (if normalized to 100%).
That peak usually sticks out without real value to the music, therefor a reasonable amount if limiting doesn't hurt. To find out what amount is reasonable, you best use a limiter without boosting the volume at the same time and compare it to the imput. If you're happy with it, you can normalize it. The combination of compressing and/or limiting and raising the volume (normalizing) is called maximizing.
Somewhere in between the comments, he wrote what compressors he used, though it doesn't really matter as you can damage your sound with any compressor.

Oh okay great, thanks. Is limiting completely different to using a Master Limter?

TelePaul said:
Is limiting completely different to using a Master Limter?
A master limiter is just a limiter you use after mixing down, and of course, it does the limiting. What did you expect?

Wimpy is as wimpy does

I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today...

I was working with a band that compressed the living hell out of a tune and it sounded like crap. The wav file was completely black - no peaks or valleys, just full on black from top to bottom.

They asked if I could make it any louder. Go figure.

It's a decent vid, but it sounds like the guy used the worst limiter he could find to make the loud version...

bblackwood said:
It's a decent vid, but it sounds like the guy used the worst limiter he could find to make the loud version...
Obviously, the intention of his demo is not finding the best compressor, but to question the excessive use of it. Well, with using a really bad compressor applying really unsuitable parameters, the video might be slightly biased, though it is not far from comon practice, unfortunately. Also Youtube is not great quality anyway, so he had to find something really apparent. He did, and he surely made a point.

TelePaul said:
Oh okay great, thanks. Is limiting completely different to using a Master Limter?

I'm just curious, how do you get 14,000 rep points and not know the difference between a regular peak limiter and a mastering limiter?

Robert D said:
I'm just curious, how do you get 14,000 rep points and not know the difference between a regular peak limiter and a mastering limiter?
By going to the New Rep Point Thread for starters :rolleyes: .

There ain't a person with more than 7000 points on this entire BBS that has actually earned them all. Rep points on this BBS are about as legitimate and hard to get as Democratic petition signatures in Chicago. Vote early and vote often...dead or alive. :rolleyes: :p

G.

Robert D said:

Rep points don't mean anything. I mean, there's no way in hell I should have more than Glen, but I do.

bblackwood said:

I sent him a message over YouTube.

He mentioned that he used the multiband compressor and lookahead limiter built into Digital Performer 4.12.

I was curious about the video itself, apparently it was made to represent what limiting does and is not the GUI for the limiting process he used.

LogicDeLuxe said:
Obviously, the intention of his demo is not finding the best compressor, but to question the excessive use of it.
If he wants to make a point, he should at least be fair about it. By using such a crappy approach to achieving the 'loud' version, he comes off as an amateur at best and deceptive at worst...

Well , to be pedantic; If were just streamin mp3 style with limited bandwidth, you really can't be sonically demonstrative in an "accurate way".

I did think the video aspect was a cool way to try and show what "squashed" really means.

That said, It really does depend on the genre and the individual songs , doesn't it: I mean some stuff seems to be able to survive heavy limiting better than others, right? :o

Back