Why!?

BlackHawk2029

A good friend of mine was asking me how to get that death metal "click" kick drum sound, and we couldn't figure it out over the phone, so i had him bring his kicks and pedals over (since i don't have mine here)......

the dumbass is trying to get a bunch of slap using a big poofy felt beaters.

On that note, what sort of beater surface do you all prefer?

Well to get the click you need to ditch the poofy beater and find a plastic or wood one. One old trick I heard that vinnie pual from pantera did was glue or tape a quarter on the bass drum head right where the beater hits. I tried it and man it sure made a click. too much though.

yeah i tried that once. it's quite overbearing. it's not so bad if they've got a little padding over them though, they actually sound pretty decent if you duct tape 'em on, and then a falam patch, but i don't really want that much crap on my bass head.

Why not tape over the felt for the recording and buy an EQ patch for the head. It saves the head in the long run anyway. A lot of it can be acheived with EQ and/or a drum replacer. Also, something that sounds too clicky when alll you have is drums may sounds just right with everything else. If you try and get the perfect kick sound, it might get lost when you put everything else in.

gaffa tape a credit card to the spot the beater hits the head... the rest is EQ, a boost around the 4k range should do it

A good friend of mine was asking me how to get that death metal "click" kick drum sound, and we couldn't figure it out over the phone, so i had him bring his kicks and pedals over (since i don't have mine here)......

the dumbass is trying to get a bunch of slap using a big poofy felt beaters.

On that note, what sort of beater surface do you all prefer?

here is a good recipe for a great kick sound

1 good drummer
2 good drum heads
1 properly tuned kick drum
1 kick drum mic, preferably an AKG D112 or Audix D6
1 (or two if double pedal) plastic beater heads
1 kickpad stuck to the head to save it from being torn to crap
1 parametric EQ

I have had drummers come in with metal kick pads and quarters and all of that crap, but in the end, just keep it simple. The, "metal" sound that you are looking for is all in the EQ. From there, you just have to play with it to get it to your or his taste. Bringing out the high end and cutting some of the low and mids will give you that clicky sound. If you can't achieve it with your mic/kick set up. Try replacing the kick with the sample of your choice that will get that metal sound.

Back