why you put a condensor mic upsidedown

Once upon a time (and still occasionally) the tube mics would get so hot that the heat rising could slowly damage the diaphragm. Not such a problem any more though. Then there are logisitics. It keeps the stand out of the way.

yea...a lot of vocalist, especially rappers, like to move their arms/bodies around a lot while recording. if you had the mic upright on top of a stand, it becomes a lot easier for them to knock things over

I've noticed with some acts, if angled right the suspended mic helps against plosives and makes the performer tilt their head up slightly. Im sure that can be achieved without the mic being suspended but like MadAudio said it just looks cooler :D

It also makes more room so a vocalist can have a music stand, and still be able to see it. They are also less likely to want to grab the mic when its upside down.

TuoKaerf said:
They are also less likely to want to grab the mic when its upside down.

or hang their fuckin' headphones on the mic stand when they're through!!!!!
Bugs the hell out of me when they do that!

According to "The DaVinci Code", hanging a microphone upside down is an old Pagan symbol of fertility, intended to help the artist give birth to a recording worthy of a deity's worship, and became standard practice at The Last Supper when they hung the microphones down from above so they would be out of frame when Leonardo painted his painting. It just wouldn't have been much of a masterpiece with a bunch of mic stands painted in front of everyone's faces.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
According to "The DaVinci Code", hanging a microphone upside down is an old Pagan symbol of fertility

G.

so I'm gonna be impotent for hangin ma cans from the mic stand? :eek:

xstatic said:
Once upon a time (and still occasionally) the tube mics would get so hot that the heat rising could slowly damage the diaphragm. Not such a problem any more though. Then there are logisitics. It keeps the stand out of the way.

I've heard the heat thing from the tubes is completely false. That the heat actually helps to clear up any moisture that may build up on the diaphram. IMO hanging a mic upside down is more about freedom of movement and looking cool.

I've heard the heat thing from the tubes is completely false. That the heat actually helps to clear up any moisture that may build up on the diaphram.

if used/stored properly, there shouldn't be moisture on the diaphragm!

Also they usually want to naturally hang that way.
Less stress on the clamps and components that hold the mic in place.

It does not matter to me whether the heat thing is or isn't true. There are two camps pretty firmly entrenched on that one. And no one seems to actually "know". If I had to choose though, I would play it safe and side with the heat degradation folks;)

One important thing to remember when hanging a mic upside down.... Most of the pics you see are heavy duty $500+ mic stands. Extending a boom and then hanging a heavy shockmount and mic upside down is a recipe for disaster if using a cheapy mic stand. Also, make sure your shockmount is a GOOD one and not a cheapy. It only takes dropping a $2000+ microphone once to realize that the $150 you saved on the shockmount was not worth it:D

This from Neumann:

- sound: slight differences between up+down

- humidity: upside+: heating the capsule slightly, keeps the humidity away.

- longevity: upside- : old 1950s PVC diaphragms might dry out.

- down+: less dust settles on the unused microphone.

- practicability: down+: stand+cable is out of the way :-)

Best regards,
Martin Schneider
Neumann Mic. Development

xstatic said:
Harvey, is this concerning tube mics only for certain parameters?
These are the main parameters that would be affected by the two positionings:

There's some difference of opinion about the the sound in both positions. Klause Heynes claims there's a larger difference than Neumann does. Neither position is "best" - just different. Using the mic upside down does help lower sound reflections from the mic body.

Rightside up, the tube heat will help drive off any moisture on newer capsules - a good thing.

With older condenser mics that used PVC (which hardens and turns brittle), using them upside down may help prolong their life. Rightside up would be a bad thing for them.

Using the mic upside down has two additional advantages: dust won't settle on the capsule as easily, and the mic and cord are out of the way, making it easier to see music stands, and avoiding bumping the mics.

BTW, ribbon mics have some of the same problems:

These are the main parameters that would be affected by the two positionings:

There's a difference in the the sound in both positions. Neither position is "best" - just different. Using a ribbon mic upside down does help lower sound reflections from the mic body.

It's important to use both the rightside up position and then switch to the upside down position as equally as possible to prevent ribbon sag. Same with storage; switch from rightside up storage to upside down storage from time to time.

Using the mic upside down has two additional advantages: dust won't settle on the ribbon as easily, and the mic and cord are out of the way.

Back