Why use hardware???

crunkthanamug

I cant figure out what the obsession is with these MPCs, Tritons, and the like...Do you guys use them just for the sounds they have (cuz Reason dont come with s@#t -- for me at least), or because of the hands-on approach they offer??? Also, does Akai make refills for reason? (or is there a way to get a cd with the same sounds in .wav format) Im saying cuz i dont see the point of spending so much money on that stuff when software can do the job (better in my opinion!). Maybe (subconciously) we just FEEL more "official" with all this coveted gear laying around...somebody fill me in.

I'm wanting to go hardware just to expand my knowledge a little bit and get different approaches, but still use software too. The sounds are good from both....just in different respects. Reason 3 has a little more to offer than 2.5. Most of my beats on my sire were done in 2.5 but I got a hold of all the demo stuff I could find and then some. I used a lot of the factory sound bank too though.

crunkthanamug said:
I cant figure out what the obsession is with these MPCs, Tritons, and the like...Do you guys use them just for the sounds they have (cuz Reason dont come with s@#t -- for me at least), or because of the hands-on approach they offer??? Also, does Akai make refills for reason? (or is there a way to get a cd with the same sounds in .wav format) Im saying cuz i dont see the point of spending so much money on that stuff when software can do the job (better in my opinion!). Maybe (subconciously) we just FEEL more "official" with all this coveted gear laying around...somebody fill me in.
Yeah Money! You can get Triton samples soundfonts for reason it takes some chopping and slicing to get it nice, but I got a partner that has it down. I don't think Akai makes them specifically for Reason, but independent websites have them for sale. You can put anything in Recycle and just chop it up! I'll look for the websites I am fond of and post them... I got 2.5 too, will upgrade soon! I have a MPC 2000xl too, I came across it on ebay for a good price....I like the Thump in the MPC! And I love it as a sequencer.....It's really about to each their own. People shouldn't go out and think that they MUST purchase something that works for someone else. GET WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! I'm like Fieva, I like the best of both worlds, shit I will try anything! Reason works for me! I have a Zoom 1266cd that I am on constantly because I am so comfortable with it. I have SONAR 4 PE and I don't use it. (Not yet anyway) I like recording on my hardware setup!
Reason is about the only software that I use regularly and I have many others, I am more of a Hardware man, but I love to mix it up!

I have to agree! Nothing in my PC could ever change a sound other than some EQ and compression,but when i got my VOICEMASTER PRO i learned quick that the hardware goes beyond the software.

To me it seems that if you want to change the quality of a sound in a software you are running circles,but hardware is so much different.

But on the other hand,i tried to record strings from my XP-30 and they came out horrible,but i pulled out a soundfont and it did the magic.

So i learned to use both,but i still like the hardware better because its more forgiving with quality of an instrument,yet software got that forgiving plugin,that could allways be altered unlike the hardware(realtime).

Hardware is more fun and puts you in the mood :D

I started out with my XP-10 and Cubase. Then I got Reason because my old producer used it and I got to play with it a little bit. I hated the sounds in the XP-10 anyway so off to Reason I went. I played with that for a couple of years and got pretty good with it. Now I see other options that I think would work for me....and I can come up with the dough to get the hardware now.

these days to stay competitive you need both. The one you like the most, hard or soft and the other in order to stay competitive and have flexibility. the day of just using one is done. the only problem is with hard ware its bulky and requires some degree of basic signal knowledge,and its expensive. the problem with software is its free if you know where to look so you keep amassing new progs never really learning one initially untill you realize you are hording. Also you are limited by your pc and need to know the inner workings of things you dont see. on the flip side harware gives you tactile stimulation and your knobs are there so you dont have to wonder what it can do that you dont know about. plus side for software is editting capabilities. so i mean it goes back and forth.

BOTTOM line which ever works for you in the words of the VOODOO child GET INTO YOUR BOX . take whatever you gone use and learn all you can.

For me only becuase it feels better and I perfer knobs, sliders, and etc. then always a computer plus music programs eats memory like pac-man.

I use both (hardware and software).

The pro's and con's of both have aleady been mentioned.

But when it comes down to "it".....

use what you feel most comfortable with (or what your budget can afford). ;)

i use strictly software. but im pretty new to producing.

id like to use harware too, in the future. is there anyway you can use an MPC and Reason together???

crunkthanamug...
you seriously didnt find any reason factory sounds useful?!?!
thats all i use. i have no outside sounds...yet.

ethos said:
i use strictly software. but im pretty new to producing.

id like to use harware too, in the future. is there anyway you can use an MPC and Reason together???

crunkthanamug...
you seriously didnt find any reason factory sounds useful?!?!
thats all i use. i have no outside sounds...yet.

Well, I make RnB mainly... And the factory soundbanks just dont have a good selection of pads and smooth sounding guitars. The strings are lacking too, IMO. And, until you get some decent hiphop kicks (ie 808s), the drums really dont bump the way they should. There is no good sub-bass... The list just goes on and on. Dont get me wrong you can make some decent stuff with it but its not gonna sound anywhere near professional (its like all the "polishing" sounds (sleighbells, good snaps, claps, cowbells, rimshots, shakers, scratches, etc etc) were purposely left out so they could have a market for sample cds.)
P.S. Just noticed the signature....LOL!

Reason 3 is a little better with the strings, but for guitars I use soundfonts and the Insane Guitar demo refill. I don't use Reason's drumkits...I have my own.

Fieva said:
Reason 3 is a little better with the strings, but for guitars I use soundfonts and the Insane Guitar demo refill. I don't use Reason's drumkits...I have my own.

Im not really knowledgable about soundfonts, can you explain a little...whats the deal with them (do use need a different program to use them?)

ethos said:

MPC's have midi in/out too! I have tapped out some nice stuff on the MPC and sent it through Redrum, it's a great tool...........

Back